Big interesting find

ipp

Sep 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad found this while squirrel hunting yesterday in the woods in a small washout..its the size of a big dinner plate and probably weighs 60 70lbs..any ideas on what might be?
IMG_20150906_112447.jpg

Upvote 0
first off i do not know...but it reminds me a lot of a "press" that collects oils when something is ground or pressed into those "channels" and then runs into the "spout" to be gathered. It looks functional not decorative.

sort of like this concept.

images

Looks a little like an early concept of millstones. Though not a more modern millstone as there is no center hole to drive it.
Lands and grooves and a place for crushed grain to flow if turned counter clockwise.
Very interesting find indeed!.
The context in which found may help.
Were early grains harvested in the area, or were hardwoods predominant thousands of years ago as they are suspected of being now? ,though unlikely.

That's an interesting find. It does remind me of a small portable / home use millstone. A keeper for sure.

It's a millstone. Not sure why it doesn't have the hole, maybe it was unused? The axle that went through the middle kept the stones aligned and kept them from touching (the degree of separation produces everything from cracked
corn to meal to fine flours.) Cool find.

The basic design didn't change for around 1000 years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back