Black Sand Samples

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Samples from two different areas, once the weather improves - smelting will begin the top sample certainly shows promise, both by weight and microscope image.

For those interested in smelting the attached file is about the various flux's used and their purpose.

Johns.png

John Sample.jpg

Rod Sample.jpg

Attachments

• fluxing black sand.pdf
    992 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 4

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And just how many ounces of gold do you expect to see from six pails of ball milled BC quartz. I'll settle in grams.

The best part is what I have learned without relying on gold forum members who refuse to answer questions on cyanide to assure one stays safe in its use.

Once you becpme versed in the language used in refining you'll get your questions answered much quicker using Google..

Cyanide is not the holly grail, but it certainly has it's place in gold recovery provided the feed stock is right for the application.
Any gold recovery would be nice.

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
In the pan while roasting a small lot of BC Quartz a layer of sulfur imposed itself onto the bottom of the pan, this afternoon decided to use the tiger torch to vaporize the sulfur.

This is when i noticed metal beads forming, if you look close in the top picture you'll see some small beads.

Flattened one of the beads then subjected it to hot nitric, the leach immediately turned coffee brown which is usually a good indication of the presence of palladium

To the best of my knowledge palladium is the only platinum sister to react to a single acid, next I added hydrochloric acid and the leach has turned orange an indication of platinum.

The tiny bead has been in hot aqua regia for about an hour with little effect. Platinum is very resistant to acids.

The cyanide picked up the platinum

pt 1.jpg

pt leach 3.jpg

pt bead.jpg

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
If there's any gold to be found it's going to be in the black residue recovered from the conc sulfuric acid, the black mud is being roasted.

lost gold 1.jpg

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Interesting event, the gold trapped in the filter paper came out nice and red, what this told me is that I needed to add a carbon source to the un-reacted material.

Bottom picture after roasting with common bread flour as the carbon source. Middle picture, flour mixed in ready to roast.

filter 1.jpg

20131231_185837.jpg

flour.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
The missing gold from the concentrated sulfuric acid, this is the last time it will be shown in any form.

missing gold.jpg

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The small engine I had purchased hasa 5/8" crankshaft the only centrifugal clutch they had was with a 3/4" bore. I bought it, then yesterday went to Vern's AG a buddy who lets me use the shop lathe.

While I was there Kerry a shop hand gave me a heads up on a older woman going into a care home wanting to sell for $5,000.00.

Below is the house I purchased yesterday evening.

This event changes my current plans, just need to finish up milling and roasting the last of the ore, then that project will be completed at a latter date.

Too good to pass up.

As for cyanide leaching it's the most economical method known to man, just adhere to Dr. Williams instructions in the attacted document and you too can recover gold so fine it's invisible to the human eye.

View attachment 2031254

View attachment 2031255

View attachment 2031256
Just read this thread and its all very entertaining, but I couldnt get past this comment. Did you buy a whole house for 5 grand? if so thats incredible in 2023, whatever the condition!

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Just read this thread and its all very entertaining, but I couldnt get past this comment. Did you buy a whole house for 5 grand? if so thats incredible in 2023, whatever the condition!
Yes, 5K clear tittle.

Late last year insulated and paneled the inside of the garage, added 100 amp sub panel with LED lights for my man cave.

Purchased a small wood heater, not yet installed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
That is another failed experiment as far as I can see. Where's the gold?
If I were to be truthful in my reply to you, I'm positive admin would have me on another extended vacation.

Instead I'll use the avaialble forum features to keep the peace between us.

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
When the amps drop near zero the metal ions in the leach will have been depleted, time to pull the wool then dissolved it to recover the gold concentrates for further refining.

wool.jpg

amps.jpg

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the amps drop near zero the metal ions in the leach will have been depleted, time to pull the wool then dissolved it to recover the gold concentrates for further refining.

View attachment 2091376
View attachment 2091377
So the brown powder from the frypan is now in the leach? why are you getting mad and where's the gold you go from one experiment to another and the same result?

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Do you do this for fun or for profit?
What do you think, it took me two years to get back onto the quartz project. I won't live long enough to recover the money spent on building equipment and buying chemicals.

If sharing what I do bothers you and others i can easily stop.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What do you think, it took me two years to get back onto the quartz project. I won't live long enough to recover the money spent on building equipment and buying chemicals.

If sharing what I do bothers you and others i can easily stop.
A little touchy? It was a simple question. Nothing implied but a quest for knowledge.

I really don't care what you post on this or any other forum. I don't have a say in that. I was enjoying your adventure up until the time you seemed to take things personally. It's the internet - everyone has an opinion and most feel free to share theirs. If you find that upsetting you have several choices - none of which I have an opinion on. 8-)

I hope you will learn to enjoy the spotlight a little more and share what you wish here and elsewhere. No pressure from me one way or the other. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Dissolving the steel wool in dilute sulfuric was left with some undissolved wool added nitric the sulfuric liquor blue as a bonus copper was removed, black precipitate in filter suspected palladium.

And now some gold, the cyanide leach had been previously stripped with activated carbon, electroplating captured more gold. Appears electroplating is more efficient.

1.jpg

6.jpg

nitric4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

gold.jpg

gold2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
If the filtrate is in fact palladium I will have learned something very useful.

Palladium Wikipedia.

Palladium dissolves slowly in concentrated nitric acid, in hot, concentrated sulfuric acid, and when finely ground

3.jpg

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Disposing of the nitric wash, using tap water with chlorine precipitated some silver as a cloride.

The filter with the electroplated recovered gold the filter before use weighed empty 4.5 grams, loaded with the gold and suspected platinum the filter now weighs 6.3 grams.

Concentrate gained 1.8 grams.

recovered.jpg

silver.jpg

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Definitely silver chloride, turned black exposed to sunlight.

chloride.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread