What's new

Bone Artifacts need help to identify

whoppy1968

Tenderfoot
Joined
Aug 27, 2014
Messages
7
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi can anyone tell me what type of points I have found? They were found in the Northern Alabama Southern Tennessee
area. Thanks

bone spear point (1).webpbone spear point (2).webpbone tool (1).webpbone tool (2).webp
 
Upvote 0
hey hey whoppy
i see the posting instructions i emailed to you worked

here is my comments were on the return email i sent you a few days ago......maybe some feedback will be heard from some tnetters.......glad you are here and welcome!


WOW very cool the 2nd darker piece appears to have been in water that contained tree roots or other organic growth as it is so dark and probably stained by 'tannins' in the water.........
.....some bone tools get dark by being close to or in a fire but it does not seem like that is the case here.........

........it also seems that it could have been a perforating tool or 'bone awl' rather than a spear point..............
.......i would say that it is not extremely old and most likely was made after contact with traders/trappers/or explorers...........
the reason i say this is that it was made when the bone was still fresh (or still green and still soft)because it seems like it was carved with a metal blade.....at least that is what i think





these are some really cool pieces you have......did you find them?


now the 1rst piece is preserved extremely well and if it is authentic it must have spent most of its life under the ground and does not seem to have had much contact with UV rays (sunlight)............
.......it almost resembles a fishing point........if it wouldn't have the hafting grooves or notches it also would resemble a perforating tool or 'bone awl'


they sure look like nice pieces......if you want to post them on treasurenet you will most likely get some more information as there are some very knowledgeable members that could view them
i really appreciate your efforts in this research you are doing
 
Last edited:
Hi the long one is 7 1/2" and other is 4 1/2" Thanks
 
Were awls notched? If so, why? Nice looking bone tools!!


hey hey rusty.....i was talking about the 2nd darker colored piece when i said a 'perforating tool' or 'bone awl'.....i was not referring to the (lighter colored) notched piece......

i gotta ask myself why i started out giving my opinion on the 2nd piece instead of the first????
 
hey hey rusty.....i was talking about the 2nd darker colored piece when i said a 'perforating tool' or 'bone awl'.....i was not referring to the (lighter colored) notched piece......

i gotta ask myself why i started out giving my opinion on the 2nd piece instead of the first????

... That last part made me laugh :-)
They definitely look odd to me I'm not sure what to call them... some strange evenly spaced lines on that second one.. And what looks like a bit of polish on the first
 
Last edited:
cool larson is the bone king,the first one is not an awl right?
 
ForumRunner_20140829_205850.webp

They do remind me of bone pins we find down this way I have a couple broken ones handy

ForumRunner_20140829_210500.webp



ForumRunner_20140829_210414.webp



ForumRunner_20140829_210500.webp
 
... That last part made me laugh :-)
They definitely look odd to me I'm not sure what to call them some strange evenly spaced lines on that second one.. And what looks like a bit of polish on the first
The 2nd piece, the lines that Gator is talking about is caused from a metal blade being used on that piece, I see the same pattern when I am tilling down a bow in the wood from the knife I use The 1st piece and this is JMO is an awl made after contact with the whites and the reason I say this is I have seen needles made by eskimos that followed this pattern and also notice the polish on the tip and on the back high part of the bone. Like Larson said it has not been in contact with much since it was made. After saying all this I say they are post contact artifacts. Welcome to Tnet:hello:
 
I see lots of nice comments posted here on this thread !!!!
 
I think the notched one is a hairpin and the other a awl. Nice bone finds either way!!
 
... That last part made me laugh :-)
They definitely look odd to me I'm not sure what to call them... some strange evenly spaced lines on that second one.. And what looks like a bit of polish on the first

i dunno what i was thinking???......start talking about the 2nd piece first and then about the 1rst piece last????what???

anyways they are nice artifacts........but slap me for that
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the welcomes I am really happy to have found this site. There are a lot of good people with a lot of good topics and info here. Thanks everyone
 
Hi yep the first is a spear point I believe.
 
Hi yep the first is a spear point I believe.

Let me say I know nothing on bone artifacts but if I was to find the first one rite away I would of guessed a type of needle for making nets with. To me the notches would of been used to tie the cordage on like thread. But that's just me.
 
Thanks for al of your help I really appreciate it.
 
Thanks for everyone help and opinions on my pieces. I greatly appreciate and respect all of them. I hope everyone has a great day!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom