romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...but what is it?

I've said it before, I hate posting without knowing what I am posting but I am sure this will be identified quickly. I got back out to the site I found the old buckles and Royal Fusiliers button for one more hunt of 2011. The top couple inches of the ground was actually frozen so I may have got there just in time...good thing I have a sturdy shovel ;D! Was just finding junk (Colonial junk) and was ready to start heading back to the car when I got a nice even tone showing the target about 3 inches down. Popped the frozen plug and found this coin. I haven't a clue what it is and not even sure of the date (1780?).

I do know that it's old and I didn't have one until today! ;D

Attachments

• 101_0803.JPG
    101_0803.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,345
  • 101_0808.JPG
    101_0808.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 1,512
  • 101_0807.JPG
    101_0807.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 1,504
Upvote 0
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duuhh...just figured it out...1780 or 1790 French 12 Denier!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one heck of a way to finish the year with something you don't have :icon_thumright:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without a doubt a great way to end the year, not many finds but good variety, love the French copper!

Don

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Without a doubt a great way to end the year, not many finds but good variety, love the French copper!

Don

I was wondering what the composition was. It toned in the mid range so I was quite surprised when I popped it out of the plug and it appeared to be silver. It is very silvery in appearance and has no degradation which is usually ever present with copper coins...see the George II copper in the 1st pic? That's what my coppers usually look like from this era.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me that is an awesome find(sure it is to you as well)We had many different races of people out here and to me I would often rather dig a foreign coin than an American,it really tells a story!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

I was wondering what the composition was. It toned in the mid range so I was quite surprised when I popped it out of the plug and it appeared to be silver. It is very silvery in appearance and has no degradation which is usually ever present with copper coins...see the George II copper in the 1st pic? That's what my coppers usually look like from this era.

Yes, IH and I have dug those (or the larger 2 Sols) that looked just like silver out of the hole! Mine was from where you got the Pistareen.

It's 1790.

George II old head, 1746-1754.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

Yes, IH and I have dug those (or the larger 2 Sols) that looked just like silver out of the hole! Mine was from where you got the Pistareen.

It's 1790.

Cool...I would have sworn it was silver out of the hole. Clean up...water or peroxide?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

It's 1790.

Cool...I would have sworn it was silver out of the hole. Clean up...water or peroxide?

not silver but a nice chunk :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

It's 1790.

Try water, then peroxide if needed. When IH dug his 2 Sol he thought for sure he finally hit an 8 reale. You have to see one come out of the dirt to know how much they look like a silver coin... but not all do. It's sort of strange.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

It's 1790.

Try water, then peroxide if needed. When IH dug his 2 Sol he thought for sure he finally hit an 8 reale. You have to see one come out of the dirt to know how much they look like a silver coin... but not all do. It's sort of strange.

There must be something to the copper composition for it to look as it does after being in the caustic ground for 200+ years and to look like silver.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

It's 1790.

There must be something to the copper composition for it to look as it does after being in the caustic ground for 200+ years and to look like silver.

I've always thought zinc.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Your french copper is in great shape with lots of detail. Super way to wrap up the year, not to mention being psyched to start 2012. Good luck to you!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice icing on the 2011 cake! That coin almost looks to be bronze, which seems to hold up better than copper or brass around here.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
they are foolers, like IP said, I thought I had silver with one I've also found some very gray and green as grass, not sure if it's a metal issue or a soil condition either way yours is one of the better ones! good going ,that's a great way to end the season/year!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ironhorse said:
they are foolers, like IP said, I thought I had silver with one I've also found some very gray and green as grass, not sure if it's a metal issue or a soil condition either way yours is one of the better ones! good going ,that's a great way to end the season/year!

Speaking of the field you found that 2 Sol I was just asked yesterday by the other boys if we ever hunted there. They said... "We didn't get "nothin" :laughing7:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like this coin was only minted for 3 years, 1791-1793 so that would make mine a 1792.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions