What's new

Boxes of Large Dollars

seattleMD

Full Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2007
Messages
102
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Anyone ever been lucky enough to find a bank that had or will order you a box of large dollars? If so, have you had any lucky finding keepers in the box?
 
Upvote 0
i found a bank the was thrill to give me $100.00 but no silver...i just spent them in the normal way around town and got a bunch a suprised looks on the clerks faceses.....
 
Friday I obtained 7 rolls and some loose from a bank, $147 total, a customer had recently brought them in. I was hoping maybe a Peace or Morgan mixed in, but nope. I was told siver Ikes are hard to come by.
 
I have also been able to find plenty of loose ikes. I have asked many banks if they can order them but no one says they can. The teller at one of my dump banks received a roll of morgans from an older lady, she wont let me buy them however, even though I get to look at them eveytime I see her. They are out there you just have to be in the right spot at the right time.
 
Until about 2-3 months ago, I could not find a bank that could get Ike's other than what folks brought in. I was able to pick up a few silver dollars in those over the many months.

After asking numerous banks if they could get them, one vault teller said she would check and get back with me. I left that bank thinking the same as the others.....no way. She did in fact call me about a week later and said she could get a bag of $500 worth.

This bag of 500 produced 8 silver dollars (4 Morgan & 4 Peace) and not one silver Ike which was okay by me....lol.

I called back the next day and asked if she could get more and she told me that was all there was. That was my only time of getting any quantity of Ike's.

I have often wondered.....where are all the Ike's??? Are that many folks hanging on to them? They must be because alot of tellers tell me as soon as they get them someone buys them.

So to answer your question.....yes, once I was able to some in large quantities and it produced very good. I wish they were more available to hunt through.

Good luck.
 
I have plenty if you need any. I orders $1000 from St Louis, $1,000 from Indy and $1,000 from Memphis. I think I found about four silver, one peace dollar, and two 1973 Ikes. A bunch of peg legs. And several type 2 bicentennials also several type 2 1972.

Good luck finding them.

Cat
 
I have managed to get a couple bags/partial bags from calling around, its hit and miss, finding them is hard, and like sated above, its about being in the right spot at the right time. building relationships with tellers helps too. I have yet to find a Morgan or Peace but I did find a 76S silver once.

they are a hot commodity, and sell for a premium on ebay, they really are getting hard to find.
 
What are a hot commodity and sell for premium on Ebay???? I still have over 2000 setting here. But I will not take them to the bank. I have sold some locally but have plenty.

Cat
 
My bank tells me all they can do is order dollar coins, what comes is what comes. They may be Susan B.'s, Sacs, or the older dollars. Mostly its the small ones. I get what larger ones I can when I stop in the banks I frequent.
 
You have to tell the bank teller that the only dollar coins on their order form are the small ones. Ask her if she will call her fed reseve and ask for them. That is the only way to get them. She has to call or ask her delivery driver to get them for her.

Good luck
Cat
 
I have a teller that can get me a ll the $1000 bags of large dollars I want. I have been through $3700. I have gotten one silver dollar (1922s), one 40% '74 Ike and a 1973s Ike. Not worth the hassle for me.
 
Ikes are so much trouble. They are a mess and to many things to look for. It takes forever to go through a bag.

Cat
 
Interesting responses. I just spoke to a friend of mine who is the operations manager at a local bank (she is responsible for ordering / managing coin and cash inventory). She called their central cash vault and said the lady who manages it told her that local branches can't order the large dollars since they are no longer supposed to be in circulation. Supposedly the Fed won't allow them to put them back in circulation. Interesting since this contradicts what others have posted about being able to purchase bags or have tellers order them from the Fed.
 
Obviously she has no clue what she is talking about.

Cat
 
I posed the question of purchasing the dollars directly from the cash vault, and her response was:

No. The issue is, more specifically, that the coins cannot leave the vault. I understand that you are a collector, but if the coins were to be released from the vault to the public they are considered to be back in circulation because you would have the ability to spend them as money. Since everything in the vault is on inventory, the bank would have to answer to the Federal Reserve for releasing coins which are out of circulation
 
Tell her that at one time that was true but not any longer. The Feds did recall all the silver dollars and the banks were to capture all of them and return them to the Feds but that was a long time ago when they melted a bunch of them and it is not the case any more. Besides Ikes are not silver and were not part of that. They are still in circulation. I just bought a clothes dryer for my daughter with them. I spent $50 at Walmart and then another $50 in Ikes at Lowes. I am working on getting them back in the hands of the public I will not take them to the bank. Make her let you have them. Ask her how is it that Brinks had delivered three thousand dollar bags to me if that was the case.

HH
Cat
 
HEY just give ME her phone number and I will call her. If your not that far away I can drive up there. Where are you? LOL

Cat
 
As much as I want the dollars, I like her and she has been kind to me with ordering halves so I don't want to push it. I have another operations manager I am friends with at another branch of the bank and I'll work through that route. Perhaps I'll ask for contact information at the central cash vault so that I can speak to the source in person.
 
That is why I said give me her number then I will be the bad guy and not you.

I will be in Portland this summer I could actually drive up there. LOL

HH
Cat
 
Cat J said:
That is why I said give me her number then I will be the bad guy and not you.

I will be in Portland this summer I could actually drive up there. LOL

HH
Cat

I appreciate the thought but I'll spare her your wrath :P
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom