What's new

Braided Hair, 18k White Gold, Military Hat Pin. Old Coins And Relics.

JerV3

Gold Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
5,720
Reaction score
2,618
Golden Thread
1
Location
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey everyone,

As you all know already I stumbled upon a old large park. It is hunted well like I said before. But I felt there were still some misses out there.

I hunted friday, Saturday, And Sunday. Got about 10 hrs or so out in the field last week. Weather was just great to. Did one hunt with the old man on Friday.

Hunted with my boy Saturday. Then Sunday me my brother son and Dad all were out at the old park. We had a nice day.

Things started out well though on Friday. Found a nice little sterling pin right away. It was bent but still a keeper. I was able to bend it back out. I got 2 v-nickles one dated 1907 the other a 1889. Both were really shallow and I think they were passed up because of that.

I also picked up a wheat along the way. But little did I know what was going to come up next. It's happened before like this.

I was trudging along and got a light but solid foil hit. It was inbetween 2 large roots that stuck up on the surface. The hit was actually inbetween the 2 roots.

Anyone who has hunted a long time knows how tough it is to pick up a signal between roots like that. You can't really get a sweep on it. No were to move the coil.

Experience tells me don't let even that light hit get past up. Expecting a .22 shell I dig down about 3 or 4 inches and see a ring wrapped around some roots.

I said to myself in my mind before picking the ring up that it can't be silver because the hit was to low. And it was to shiny to be fake. I grabbed the ring reemed the dirt out of the band to see that great number 18 staring back at me.

Sad part was it held a large stone and it was mising. I looked through the mud and I didn't see anything. It was just to muddy to even try and look for the stone.

I think the piece had a diamond in it. I also think it is a art deco styling. I'm not sure but looked like alot of other rings I saw from the 20's and 30's.

Needless to say my dad was in awe. He knows me by now and just expects me to pull out something good. But I don't know if he really understands how much time I've put into this hobby.

It takes alot of my concentration to pull goods out of a worked area. It's tough if you are not a vet at this.

I also no lie dug a toad everyone. I was in shock. I dug out a huge plug in the woods for a target right. Next thing I know there is a toad in a hollow in the ground hibernating

Pretty crazy to see a toad roll out of the side of a hole. It was like he was asleep. Brought him home for the boys. He thawed out nice. And was very active. He is a large one to.

So we called it a day at that point. Saturday arrived and I couldn't wait to get back out. Things started out fast then went to super slow. I got a half of a pill box marked sterling. Then dead silence for the most part for the next few hrs.

Until all the sudden upagainst a tree I get a nice deep I mean deep silver quarter reading. I proceeded and dug out about 10 to 12 inches of soil.

Checked the pile and the detector was screeming a plus 88. I thought old silver quarter or large token. I said to my son lets move some dirt away and check it out.

There it was. A 1853 braided hair large cent. I let my son hold it and got a shot of him. We were then renued for the hunt. It was one muddy rainy day out to.

We picked up 2 wheats and called it a day. Sunday, Arrived and we were ready to get out again. I was starting to get a little soar but no pain no gain. This is ruff terrain.

I actually got my butt kicked Sunday, A very rarity. My brother pulls up 4 nice old coins. My Dad even gets a wheat. Me no old coins. But I wasn't out of it.

I found some nice relics including a WW1 I think hat pin. A three ringer CW bullet. A old water key. It still was a solid day. Got a shot of my brother holding a buffalo he got that day.

Hope you all like the pics and story.
 

Attachments

  • 3-11-07 001.webp
    3-11-07 001.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,098
  • 3-11-07 002.webp
    3-11-07 002.webp
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,103
  • 3-11-07 003.webp
    3-11-07 003.webp
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,087
  • 3-11-07 004.webp
    3-11-07 004.webp
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,096
  • 3-11-07 005.webp
    3-11-07 005.webp
    11.7 KB · Views: 1,061
  • 3-11-07 006.webp
    3-11-07 006.webp
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,072
Upvote 0
Man, what a great group of finds. Fantastic pix too. An 18k ring too. I bet it is from the 1930's or 40's. Looks like a couple of happy hunters there. Congrats.
-MM-
 
Very very sweet finds! If I were you I would go back to where I found that ring and take a couple of buckets of the soil that surrounded it and run it through screens. If it held a diamond, my guess is that is was one heck of rock and worth mucho dinero! Dang sure worth screening the soil for sure!

Thanks for sharing such great finds
~Nash~
 
Thanks alot everyone.

Glad you all liked the pics. Takes me alot of time to get it all together.

You'll get that large cent Dan. They are tough to come by. Cellar holes seem to be the best places to find them.

DoyBoy, Your right man. My Dfx can really do some damage for me. Yes I do use tone i.d all the time. I also run the 1400 DD coil. 8 Inches by 14. It's one big puppy.

I am definetly gonna have to go back and see if that stone is in that hole. I just found a awesome diamond ring if you all can remember. Now maybe a second one in just a few months after the first.

Hope my luck stays on my side. The ring has very little wear. So I can't see why the stone was gone. I think it may have popped out when the roots grew straight through the center of the ring.

My wife already wants me to have a diamond set into it for her. I have estimated that about a half carat stone was in the center. Maybe it is still in that hole.

It would be something to go back and actually find that stone. I know it's been done before. But the chances are slim. This weekend I am gonna go and check if the snow doesn't come through to heavy.

Thanks again everyone,

HH Jer
 
WTG Jeremy!! Congrats on the cool digs.
Your posts are always some of the best and most entertaining on the site. Thanks!

Smiles!
BDoo
 
Thanks alot Boobie.

Makes me feel good knowing others recognize how hard I work at this. And how much time I spend doing it.

I spend hrs just restoring the items I find. Hope to have another great entertaining yr.

HH Jer
 
Yep...if it's lost, Jer will find it! 8)

What some great finds, Jeremy! :o And awesome pics too! Tell Lance we miss him posting! Good luck on finding that stone! Ya never know, it just may be there. :)

Nana :)
 
Thanks Nana,

I try to atleast. It's tough ya know. Trying to be at the pinnacle of this hobby all the time is tough. I try not to worry about abundance. Because it will come in spurts along the way.

I just try to keep on that track. Even if it's a little bit of old history at a time. It adds up until you hit those better sites inbetween.

Lance, still checks over the board often. He is dieying to post his finds. He isn't really advanced on set ups for his pc. He needs help with that.

He has got some nice things also being out with me. We have alot of fun doing it together. It's not about greed with us. We just love getting out together as brothers.

HH Jer
 
Awesome post and finds Jer! That ring is great, I have not been able to get over 14K. Would be a good idea to go back when the dirt is dry and try sifting for the diamond, looks like a big honker was in there! I also dug up a toad once, freaked me out when the dirt clod moved, LOL! Thanks for the post, always good and HH, Mike
 
Those are some great finds i have never found a area that was hunted out, i am sure that park has a lot more to offer keep it up.
 
Another great post, Jer! Always an enjoyable read.

Good luck looking for the stone!
 
J Dfx,


sounds like all had a good hunt. ;D

Nice, very nice, group of finds.

Going back for the stone, best on that one.

Neat post;

Frogs/toads, ;D sounds like something out of
the bible ;D ;)

Thanks for posting, thanks for all the pics.

have a good un..................
SHERMANVILLE
 
Sweet find's Jer....Look's like "little man" is going to be one hell of a digger like his Dad.Congrat's to you all and HH!!....
 
The missing stone from the ring was most likely pushed out by the frozen ground and is still there where the ring was found. Freezing soil can pop out large stones from rings.
 
Thanks alot everyone.

Mike, This was my first piece of gold above 14 myself. I knew when I saw that 18 that there had to have been a high quality stone in it. And most likely a diamond.

I will be back to check over that hole again. Weather got bad again around here. Not bad but snow and 30's. Ring had very little wear if any.

The stone should have been with the setting still. The roots that went through the ring when I found it may have helped popped it out. I checked the immediate area were the ring was found but no luck.

But the soil was so sticky that a stone would be very easy to miss. It would be one great recovery to actually go back and find it. What are the odds of it being there. And then what are the odds of me finding it.

I agree, the toad was pretty crazy for a moment. Not used to finding them basically frozen and asleep like that. As many of holes as I dug that was a first.

I hope some day Civilman that he enjoys this hobby as much as I have so far in my life. Been one of the best things I ever got into. I was a natural the first day I ever picked up a detector 13 yrs ago.

Lance, It turned out to be a really nice day when the ring came up. You know how it is. These great finds don't come up everyday. You work hard for them.

Thanks again everyone,

HH Jer
 
Just a footnote in regards to that ring. You might want to find out if there are any health concerns?


Quote from:
http://www.jewellerycatalogue.co.uk/gold/what-is-gold.htm#white

"The most common metal used to 'bleach' gold is nickel which is both inexpensive and provides a good platinum look-alike in 18ct alloys. It has however been linked to dermatitis through allergic reactions with the skin. It has also been suggested that it may be slightly carcinogenic. A recent E.U directive has indicated that soon all jewellry will have to be nickel safe with only a few ppm being allowable.

A typical white gold alloy might be
18ct gold 0.750, copper 0.055, nickel 0.145, zinc 0.050
A typical nickel free white alloy might be
18ct gold 0.750, copper 0.040, silver 0.040, palladium 0.170"


Don't want anyone getting sick over a ring.


F.
 
I hope you find the stone Jer.

Excellent post. I enjoyed that a lot! ;)



Ridley
 
Great finds, looks like you cleaned them up real nice.
Reminds me of a car lot how the wheels look so shiny and new.
Good job and way to hang in there with the bad weather, it looks as
though it was definately worth it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom