What's new

Brand new to MD with a question

aeromed73

Tenderfoot
Joined
Mar 19, 2018
Messages
9
Reaction score
13
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope I am not repeating a common question but I searched the forums and could not find it. I am brand new to this. Just got my first MD last week. Took my sons out with me on our first official "treasure hunt" and kept getting hits in high 70's to low 80's showing at a depth of 8+ inches. This was about 3 feet away from the base of a very large pine tree. Dug down about 6 inches never getting a hit from the pin-pointer. Ran the detector over it and still receiving the same hits and still showing a depth of 8+ inches. I widened the hole enough to place the MD head inside and dug it out to 8 inches. Still nothing at all on the pin-pointer and when I placed the MD onto the bottom of the hole I am still receiving the hits ranging from 77 to 86 and it still shows a depth of 8+ inches.

Am I chasing a ghost? We found multiple old umc newclub shotgun shell heads in the area about 8 feet away.
 
If it was me, I'd keep digging. Getting a solid hit that keeps on showing metal under a tree is something I would ALWAYS continue to dig for. The depth indicator is based on a coin lying flat. It does not necessarity indicat the actual depth of other objects. KEEP DIGGING...and let us know what eventually comes up!
 
Keep digging... until whatever is causing the signal is found... Don't give up.

I will just point out the fact...

The base of a tree is one of the most common spots to bury items for safe keeping.

Also a common place for lost items.
 
Also check the roots with the pipointer. I've had mineral rich roots on big trees ring up as targets. :skullflag:
 
Keep Digging, never stop at the base of a tree... You never know!!! Good Luck
 
Thanks guys! Will keep the thread updated!
 
If you've got someone proficient in the area to hook up with: Meet and trade off flagged signals. Watch how he isolated and choose what to dig (versus what he'd pass). Watch how he pinpoints. Watch how he digs. Because whenever someone comes on with "disappearing signals" issue, it's usually a discrepancy of what a person is considering a "signal". And often has a simple explanation, that can only be spotted when in-the-field on actual test targets.
 
The signal never disappears it just keeps saying 8+ inches after digging down a ways. Never have had a hit on the pin pointer though. But I do plan on trying to find some established MD'ers in the area to meet up with.
 
The signal never disappears it just keeps saying 8+ inches after digging down a ways. Never have had a hit on the pin pointer though. But I do plan on trying to find some established MD'ers in the area to meet up with.

Um... you just met them... ALL of them... Treasurenet is and has been home away from home for many if not all of the best MDr's :)

Now.. your help has already started.

Bill is in the mail... and we are a lot cheaper than some "dude" you meet with a detector who may lay claim to whatever you find under that tree.

Dig first... include later.

:)

PS... just kidding about the bill...

Initial consultation is free. :P
 
Last edited:
Your name is AeroMed. Pilot, nurse or Paramedic?
 
Once upon a time I was search and rescue back in my military days :)
 
Deep big iron can ring like that, only one way to find out. Dig it
 
Run your pin pointer on the sides of the hole you could be alongside of your target. I have had that happen. Every time you run your M D by it rings out.
 
8+ means just that If you are at the bottom of your hole and it says 8+ go deeper. I have seen very nice large targets recovered at over 2 feet deep. It has to be big for the MD to see it that deep. Like AARC says Keep digging and let us know what it is. Unless it is a Pile of gold coins. I would be pretty quiet about that Cheers
 
Could be a bullet encased by a root too. That would suck digging it out. Hope it turns out to be something really good.
 
Raise your coil about a foot over the whole, if it's ringing in loud, it's been my experience you are over a utility line.
 
You know if you run your coil 8 inches under a steel pipe, it will register. Wouldn't be the first time the target was up instead of down.
 
I finally have the time tomorrow to head back out. The place is in the middle of nowhere 9 miles down a dirt road and then another 1.5 mile hike. No structures for at least 5 miles in any direction so if it's piping or utility lines they are likely older than my dad. Wish me luck!
 
Dig um. Dig um! Sometimes you find a treasure, sometimes a hunk of steel. The chase is where it is at
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom