• acorn1.jpg
    acorn1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 2,961

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: brass acorn

Here is the part that has me confused...the connecting chain links....very weak points....so could not pull anything heavy once you snagged it...If it was attached to a fishing line....hmmmm for what? .......... as a sling? again ..that might work but then only for small small game. If we are using it as a fish tape ...say to pull wires t through walls....the spikes just seem extreme for that.........if we are retrieving something from a pipe,drain or welll....again any pressure on those chain links would break it. I am still leaning toward the line thrower theory...but hey who knows....I have spent way to much time looking for this now... :)

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It appears to me to have been attached to a Key chain for Decoration.

Maby a Weapon on the Side ?

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I think its some kinda puller- outa or hangs on a keychain.
Why the knurling on the top of acorn?

A good clue would be where was it found?

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1. WE DO NOT HAVE MEASUREMENTS.
2. WE DO NOT KNOW IF TOP IS THREADED.
3. RINGS HOLDING OBJECT ARE PROBABLY BRASS AND QUITE SOFT.
4. IS IT SPRING LOADED?
5. ARE THERE ANY MARKS ON IT?
6. ??? I HAVE SEEN SOMETHING LIKE THIS BEFORE, BUT I CAN NOT REMEMBER, WHERE, WHEN OR WHY.
7. ANY OTHER POINTS TO ADD?

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve001.....measure this thing ...if you don't measure the thing we can't help you...we are all banging our heads here..or do you already know what you have? ??? hellooooooo

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

dg39 said:
1. WE DO NOT HAVE MEASUREMENTS.
2. WE DO NOT KNOW IF TOP IS THREADED.
3. RINGS HOLDING OBJECT ARE PROBABLY BRASS AND QUITE SOFT.
4. IS IT SPRING LOADED?
5. ARE THERE ANY MARKS ON IT?
6. ??? I HAVE SEEN SOMETHING LIKE THIS BEFORE, BUT I CAN NOT REMEMBER, WHERE, WHEN OR WHY.
7. ANY OTHER POINTS TO ADD?
8. WE DON'T KNOW HOW HEAVY IT IS.
9. WE DON'T KNOW WHERE IT WAS FOUND OR WITH WHAT.

The biggest clue could be no. 5.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Steve001

May 24, 2006

bigcypresshunter said:
We pick-up clues by asking questions, and there are a lot. Sorry to hear you cannot answer them at this time.
I think I see part of a thumb in second pic, so it must be small, like about one inch. If that helps.

The jpg of the acorn displays smaller on my pc so I'm able to better measure and guesstimate the dimensions.Yes I agree I do see a portion of the left thumb and that the acorn is at least 1 inch to 1 1/4 inches in width and length as shown in the photos. With those estimates I'd say the stem is about but not less than 1/4 inch diameter with about 3/4 inch of exposed stem.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

NATF said:
I'll try again doc...how about something to pull a cleaning rag through the barrel of a rifle or shotgun....next...
NATF
I see no improvement over a cleaning jag unless it spins as it is pulled? It would have to be 5/8" dia. or smaller. But maybe...
Whatever it is, it looks to be used very little, and should have patent nos.

I just noticed; STEVE, can you answer any of our questions?

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

NATF said:
I've used something similar to retrieve a lure that had snagged on a submerged tree....slip it on the line through the link slot with line attached to it and let it travel down the line to the lure and pull....
NATF

I think you are onto something here....I looked under lure retrievers and alot of them are similiar in design and size...

Upvote 0

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan

Ok, here's the answer.

It is a dangler for the ceiling fan made to keep the kiddies from screwing with the light and fan.

Sorry guys, but "Little acorn with retractable, hidden spikes" just screams 99 cent "Ninja" weapon. The design of this item also screams "Made in Pakistan" where all the 99 cent knives come from.

As a cleaning jag, it isn't really feasible.
As a drain cleaner, how do you get the thing to go around bends in drains and how do you get the spikes in the back to hook onto whatever is in front of it keeping the water from passing?
And as a lure retriever, I believe you are refering to the type that uses it's weight to knock the lure loose, but now when your lure is loose and you start to pull back the retriever you have a set of spikes instead of just a set of hooks.

I am still going with 99 cent Pakistani Ninja weapon.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Still looking...similar set up that may push right direction...HANGY DOWN THINGS...be it from a sword ...or flail?????!!!!!Later!

Attachments

• fs20-32MACEflail.jpg
    fs20-32MACEflail.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 2,351
  • wm69693double_skull_mace.jpg
    wm69693double_skull_mace.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 2,395
Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very true...It would have to be more of a solid..heavy piece ...gotcha...understood...could this be a young persons toy (replica) of a weapon maybe...not having a date on it is hard to pin a name...sort of a morbid piece for jewelry...who would hunt a squirrel with this...Im not brushing off the idea of it cause anything was and is possible...Later!

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK, No anwsers from the original poster. With no anwsered questions, I feel that we are being laughed at for trying to solve this one, so I'm out.. 8)

Upvote 0
A

Aguila

If centrifugal force pushes the spikes out it could be an atachment to a flail.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dg39 said:
OK, No anwsers from the original poster. With no anwsered questions, I feel that we are being laughed at for trying to solve this one, so I'm out.. 8)
Same here Dg39......Since yesterday this one has seemed odd!

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Aguila said:
If centrifugal force pushes the spikes out it could be an atachment to a flail.
But according to what little the owner says...it would have to be turned and locked to spike....

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diving doc said:
The very tired squirrel joke is just for fun of course. The very function and the ornamentation of this tool has me stumped. I'm waiting for an answer as well. Anything is possible.
Doc
It would be nice to know...I wish that Steve001 would just go ahead and say what he has here instead of waiting to call all of us ..........whatever...You just never know what some will do....OKAY STEVE001....SHOULD WE JUST SAY IT.....OKAY WE GIVE UP WHAT HAVE YOU GOT HERE? If there is not a response Im blocking this one out....but I wont forget it. what was this object? where did you find this object? were there other finds with this object? is this object brass copper or you dont know? how big is this object? do you think it will open separate or come apart?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread