What's new

Brass objects.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
Joined
May 1, 2010
Messages
1,183
Reaction score
1,355
Golden Thread
3
Location
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug these four unidentified items about four feet apart. The first is 2 3/8 long widest end 5/8. The second is 2 5/8 four beveled edges. The third is 2 3/4 inches, widest part 11/16, and looks like a small funnel. The fourth is 2 5/8 long and looks like it was busted off of something. These items are all made of brass.
 

Attachments

  • Four unidentified.webp
    Four unidentified.webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 850
  • other side.webp
    other side.webp
    28.1 KB · Views: 815
  • Four unidentified.webp
    Four unidentified.webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 805
  • other side.webp
    other side.webp
    28.1 KB · Views: 790
  • Four unidentified.webp
    Four unidentified.webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 785
  • other side.webp
    other side.webp
    28.1 KB · Views: 798
And the item to the left might be a part off a musket. I looks like it might be a broken piece of the trigger guard. Where it holds it onto the musket.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Great I.D.'s guys.Is the piece on the right possibly from a quill pen?
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
Great I.D.'s guys.Is the piece on the right possibly from a quill pen?

I think it might be the end of a ramrod channel from a musket.

The jew's harp ID is spot on.

-Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Yes, called a "entry pipe." Gun parts and jew's harps together usually mean Indian sites. These are all trade items. The brass roll ( :dontknow: ) would be made from brass kettle scrap.
 
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
Yes, called a "entry pipe." Gun parts and jew's harps together usually mean Indian sites. These are all trade items. The brass roll ( :dontknow: ) would be made from brass kettle scrap.
Good points guys,Indians....as said tinkler???(brass roll)the fur trade guys will know
 
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
Not a typical tinkler, but hand made stuff... who knows?
Thats what I thought, not typical, but I dont know much about them.
 

Attachments

  • indian tinkling cone making.webp
    indian tinkling cone making.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 784
  • indian tinkling cones.webp
    indian tinkling cones.webp
    9.7 KB · Views: 760
  • ramrod entry pipe.webp
    ramrod entry pipe.webp
    8.2 KB · Views: 676
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Interesting remnants. The metal detecting elite may simply tell you to place into the junk bucket but I think there may be a chance at ID.

Could the funnel type item be an American Indian tinkling cone?
http://www.indians-artifact.com/american indian tinkling cone.php


Maybe the detecting elite know what they are talking about because they actually detect and don't spend their time being bitter and trying to start this crap all over.
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
kuger said:
Great I.D.'s guys.Is the piece on the right possibly from a quill pen?

I think it might be the end of a ramrod channel from a musket.

The jew's harp ID is spot on.

-Buckles


I missed your post, and was just ready to post a couple pictures (still will) and that's what it is. (Musket lower ramrod pipe) We dig a lot of ramrod parts and jews harps here.
 

Attachments

  • BN6034-2.webp
    BN6034-2.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 667
  • BN6034-4.webp
    BN6034-4.webp
    94.2 KB · Views: 969
Upvote 0
Jew's Harp, from Voyageurs National Park Artifact Study:
 

Attachments

  • Voy-NP artifacts.webp
    Voy-NP artifacts.webp
    57.9 KB · Views: 671
Upvote 0
artyfacts said:
That is allot of pipes, and a positive match on the musket ramrod pipe part, very exciting. I noticed that the one I dug is different from the ones in the photo. Anyone have a ramrod pipe part dater handy? And a positive id on the jews harp part. A possible indian tinkler, who would have thought, thanks for the history lesson. One left and anyone with a date on the musket part?
A better match on the 1746 musket ramrod entry pipe. :wink:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(wescnfreg0x4jk45okya2g45))/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=14&subId=165&styleId=744&partNum=RP-BESS-46
 

Attachments

  • ramrod pipes brown bess.webp
    ramrod pipes brown bess.webp
    21.1 KB · Views: 888
Upvote 0
Thanks guys,I learned something,I never have dug a ram rod holder like those. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
That's a pretty generic style to put a single year date on... :icon_scratch:
yea thats why I put the little wink face. It was supposed to be a joke. Of course we cannot date it as one individual year but I think we can safely say its a better match of a very old musket part and a nice area to search further. 8)
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
Thanks guys,I learned something,I never have dug a ram rod holder like those. :thumbsup:


It's funny, the smaller thimble has been a common find for me having dug 5 or 6 in the last two years, but I can't seem to get over the two larger pieces anymore. You would think there would be equal amounts in the ground and the larger pieces easier to find.
 
Upvote 0
Yea,you would sure think so?Like I cant find a complete gun I guess,I have a box full of musket,and pistol parts but have only found one complete example(pistol)Same goes for the Jews Harps(which you dig ALOT of)my buddies are finding them all the time.....my coil just cant get over one!! :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
artyfacts said:
I like the shock factor after you think you cleared an area and right under your feet you find something the size of Kansas. It makes me scratch my head and mumble.
That happened more this year than ever,might of had something to do with a unordinary ground moisture :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom