csachipper

Apr 9, 2009
Kenansville NC
Detector(s) used
T2 / Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
British 71st Officer's button

I found this a couple of weeks ago, a 71st Highland Officer's button. I found it while searching a colonial spot that we have been hunting for a couple of years now. It's not what I was looking for but I will take it.
. 71st.JPG

Upvote 12
I guess you should take it! That's a nice one. I've found a couple 71st pewters but are a far cry from that.

Man I'd be looking for that! That is a beauty. Look great in a display. Don't see em in that condition often

That certainly is a beautiful button and in great condition too! :thumbsup:

Dave

I like it too.

Great find on the officers button. I found three 71st inlisted pewter buttons here in Chatham Co.,NC but nothing like that Beauty. WOW!!

How would you go about cleaning that?

If you wanted to clean it just a minute or two in lemon juice, take it out a squirt of dish soap and a little rubbing, and the silver plate would shine. Really comes down to matter of opinion, but for an officer button I do prefer them to shine.... I mean if you're lucky enough to get one loaded with silver or gold why not. What we're looking at is mostly tarnish, and maybe a little dirt and corrosion, not patina in the sense I like it. Even just soap and water would go a long way if that is a dirty field pic.

Well, you should have been looking for it...lol

Very nice.

What's not to love about that beauty , have fun in the sun .. back to brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :coffee2:

I'd be beyond excited to dig that button. Like someone said above - it should be what you are looking for now! That is a great Revolutionary war relic to find in SE North Carolina. Based on Cornwallis' march from Wilmington to Yorktown you are directly in the path.

Attachments

• southern campaign.jpg
    southern campaign.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 106
Doesn't matter if you were looking for it, it found you!! Great button, might be more in the area :thumbsup:

very awesome button, super high on the cool factor

Congrats on the button it's condition is really nice.

My great-great-great-great grandfather James Webster commanded the 33rd, and fought alongside the 71st. He died from injuries received at Guilford Courthouse. One of these days I'd like to obtain a 33rd button...any of you NC gents ever come across one?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back