What's new

Buckles from cape fear

RKinOI

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2004
Messages
262
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Got permission to get access to a part of the Cape Fear riverjust above Southport. I was walking along a long stretch of beach and getting no signals. About half way down I got a good signal and dug a buckle.Then another and another. I dug all these targets in about a fifty ft. area.I'm going back next week and was wondering if this could be civil war era buckles. I left them down there so I do not have pics but I tried to draw them. On one of them the hook looking part spreads out to the sides ,it will lay flat. On the other, the hook part does not split and curves around to the front. Has anyone ever seen this type?
 

Attachments

  • beach 7 09 020.webp
    beach 7 09 020.webp
    70.7 KB · Views: 813
The other is a slide type adjustment buckle.
 
Well, two of them could indeed be Civil War. Here is a photo of a CW knapsack hook:


knapsack hook.webp


If you will post a photo with something for scale, I'll give a positive ID.



Regards,



Buckles
 
Thanks Buckles, That looks exactly like one of them. I won't have pics until next week. Just guessing I would say the part where the strap goes through is about 1 1/2 inches across. Thanks , RKINOI
 
RKinOI said:
Thanks Buckles, That looks exactly like one of them. I won't have pics until next week. Just guessing I would say the part where the strap goes through is about 1 1/2 inches across. Thanks , RKINOI

That's the right size. :)
 
I was thinking they were from mens braces.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom