Buried Pots Of Gold / NC

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
there are two earlier newspaper accounts, both concerning the find by the farmer...while duchase can not be tied to the Confederacy he can be found and traced for several years..you can find several p.h. blacks that could possibly be the one, but could also not be.....i doubt duchase was p.o.w. as these records at the end of the war are pretty thorough and the last releases of prisoners after the war were noted well.....unlike what happened to them during the war where records were incomplete or non existant.....its hard to believe a treasure hunter could earn the title '' professional'' yet has not heard the story until a few years back..........also if he died in 2001, how were pots found after this date ?.....where is this revolutionary equipment ? i have heard of nothing of note in the past several years short of kelly browns treasure tracker...meeting with him personally, i know it was invented by him and not something left by a deceased hunter....surely the remaining family would have either tried selling or marketing it by now..at the very least there would be some knowledge of it by someone in the t/h circle ?........couple other things regarding the new berne treasure story , it says that gold was found in saulsbury and i always heard it was found near mebane/hillsboro area, {maybe i have my stories confused}....the article also states that gold was scarce in n.c....i do not understand this statement either as there were gold mines all over guilford county, greensboro, caraway mountain, jamestown, high point, anson county, all around and in charlotte, randolph county, not to mention the many in the western counties near the nc, va, tenn lines.........as i posted before this story relates to certain pots buried along the tracks but that is not all...............gldhntr

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you Todd on the issue of the "revolutionary equipment". It seems to me this machine would be on the market today and selling like hotcakes!!! What is also kind of puzzling about this is he supposedly found 6 pots three months after getting this additional info from the author and then another 6 pots "within 3 years". If he found the first 6 pots that quick (with this new revolutionary detector), why did it take him "within 3 years" to find the other 6??? I guess it is possible...maybe he was getting all of his ducks in a row so to speak.

As for the professional hunter, the story I read never stated the article he read in mid-1990 was the first time he had heard of this. It just said after he read the story, he contacted the author.

LeJeuene

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
it about had to be the first time he read it , otherwise the supposed hunter would not have sent the author.....i know the story had no info that the rest of them dont have...and the story doesn't match the burial sites as far as distance and #.....

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I am not sure about the difference in the burial sites and number. I have no concrete evidence about that.

I don't understand why you would think that would have been the first time he read anything on the story??

Lejeuene

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Go ahead and send the crawfish, Lejeuene. That would be treasure enough! What book did you buy and read about this in? The whole thing sounds too vague...

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The book was titled "Lost Treasures & American History". There are several stories in this book. The title of the story is "Pots Of Gold". The author is W.C. Jameson.

Living so far from Louisiana and getting good cajun spicy crawfish would for sure be a treasure. I lived in Wyoming for a spell and some place up there served them.....let me tell you....they would have been better served as bait...lol.

LeJeuene

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
Lejeuene,
I read the same story on 'Lost Treasure' magazines' web site several months back and was ready to grab my dusty 2-box deep seeker and head up to NC from Tampa on a road trip --- no kidding. W.C. Jameson is one of my favorite treasure authors because he has not only the knowledge and experience base, but also the story teller's flare. He's a real raconteur and I read anything by him I can get my hands on. I have no more information than you do about the veracity of this lead. But it has that plausible element to it as well as the hoodwinker's audacity shared by all great treasure stories. Being a "hero member" you know there's only one way of ever really knowing the truth behind any treasure lead....
HH
-spyguy

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
LeJeuene,

W.C. Jameson is a reputable author. Even though he publishes well known stories, he has published original ones as well. I find it hard to believe he would say he received "consultation fees" unless he really was involved. He has no need to say such things otherwise.

As to the revolutionary metal detector, who knows? Most of us immediately think of L R L s, but something doesn't fit there. Nonetheless, it's an interesting tidbit about the author's involvement.

Sigh, if I could only use one of those pots for this treasure...

Attachments

• crawfish.jpg
    crawfish.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 6,017
OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darren,

You shouldn't do that to yourself or me for that matter. That sure looks good. As you probably know, the crawfish season is here. I'll be thinking about you....lol.

I agree, about the author issue. It just isn't right for someone to put that in if they were not involved. Personally, I think he was.

Spyguy - I really enjoyed his book. That was the first book of his that I read. I will be reading more though. It did make me want to go too. I think there is more facts behind the scene than we will ever know about this story. Research....research.....research.......phew!!!!

LeJeuene

LeJeuene

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=SWR ]
Great map/post! I think for retrieval purposes, I would have "cached" my goodies closer to the junction
I agree SWR, unless there was a prominent marker there or conditions prevented that..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keep up the great posts!
Agreed.again.
Tropical Tramp

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Why would you take the train East out of Greensboro to go to Richmond when the tracks going NORTH would get to Richmond a whole lot faster?

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
pepper..the area you have marked as search area is the elon college through glen raven area....permissions in these places is as hard to get as the rest...around elon you have the college and many historical type landowners.....glen raven area , alot is built over, paved over, or will get you arrested or shot unless you are very crafty....if you study troop movements and track availability at the precise time of burials you will understand why this one small area was used upon leaving greensboro to bury the caches.........gldhntr

B

bwsnyder2005

I have alot of interest in this topic of buried coins in NC. I am about 1.5 hours from the area from Charlotte. I do have access to military metal detectors that can reach 2-3 feet down in the ground. I would like to discuss this with you. I can discuss this with more in depth by email or phone. Yes I have GPS capabilities and a little more odds and ends. Feel free to email me at [email protected].

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
nc-joe said:
Why would you take the train East out of Greensboro to go to Richmond when the tracks going NORTH would get to Richmond a whole lot faster?

They were fleeing Richmond, not going there. They set up Confederacy HQs in Danville, VA for a short time and then moved south. There are kegs of Mexican silver dollars believed to still be in Danville. I'll let gldhtr speak to that...

Pepper, the earliest documentation says the pots were buried on both sides of the tracks. I would think any creeks or bridges would make obvious landmarks for the soldiers rather than open fields.

I sure hope some is found one day and made public. If I find any, it won't be public ;)

Godspeed!
Darren

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
they were fleeing richmond and danville....greensboro was used as a semi safe spot to plan and execute things of great importance for about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks....the holes i found, one on one side and the other on the opposite side...veiwing these two holes in coorelation to the landscape it seems as if they might have been using road/path crossings as a starting point.......i detected very well around the creeks/drainages as i thought the same as darren but never found a thing including empty holes around them.....g

ChadsMach1

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2004
Darren in NC said:
nc-joe said:

They were fleeing Richmond, not going there. They set up Confederacy HQs in Danville, VA for a short time and then moved south. There are kegs of Mexican silver dollars believed to still be in Danville. I'll let gldhtr speak to that...

Pepper, the earliest documentation says the pots were buried on both sides of the tracks. I would think any creeks or bridges would make obvious landmarks for the soldiers rather than open fields.

I sure hope some is found one day and made public. If I find any, it won't be public ;)

Godspeed!
Darren

Darren,

Long time no see! Hope you and the family are doing well. We should plan another trip back down there to do some investigating and research. I still have friends in the area that I grew up with that may be able to help. We may be able to track down more information. You never know.......

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Jump right in + correct me if I'm wrong but from everything I have read most of the brave lads fighting for the south were half starved , threadbare , and practially barefoot . If this was true what was the treasury doing with tons + tons + tons of gold + silver ? Doesn't make sense does it ? HH

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
beale! What are you referring to? Tons and tons of treasure northeast of Greensboro? Maybe you will start a new thread on this location you brought up. It could be very interesting. Please tell us more if you will be so kind.

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
I did extensive research on this exact story almost 2 years ago. One of the reasons I began investigating this particular story is a little bleep I came across that said to me that any searches are conducted in the wrong location.
I spoke with a gentleman who owns a store in Company Shops. This lead me to a dead end that I fealt made the story to be fabricated. I don't want to bust your bubbles, but I was extremely disapointed.
I still have all the research in hand. If you can convince me this is worth continuing, pm me and we'll work together if you want?
xXx

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
quote from wvhillbilly'''''''''Jump right in + correct me if I'm wrong but from everything I have read most of the brave lads fighting for the south were half starved , threadbare , and practially barefoot . If this was true what was the treasury doing with tons + tons + tons of gold + silver ? Doesn't make sense does it ? HH'''''''''hillbilly, research nearly any town/city of the South at the end of the war...you will see in almost all cases that civilians and ex soldiers broke into the military storerooms and took what was there...listed you will find millions of rations, tons of powder, rooms floor to ceiling of clothes, shoes, and hardtack were taken...this is found in almost every single account of every city/town in the South....just one small city researched shows over 5 million rations, several storerooms full to the ceiling of clothes and shoes, and enough powder and arms to make an explosion still talked about today....another researched was only a small stop then, and still is nothing more, yet there were 5 buildings full of wagon after wagon of supplies taken after the war from them...5 of the people that took these supplies were shot and killed by the locals that provided these goods to the Confederacy.they were then taken to rockingham county and dumped on a porch where they laid for several days due to the fact that no-one thought enough of them to bury them..........the rebs were hungry and ragged but they were far from broke....when you have no supply lines, and no men to man them if you had them, and you are fighting with odds like 19,000 against 155,000, it would have a tendency to make you hungry and ragged....at the end of the war if a yankee was killed there was 10 to replace him with, if a Rebel was killed there was no replacement available to replace him with...even the old 40-50 + year old men were manning the trenches around towns, right beside amputees and others so unfortunate..........yet research into the $ made or mined in the South prior to the war shows there was no lack of $ as the South made as much or more than the north, with a lot less people, and mostly free labor meant that the $ stayed there instead of being spent off paying people or companies for services............gldhntr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread