Buried Pots Of Gold / NC

Sure old man, I will show you the location of this gold which is only 650 miles from my house. You won't look over my shoulder? That is funny. I will assume you are just joking about this and don't think that I am that stupid. I do thank you for the offer. Maybe if I can meet you about 20 miles away, blindfold you, take your cell phone and turn it off, tie your hands behind your back, put you in my trunk, I would then take you to the location with your metal detector. When can we start? I tell you what, come by my house and we will talk. I am not joking about this. I will take you to the Rocky Bluff pirate silver site. The modern day pirates have already shown the location to some other pirates that plan to dig it up. I have nothing to lose.

I know you think I am a blabbermouth but when it comes to some of my sites I am not. If the pirate silver at Rocky Bluff comes up missing there will be about 500,000 suspects as that is about how many newspapers went out with me showing the approximate location.

I am curious about one thing. If there is non-ferrous gold in a ferrous container what will your detector say about the pots? Is it possible to use a magnetometer to locate the pots and then the Pulse Star II to see if there is also gold? The !st group that detected the pirate site got a reading for non-ferrous only. At the NC site it would be great to have as many different electronics as possible. I talked to the property owner today and he will probably be ready for me in about a month.

Last edited:
Bigdog, Glad to see you have a sense of humor. No, I wasn't joking and I was going to stop and have breakfast while you went off on your own to check your site. Like you, I have several other sites of my own to check on my own, but mine are water sites.I'm old school. I believe in helping others without asking for anything in return. That's the way things were done when I was growing up.I do have a site in Georgia to check out and if it happens to be next month, the offer still stands.Good Luck on your adventure

It's a long story but I also have some water sites. There is way more gold to be found in the Gulf than most people would believe. I don't have the resources or interest of my own to go after these shipwrecks. How I came to believe I know their whereabouts is kind of involved. I would be glad to share them with someone that could do something about it. Gregg Stemm was not interested when I asked him. He is obviously doing pretty well with his deepwater sites. Mine are in less than 20 feet of water less than 2 miles from shore. There are a total of about seven.

I also have some sites in Georgia. I know I may come across as a full of crap braggart, but I really am a decent guy. Although I like the thrill of the hunt I have always been concerned that if I were to come into the possession of a lot of treasure it might change my life in ways I may not want. I am willing to take the chance but my attitude is that if it is meant to be it will happen.

One of my Georgia sites is southeast of Atlanta. I think it is a bunch of saddlebags full of gold coins. It is near the side of a road next to a creek. I think they are about 8-10 feet deep. Would your detector give you a reading on this that you could believe?

It's a long story but I also have some water sites. There is way more gold to be found in the Gulf than most people would believe. I don't have the resources or interest of my own to go after these shipwrecks. How I came to believe I know their whereabouts is kind of involved. I would be glad to share them with someone that could do something about it. Gregg Stemm was not interested when I asked him. He is obviously doing pretty well with his deepwater sites. Mine are in less than 20 feet of water less than 2 miles from shore. There are a total of about seven.

I also have some sites in Georgia. I know I may come across as a full of crap braggart, but I really am a decent guy. Although I like the thrill of the hunt I have always been concerned that if I were to come into the possession of a lot of treasure it might change my life in ways I may not want. I am willing to take the chance but my attitude is that if it is meant to be it will happen.

One of my Georgia sites is southeast of Atlanta. I think it is a bunch of saddlebags full of gold coins. It is near the side of a road next to a creek. I think they are about 8-10 feet deep. Would your detector give you a reading on this that you could believe?

Just for the sake of discussion, why would anyone bury saddlebags 8-10 feet deep?

Bigdog, I've dug single beer and soda cans 4 & 5 feet deep out of the sand on the beach with the 18 inch coil on the pulse star II, so my guess is the 1 meter coil could find it at that depth. However, I have to agree with the previous poster. Why would someone bury it that deep?

Last edited:
The secret service didn't exist until after the civil war ended

Where the saddlebags are supposedly buried the road has been built up and there is a culvert. The exact spot is in the edge of this embankment. The saddlebags were probably origninally buried no more than a foot or two. I do not think this story is in any books but there was some info from some old timers at a historical society 25 years ago. As the army traveled their orders were to bury any gold they were transporting when they stopped to camp at night.

I tried digging this spot over 20 years ago and had problems with water and beavers. I went by it two years ago. A lot has changed in the area but I still located the site. I have not tried to find out what it would take to get permission to dig. 20 years ago it was in the middle of nowhere but now there are houses all around.

nickmarch-Perhaps elements of the Secret Service of the Confederacy have always existed but were kept "secret". I am sure that ECS can tell us all the facts about this. The truth is it all does not matter to me. What matters is that I think I know the locations of some buried gold and I want to dig it up. I am not really interested in arguing about what everyone thinks the exact details of history are from 150 years ago.

Beavers are basicly harmless, unless you are messing with their gold. You are lucky you didn't get swarmed.

I don't think they like people getting into their pond and busting their dams.

The secret service didn't exist until after the civil war ended
What is commonly called "THE CONFEDERATE SECRET SERVICE" is an umbrella term for several official and semi-official operations of the CSA.
There was the CONFERERATE SIGNAL AND SECRET SERVICE,which was composed of 1200 messengers,most were highly educated gentry who spoke several languages.They delievered dispatches to CSA field commanders using the "court cipher",and yes,sometimes they deliberately sent false messages to be "captured" by the Union.
Included under that umbrella term,was the CSA TORPEDO BUREAU,CSA SUBMARINE BATTERY SERVICE,and espionage activities of spies-Lola Sanchez,Belle Boyd,Virginia Baxley,and Rose O'Neal Greenhow.
As for CSA foreign agents,there role,James D Bullock,was to secure forgien funds for the Confederate cause from England and France.
March 1865,the Confederate Congress enacted legistration for an "official " SPECIAL AND SECRET BUREAU " of the CSA War Department,but as history shows,Richmond fell April 2,1865,and a "true" CSA secret service NEVER materialized.
As for a CSA Steampunk Secret Service James Bond covertly transporting iron pots of gold and burying them ,it never happened as a CSA Secret Service operation,but it does make for a great legend.

Last edited:
I don't think they like people getting into their pond and busting their dams.

You will likely need to commission an Environmental Impact Assessment prior to drainage of the beaver pond. In addition, you will need to file a SWPPP (storm water pollution prevention plan) and get it approved by the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) Division of Water Quality Stormwater Permitting Unit to ensure sediment and stormwater runoff compliance....or just do it at night.

The beaver dam busting episode was in Georgia over 20 years ago. This was when I was trying to get to the saddlebags. I probably need to stick to one or two stories at a time.

I knew ECS would be overflowing with info about the "Secret Service". I wonder if any secrets ever remain secrets? If a secret is no longer secret, is it still a secret? He says this secret operation never happened, I don't think he sees the irony in that statement.

By some peoples beliefs and logic there is no treasure legend that is real. I for one would like to believe that maybe a few of them have enough truth involved that maybe they are worth pursuing. I got involved with an old man that felt he could locate the area gold was in and then would find the story later. As long as he was able to get onto the property he would supposedly put me over it. Although I have not yet recovered gold I do feel that I have yet to prove him wrong.

I am convinced there are multiple locations of gold on this particular site in North Carolina. On my last dig I was possibly only a few feet away. My biggest mistake so far in my treasure hunting career was stopping the dig that day. I thought I could come back and continue the dig but it did not work out that way. It has been two years and I am about to get the opportunity to try again. This was on the easiest of four dig spots.

There is a difference between the secret service and the confederate secret service.

In 1864, secret legislation was put before the Confederate Congress to create an official Special and Secret Bureau of the War Department. The legislation was not enacted until March 1865 and was never implemented, so no one really knows what an official "Confederate Secret Service" would have looked like.

For the record I'll post the good the bad and the ugly.

I hope Bigdogdad does find the gold he is looking for. I'd like to see someone here find something significant.

I posted an official record of a safe with gold being tossed off of a boat and no takers. I see a lot of legends with no real verifiable facts and people get nutty about searching and finding.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-leads/306994-paymasters-safe-official-records.html

Last edited:

Attachments

• pots-of-gold.png
    pots-of-gold.png
    36 KB · Views: 317
One man's fact is another man's fiction. What makes something written, "official"? Who on TN is qualified to be the judge and jury to decide what is true and what is false? How many people reading any of these threads on the Cache forum are actually actively hunting and trying to dig up caches? If treasure is hidden and nobody writes an "official" account of the burial, does the treasure exist? I am not going to get into a pooping contest on this old thread about my own adventures. I will be glad to discuss this on my own new thread.

If I lived there I would be looking for them pots. I've read plenty online and have been looking at historic civil war and railroad maps of the area. One thing I don't do is ignore differences of any of the facts or stories.

Online there are differences in the story from author to author. One says the pots are burried in an 18 mile stretch between two towns. One says between McLeansville and Burlington another says between Greensboro and McLeansville. Burlington and Greensboro are on opposite sides of McLeansville.

It's about 20 miles from Greensboro to Burlington making me think that the pots are spread out between Greensboro and Burilngton. It's about 10 miles from McLeansville to Greensboro and about 10 miles between McLeansville and Burlington. (Measurements are along the RR not what google directions would show)

Last edited:
I knew ECS would be overflowing with info about the "Secret Service". I wonder if any secrets ever remain secrets? If a secret is no longer secret, is it still a secret? He says this secret operation never happened, I don't think he sees the irony in that statement.
:laughing7:I see you are dancing with the strawman again,and can't see the irony in your own statements. If the 20 pots mission of CSA SECRET SERVICE J W DUCHASA was such a BIG secret,how do you know about it,treasure books and treasure mags have written about,yet NO real evidence exists to support this story. :blob1:
Another question one never asks:Why would the CSA,which possessed iron strongboxes,place gold coins into iron cooking pots?:pot-of-gold::pot-of-gold:
Seems to be an overlap of the Abraham Kuyendall iron wash pot tale that morphed into a CSA gold legend with the embellished telling over the decades.

The truth is it all does not matter to me. What matters is that I think I know the locations of some buried gold and I want to dig it up. I am not really interested in arguing about what everyone thinks the exact details of history are from 150 years ago.
Quite a mission statement! Carry on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back