Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to our website and learn a lot about treasure hunting.

Gidday Rolandstone

Do not get sucked into myth all buried treasure has marks and signs. While not impossible that some have markers in some form. One must reason other could work out what they are so for the vast majority treasure is buried in the ground with very little markers at all.

Crow

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When people in the past buried treasure and to be able to go back to it would they use a obvious land marks? I know some people on farms would bury their money by fence posts so they could watch it. maybe trees, rocks and small caves. Thanks for any info

Where would you hide something? And why there?

Being able to recover it in private can be part of it.
As you mention , keeping an eye on it could be desired too. Yet you might still want a rapid and private ability to recover it.
What if you were forced off the farm? Or any site?
Or natural disaster tore up the homestead and landscape?

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of fence post; they would loosen a post, stick their treasure in the hole and replace the post. Chicken house's were a popular place, because the chickens would disrupt in mayhem when someone would try to get in the hen house. The fire place chimney is a good place to look, mantels etc. An old German friend of mine, said they would put money in the milk bucket, usually in the cellar.
When a home or cabin burned, the mantel held keepsakes.
Large trees "behind" the cabin/house, out the back door.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going through an old house years ago, the bottom tread on the staircase seemed loose, sure enough when i kicked it, it popped right off.

I looked inside, and there it was, an old zippered bank deposit bag from a local bank that had been out of business since the 40's.

i picked it up, and could feel that it was full of bills.

my hands were shaking as i unzipped it,.....it was full of.....wait for it.......canceled checks!!

they were cool, i forget the dates now, i zipped it up and replaced it for the next guy. :laughing7:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Few people had the "Field Guide to Marking Treasure" so they were forced to come up with their own ideas.

clintgu3

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 w/15" coil
Garrett Deepseeker ATX w/Closed 11x13 & Open 15x20
Garrett Ace Apex w/Viper Coil & Garrett Pinpointer
Fisher Gemini-3 (2-box)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question about which detector might work for this situation. I have a buried site that I've located that has the landmarks still embedded in the trees and the cache is supposedly buried underneath in a sandy area next to a swamp. Is there a detector that can detect metal down to 20-30 ft deep? I know there is hard bedrock at that depth, so it couldn't be buried any deeper than that. It seems VLF is not able to get that deep, but PI might be able to do it. I've seen the Nokta Makro Invenio, but not sure if it is a scam or not. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not even PI. Two feet, maybe.

I don't know if even a two-box will go beyond seven or eight feet over large (square feet of surface area) concentrations of gold/silver/copper.

As far as the Nokta Makro Invenio - try and find a review by someone that actually purchased one. I cannot.

OP
OP
R

rolandslone

Nov 7, 2014
Halifax, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys was not to sure. I've been out of metal detecting about 5 years. I moved to Elizabethton, TN and kind of scared to go out to the parks etc. Have to get unlazy also

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When people in the past buried treasure and to be able to go back to it would they use a obvious land marks? I know some people on farms would bury their money by fence posts so they could watch it. maybe trees, rocks and small caves. Thanks for any info

I think I would.But "fences,trees,rocks," come and go ,then what ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread