What's new

Button Help.

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Found this today and was wondering if it is old. Found it on a beach after the storm surge. So could it be from a Viking shipreck? :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2622.webp
    IMG_2622.webp
    38.6 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_2623.webp
    IMG_2623.webp
    19.6 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_2624.webp
    IMG_2624.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_2625.webp
    IMG_2625.webp
    34.2 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_2626.webp
    IMG_2626.webp
    37.1 KB · Views: 311
Now that is a cool button. I'll be watching this thread to see what it is. :thumbsup:

Nice find.
Randy
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Randy. :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
Judging by the shank, I would say pretty modern. Not for sure but all the shanks that I have seen like that has been fairly modern.
 
Upvote 0
DirtyMike said:
Judging by the shank, I would say pretty modern. Not for sure but all the shanks that I have seen like that has been fairly modern.
Im not a button expert but I have seen similar shanks on very old buttons. Even though it doesnt have any patina, it looks like a 1700's one piece drilled shank. http://www.artifacts.org/
 

Attachments

  • Button spanish 1700-1795.gif
    Button spanish 1700-1795.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 255
Upvote 0
Interesting. From first site, I thought it was not that old, but has the caracteristics of an old button. The lack of patina is also throwing me off. Maybe its gold. :o
 
Upvote 0
Wait for the button experts. I doubt its gold.
 
Upvote 0
Man I don't know what to say on this one. In a way it looks modern but then again it looks like it could be older. Sorry I can't be of much help on this one.
 
Upvote 0
I'm going to go with modern for a few reasons with the main one being the shank which is very well formed and has a perfectly drilled small hole. I think you could fairly easily find a match for that shank on a more modern button.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
I'm going to go with modern for a few reasons with the main one being the shank which is very well formed and has a perfectly drilled small hole. I think you could fairly easily find a match for that shank on a more modern button.

modern.
 
Upvote 0
I know that most of your finds are old but I guess its a modern solid one piece cast brass button, made the old fashioned way. I cannot however find this design and I searched my usual fashion design button sources.
 
Upvote 0
You sure did!!! Amazing. :notworthy: Cumbria 7/8" Antique Brass

Those Medieval-Reenactment-Renaissance SCA people are leaving behind brass buttons, silver hammered coins and other authentic looking replicas in the USA. ::) Its getting out of hand. :D
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
You sure did!!! Amazing. :notworthy: Cumbria 7/8" Antique Brass

as I said modern :D
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
bigcypresshunter said:
You sure did!!! Amazing. :notworthy: Cumbria 7/8" Antique Brass

as I said modern :D
The consensus was modern replica and DirtyMike was the first to say but Ironspike clearly made the ID.

Those Renaissance renactment people are worse than Civil War reenactors. They actually circulate silver replica hammered coins at the fairs. Several members have found them but we were able to ID them as such. Check out this old post. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,162194.0.html
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
CRUSADER said:
bigcypresshunter said:
You sure did!!! Amazing. :notworthy: Cumbria 7/8" Antique Brass

as I said modern :D
The consensus was modern replica and DirtyMike was the first to say but Ironspike clearly made the ID.

Those Renaissance renactment people are worse than Civil War reenactors. They actually circulate silver replica hammered coins at the fairs. Several members have found them but we were able to ID them as such.

I don't care who did what first I was just having a laugh
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
I don't care who did what first I was just having a laugh
sure its cool ;D ;D ;D and you, IS and others were correct as usual, modern looking drilled shank, no patina, etc... :icon_thumright:, Im sure it didnt interest you enough to search but you gotta give some credit where credit is due. (Ironspike)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom