What's new

Button Help.

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Is this one of those modern blazer buttons that looks like an old one? :icon_scratch:
 

Attachments

  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    32.4 KB · Views: 409
  • 003.webp
    003.webp
    28.1 KB · Views: 385
  • 004.webp
    004.webp
    28.3 KB · Views: 395
  • 030.webp
    030.webp
    44.2 KB · Views: 343
  • 029.webp
    029.webp
    42.9 KB · Views: 397
It does have a back mark, but I can't make it out. I took some pictures. So this is a legitimate military button?
Any suggestions on how to get the crud off. I put olive oil on it. I have blue ribbon and naval jelly. Do you think blue ribbon will do the trick?
 

Attachments

  • 021.webp
    021.webp
    46.8 KB · Views: 343
  • 022.webp
    022.webp
    52.6 KB · Views: 351
  • 023.webp
    023.webp
    67.6 KB · Views: 347
Upvote 0
Yes legitimate Military button. Probably D.Evans & Co. Attleboro, either WWI or WWII.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like the back mark simply says ATTLEBORO.
 
Upvote 0
I found the button in the Albert Record of American Uniform and Historical Button book. Two of the images looks the same, image GI 102 and GI 106. I believe this button is a two piece button, so it must be GI 102 because the description notes its a two piece whereas GI 106 says its a one piece button. So do you guys agree this is "The Great Seal Button, General Service; 2-Piece with border"?
 

Attachments

  • 024.webp
    024.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 365
  • 027.webp
    027.webp
    74.7 KB · Views: 361
  • 026.webp
    026.webp
    23 KB · Views: 357
  • 025.webp
    025.webp
    82.8 KB · Views: 332
  • 028.webp
    028.webp
    29.3 KB · Views: 358
Upvote 0
Its definitely an authentic US Army Great Seal button with lined field. I think your book will add a few to my list. ;D My guess is D. Evans Attleboro Falls button as digg said.

39- D. EVANS & CO. * NO. ATTLEBORO, MASS. (red back) 1848-1945

41- D. EVANS & CO ATTLEBORO FALLS

66- SHIELDS INC. ATTLEBORO, MASS
 
Upvote 0
Bigcy, Looks like my button simple has one word ATTLEBORO, should this be added to your list? I wonder what year this one was made? WWI thru WWII?
Looks like D. Evans & CO made buttons from 1848-1945.
 
Upvote 0
Garabaldi said:
Bigcy, Looks like my button simple has one word ATTLEBORO, should this be added to your list? I wonder what year this one was made? WWI thru WWII?
Looks like D. Evans & CO made buttons from 1848-1945.
You may have a new backmark for the list but I cannot add it until we are able to read it in its entirety.

Unless the only mark is ATTLEBORO, but the rest may be corroded off. :dontknow:

I think its painted black.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Garabaldi said:
Bigcy, Looks like my button simple has one word ATTLEBORO, should this be added to your list? I wonder what year this one was made? WWI thru WWII?
Looks like D. Evans & CO made buttons from 1848-1945.
You may have a new backmark for the list but I cannot add it until we are able to read it in its entirety.

Unless the only mark is ATTLEBORO, but the rest may be corroded off. :dontknow:

I think its painted black.
I respectfully disagree with you bigcy. Even if the back was painted black, which I don't think it is, you would still see the lettering. The only lettering is Attleboro. I put some olive oil on the button and some blue ribbon, which is why it is dark.
 

Attachments

  • 032.webp
    032.webp
    47.9 KB · Views: 322
  • 033.webp
    033.webp
    51 KB · Views: 311
  • 034.webp
    034.webp
    36.6 KB · Views: 328
  • 035.webp
    035.webp
    47.2 KB · Views: 327
Upvote 0
OK Ill add it. It may be a stamp error but I can add it. :dontknow: :icon_thumright: Thanks.



I have some D.Evans buttons painted red on the backs from the factory. Some WWII buttons are black. Just an observation.
 
Upvote 0
Interesting bigcy. So they used these exact buttons during WWI and WWII? It would be nice to be able to say if it was one or the other. :-\
 
Upvote 0
Garabaldi said:
Interesting bigcy. So they used these exact buttons during WWI and WWII? It would be nice to be able to say if it one one or the other. :-\
I dont know. It would need further research.

D. Evans made buttons from 1848-1945. I dont know if this button can be attributed to the D.Evans Company. They made buttons in North Attleboro and in Attleboro Falls. Its a first for me with only the word ATTLEBORO stamped. :icon_scratch:
 

Attachments

  • great seal n.attleboro.webp
    great seal n.attleboro.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 293
  • great seal n.attleboro.webp
    great seal n.attleboro.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 271
Upvote 0
Hmmmm, we may be on to something here. Attleboro mass is about 30 minutes from me. I spoke with a guy from Attleboro about a month ago and told him a lot of the military buttons I find with my detector were made in Attleboro. He said that they used to throw the scrap metal in the river behind the mill, which had gold in it and people were detecting the river so much they had to barricade it off. :o
 
Upvote 0
It is a WW I army tunic button the ones worn by the doughboys in the trenchs.

Jim :hello:
 
Upvote 0
SgtJim said:
It is a WW I army tunic button the ones worn by the doughboys in the trenchs.

Jim :hello:
How do you know this Sgt?
 
Upvote 0
Im retired military and have been selling civil war buttons for the last 15 years. I buy uniform buttons by the pound and run across alot of these and also sell them in sets for WWI movie sets or military reenactors. All of the WWI marine and army buttons are bronze/copper with flat black emamel paint on them. This was the first great seal (1902) button used in combat, brass was to reflective and shinny.

Jim :hello:
 
Upvote 0
SgtJim said:
Im retired military and have been selling civil war buttons for the last 15 years. I buy uniform buttons by the pound and run across alot of these and also sell them in sets for WWI movie sets or military reenactors. All of the WWI marine and army buttons are bronze/copper with flat black emamel paint on them. This was the first great seal (1902) button used in combat, brass was to reflective and shinny.

Jim :hello:
Bronze/copper is maybe why this one is in such great shape. :dontknow:
This is my first WWI artifact I have found. Thanks for all the help. :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
SgtJim said:
Im retired military and have been selling civil war buttons for the last 15 years. I buy uniform buttons by the pound and run across alot of these and also sell them in sets for WWI movie sets or military reenactors. All of the WWI marine and army buttons are bronze/copper with flat black emamel paint on them. This was the first great seal (1902) button used in combat, brass was to reflective and shinny.

Jim :hello:

Im curious. How can you tell its bronze/copper if its painted black?

I also believe that its most likely WWI and it may be a D.EVANS button from NO. ATTLEBORO, MASS and they made buttons from 1848-1945. I have many unpainted WWI buttons and I also have painted black buttons from WWII so how do we know this is WWI? Im always willing to learn. :icon_thumright: Thanks. I even have some GS buttons painted red.

Maybe you could add a few backmarks to my list or help with the datelines.http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,212590.0.html
 
Upvote 0
After I typed this I realized that the paint is worn off and the base color underneath can be seen.. :-[ The only thing I disagree with is that all WWI buttons are not this color and they are not all painted. I have unpainted brass WWI gilted buttons.
 

Attachments

  • brass WWI.webp
    brass WWI.webp
    83.4 KB · Views: 167
  • brass WWI.webp
    brass WWI.webp
    83.4 KB · Views: 165
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom