What's new

Buttplate I assume?...

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Nokta Triple Score
Found this while digging in a bottle/trash area...No marking that I can see....Anyway to identify what it is off of?....Bottles and trash are dating late 1800's - early 1900's.... Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • bp1.webp
    bp1.webp
    30.1 KB · Views: 135
  • bp2.webp
    bp2.webp
    28 KB · Views: 124
  • bp3.webp
    bp3.webp
    31 KB · Views: 142
Yes that is a buttplate. I cannot tell you what model it's too, but one was found by Nuggetnoggin today for an 1860's musket I think.
 
Upvote 0
As mentioned no marks that a could find...Guessing that it's really not possible to figure what type/model it was on?
 
Upvote 0
It could be from a lever action rifle such as a Winchester or Marlin, but hard to know for sure, but it does look very much like this reproduction for a Winchester on this site.

LEVER ACTION BUTTPLATE - Brownells
 
Upvote 0
It could be from a lever action rifle such as a Winchester or Marlin, but hard to know for sure, but it does look very much like this reproduction for a Winchester on this site.

LEVER ACTION BUTTPLATE - Brownells

I did notice in doing an image search that unlike this one, it seemed most plates that have a "tongue" have the screw hole on the top section of the plate..Should help narrow down the choices...Thanks for the link....I'll keep looking..
 
Upvote 0
That is what gets me lost on this one, there are two screw holes on the end piece and none on the tongue! Is the tongue broken at all? Also noticed that it has a distinct bowel / curved shape to it, along with what looks like counter sunk / recessed screw holes. Those features should make it easier to narrow it down some.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom