What's new

Cahokia Discoidal?

rocke

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2014
Messages
24
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a Cahokia Discoidal. It seems to be too large to be one based on most of the images I have seen. It is 6" round and 3" thick. The material seems to be smooth granite, not quartz.

DSC01933.webpDSC01932.webp

Could it be something else?

Thanks for your comments.
 
Upvote 0
Is it a discoidal ? I would say yes, if it's authentic ( a St. Louis Cahokia discoidal, I don't know). Discoidals are found in a great variety of sizes , form, and refinement, and also various geological materials. If the one pictured is authentic, it would be of great interest to a serious.collecter of Discoidals
 
Is it a personal find. Thanks for sharing.
 
I think there are a three different Cahokia style discoidals (out of about 15 different types), but it certainly looks Cahokian influence to me. How deep is the cupping on each side?

Joshua
 
This was not found but is from a collection purchased in the 1920's.

It is 6" in diameter, 3" in width, cups are 3/4" deep, weighs 7 lbs. and is not quartz. The edge of the cup is about 1/2" in from the edge.
 
This article references 6"ers and granite.

Discoidals

Beautiful - super find!

Thanks for the site. Actually, I had found that site and that's where I got my preliminary education on discoidals. Great site.
 
Hey rocke I was at a show yesterday and a guy found this one local and it is made from quartz. Its perfect and the owner was offered a huge $ amount for it. I don't know if the guy was serious or not on the price. It was one of those prices that you could buy a almost new truck with. He actually turned it down what an amazing thing. I would of had to flip a coin to help me decide. Here it is its a real beauty for sure and perfect. Found in N GA.
 

Attachments

  • 100_3699.webp
    100_3699.webp
    132.5 KB · Views: 131

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom