What's new

Can anybody give me an approximate date for this style buckle attachment?

creskol

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
13,882
Reaction score
23,351
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
2
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks a bunch!
 

Attachments

  • bkleback.webp
    bkleback.webp
    49 KB · Views: 528
What's the front look like and general description of the historiy of where you found it? Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
What's the front look like and general description of the historiy of where you found it? Monty
 

Attachments

  • two.webp
    two.webp
    70.5 KB · Views: 444
Upvote 0
That is awesome!!

Maybe I or someone else here can find some info on that name...
 
Upvote 0
Just curious, did you find that in Albemarle? It's my home county.. If so, maybe we should go detecting next time I blow through town. The rosette on my profile pic was found in Albemarle...

Nate
 
Upvote 0
Whoever the peron is...he was a carpenter by trade and obviously proud of it...I see a plane, saw, square, and the like...

These tools are from the mid to late 1800...

There's the clue for the period...
 
Upvote 0
Those are Masonic tools, especially the square and the compasses. Apparently a member of Free Masonry. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Do we think the name is "Adam Rossbach"? I found a man by that name in Newark, NJ b. ~ 1853 who had an occupation as "Japanner".
 
Upvote 0
It looks like Adam Bofsbach or Rofsbach or Roßbach.
 
Upvote 0
The tools go back almost to Roman times.

The clue is the use of the long 's' short 's' for double 's.' (fs not ss). It is also not the Germanic double 's' (ß).

You really won't see that form of double 's' much past 1800. The engraving style is also right for last 1/4, 18th century. As for Masonic, it is not stereotypical, but quite possible.

It reads Adam Rossbach. Those are not the tools of a Japanner.
 
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
Those are not the tools of a Japanner.

Yeah I know :D I should have said so though. Just getting us going. This Newark, NJ Adam Rossbach's father was named Martin and he was from Germany and also a Japanner. So that family might be a no go.

Maybe Creskol can give us more details as to where the buckle was found. This might assist in locating the man who goes with the name.
 
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
The tools go back almost to Roman times.

The clue is the use of the long 's' short 's' for double 's.' (fs not ss). It is also not the Germanic double 's' (ß).

You really won't see that form of double 's' much past 1800. The engraving style is also right for last 1/4, 18th century. As for Masonic, it is not stereotypical, but quite possible.

It reads Adam Rossbach. Those are not the tools of a Japanner.
Ah ...very interesting. Is this your profession or just a hobby? :D I notice you are very knowlegable Lucas. :icon_thumright:

Would this be the script used for this? ...or is this older?
 

Attachments

  • copperplate-script.webp
    copperplate-script.webp
    33.3 KB · Views: 29,041
  • copperplate-script.webp
    copperplate-script.webp
    33.3 KB · Views: 650
Upvote 0
I see the compass and square, some kind of 2 handled saw, a set of tongs, hammer and the item to the right looks like a carpenters rule with caliper.
 

Attachments

  • rule carpenters.webp
    rule carpenters.webp
    3.8 KB · Views: 560
Upvote 0
i thought it looked more like a crudely engraved box plane
 
Upvote 0
Ramitt said:
i thought it looked more like a crudely engraved box plane
Yes you may be right. The type with the horn.

But where is the iron? :icon_scratch: plane horn.webp


ADDED: Ah now I see the wedge and iron. (it looks like a scratch) You are correct. Good ID. :icon_thumright: I think that type of wood plane was used early 1800's prior to 1900.. German jack plane horn style handle.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Ah ...very interesting. Is this your profession or just a hobby?

Both. Starting grad school this fall.

In this particular alphabet, the capital H and K have the reverse curl that is typical of mid-19th c. handwriting, but the rest is good back into the 18th.

I don't actually know what the German round hand ß looks like, maybe they still used the fs form that went out in the U.S. and UK by 1800.

Safe bet would be circa 1775–1825, leaning towards 1800–1825.

A VERY nice buckle, no matter when it is from. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
I want to say, Lucas, you have been here a while now but have been a great addition to this forum.

Maybe the German horn type plane is older. I dont know. I cant find a date range for it. But thats what it is.
 

Attachments

  • plane german.gif
    plane german.gif
    25.5 KB · Views: 386
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Ah ...very interesting. Is this your profession or just a hobby?

Both. Starting grad school this fall.

In this particular alphabet, the capital H and K have the reverse curl that is typical of mid-19th c. handwriting, but the rest is good back into the 18th.

I don't actually know what the German round hand ß looks like, maybe they still used the fs form that went out in the U.S. and UK by 1800.

Safe bet would be circa 1775–1825, leaning towards 1800–1825.

A VERY nice buckle, no matter when it is from. :icon_thumright:

Correct.
DG
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom