What's new

Can anyone shed light

Mark Todd

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2014
Messages
706
Reaction score
689
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this broken blade years ago, at the time I thought it was an anomaly. Since then with the Internet and all the info. there I realized it's a "corner tang" blade with an ovate base as apposed to the triangle base .
I've seen
2 other examples in noteworthy collections (Collinsville). My question: are these a less common variant and does anyone else out there have an example?
Next question; here
are pictures of a flake knife that I found. At first I thought it was a fractured piece left over from a percussion break of a large spear, but that seemed absurd based on the size that the spear would have to of been.
I have since then seen an almost identical specimen at the Utica show in Illinois except that it was smaller.
Can anyone tell me if this "shape of flake" is an occasional "or" likely byproduct when breaking down a chert core, as for example a lamellar flake??? Thanks! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431064652.655987.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431064688.056228.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431064725.960390.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431064764.034933.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431064788.875879.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431064812.957927.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431064836.288397.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431064860.186092.webp
 
Upvote 0
The first one looks like it could have been a drill with an oval base
...:here a a few examples ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431078840.910898.webp
 
Last edited:
If the first piece is a thin flake with cutting edge and the little attachment place is rounded like it could have been hafted it is a small Waller knife. The next piece is an overshot flake where the flake travled across the point and took some of the cutting off. I have some small examples of Waller knives that small and some bigger ones I will take a couple photos when I can look them up.
 
The first one looks like a Whaller knife.. The second piece looks like a combination tool with a perforator or graver and cutting edge.. It actually looks like a rework that may have broken off a larger bi face to me because of some little work on the small end of the flake I think it was utilized and not solely and overshot flake
 
Last edited:
Flake knives

100_3678.webp100_3679.webp100_3681.webp
The first photo has two in it they are around 2" long and with a bunch of other blades found in same area along with some Clovis stuff. The second photo is also one and the last photo is an even smaller one, flash washed out some details.
 
Thanks for replies! The first piece was a pointed oval based blade before the tip got broken off, definitely not a drill. It's not a flake with a tang either, it's been worked everywhere on both faces.
Thanks for the "Waller knife" type info. I wasn't familiar with it at all. Did some searching on it and did find a more refined example that closer to match:ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431202210.184425.webpbut from what read the Waller fairly restricted to the Florida and neighboring areas:ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431202556.987704.webpI should have included that I'm in central Illinois .
I did find a pic. of corner tang variant found in Texas that was very similar :ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431202950.047395.webpand an old corner tang distribution map that would be much fuller and broader if current (up to date):ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431203243.654337.webpso I've gotta stick with corner tang variant that made its way up to Illinois somehow, for now at least.
I've got to agree with gator that the multi-tool was made from a core reduction flake.
Thanks willjo for taking time to show those Waller knives,I learned something new.[emoji4]
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom