What's new

Can I call it a BIG duck-bill scraper?

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2009
Messages
2,356
Reaction score
405
Golden Thread
0
Okay, okay! probably not! But I like it anyway, never found a scraper quite like it in size or color. The only thing local I've seen similar is a duck-billed scraper, which was quite a bit smaller. And I don't even pretend to know much, just want to share it. And ya gotta admit, it has a "duckbill" look to it...

scraper.webp 028.webp
030.webp 031.webp
029.webp

lisa
 
Upvote 0
Wowzers that is a cool piece. Call it what you want! Love the wood grain look on the unworked side. Nice!!
 
Strange design on it but if I found it around here I would call it a Humpback Scraper. Love the colors on that piece. A really nice find IMO.
 
Thanks, I don't think I can call it a duckbill, because well, it prolly isn't. But it made me happy, it was the prize of the day. It's Kay county chert, maybe. The color is really different. "kay county" is Florence A chert which has been heat treated...Left alone florence A is a butterscotch color, but I have never noticed strong banding in left alone chert, as you find in the heat treated chert which runs from pink-tan-light grey, and all shades in between, with charcteristic banding. And I've read they usually didn't heat-treat the florence A they used for scrapers...SO either this isn't treated, and just shows the banding , OR it is treated, and has acquired a really rich patina..I don't know.
 
Cool Find! :thumbsup: Looks like nice sized hide scraper, and I like the interesting pattern on the flat side.
 
Love that one!
Nice find.
 
Very Cool find on the scraper! Like the look of it! :icon_thumleft:
 
Really nice chunker/hand chopper thingy! That thing would get some major work done, eh?! HH Yak
 
I can picture breaking down and butchering a large kill with that.
I see that as more of a "flesher" than a scraper or chopping tool.
 
Last edited:
Thanks everyone:hello:

Gator boy thanks for the terminology, I didn't see it as a chopper, and it's just so much heftier than most of the scrapers we've found, which isn't many! I'll read about fleshers...
 
Neat find Lisa! It looks like its been under water for a long time with all those deposits on it.
I read that the tannin in leaves will leach into the flint and change the color sometimes.
:hello:
Carmon
 
Being unfiaced and showing the large single reduction flakes make that a really cool tool. It could chop and scrape or do any task at hand. Those are the kinda tools I love to find. Nice one NatureGirl. :hello:
 
Thanks, I don't think I can call it a duckbill, because well, it prolly isn't. But it made me happy, it was the prize of the day. It's Kay county chert, maybe. The color is really different. "kay county" is Florence A chert which has been heat treated...Left alone florence A is a butterscotch color, but I have never noticed strong banding in left alone chert, as you find in the heat treated chert which runs from pink-tan-light grey, and all shades in between, with charcteristic banding. And I've read they usually didn't heat-treat the florence A they used for scrapers...SO either this isn't treated, and just shows the banding , OR it is treated, and has acquired a really rich patina..I don't know.

It's awesome! That's a great find!
 
That is a pretty find!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom