What's new

Cape Cod Finds

Mat in MA

Full Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2008
Messages
201
Reaction score
20
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of weeks back my wife and I went to the cape for a
few days. I brought my MXT along to check out the beaches.

They were pretty clean except for the usual pull tabs, bottle
caps and coins.
I got lucky and found over $1.50 in one hole on the beach.
I did make a couple of other nice finds.

One was a pair of glasses which I guess are a fairly common
find. The second was a silver ring. Not too unusual, but most silver
found is .925. For me this is a first. This ring is a .950. 95%
pure silver. I was stoked. There is a small hole drilled through
the ring by the hallmark that held the chain. It had to be a very
thin chain that broke and I didn't find it in the area.

All were found in dry sand.

2012glasses.webp 950ringmark.webp
 
Upvote 0
Very nice! What were the denominations of the $1.50 coin-spill, all quarters? Congrats on the %95 ring.

cheers,
cc
 
Nice ring, this ring is rare. Congratulations!
 
Excellent ring find.:icon_thumleft:
 
No, Coins were all kinds, quarters, dimes and nickels. It was a mixed bag. Everytime I pocketed one I ran my coil around me and kept getting hits. It was fun. I'd sure enjoy more of that.
 
Thinking the hole probably held a stone a chain would have dug into your finger
 
Are you sure it's silver? Platinum is normally marked 950

HH
-GC
 
Looks like you got georgia on your mind, great find !!!
 
WTG,on your ring:icon_thumright:,,HH:hello:
 
I agree with goldencoin about it being platinum,also most silver rings aren't engraved. Nice find.
 
I'm betting it's Platinum... 950 = PTM
 
Gold, Silver or Plat?????????!!! I'm thinking plat baby!!


SnT
 
Last edited:
plat for sure - why else stamp 950 - is not that a standard? well done..... :)
 
I think you're correct

Kent, I think you got it right. I used my jewlers loop (16x) to take a good look at this hole. If you look at the close up photo I took you will see that the hole is not the same size on both ends of the ring which leads me to believe it was not a regular drill. The hole on the under side has a shorter diameter which tells me that there must have been a stone setting of some kind in this ring. It's too bad it wasn't in the ring when I found it.

I can't think of any other reason for that type hole being there. Does anyone have any other ideas?

One last thing. The ring is fairly shiney now, but is there anything to clean platinum that will make it sparkle?

plat ring hole.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom