What's new

Car/battery/oil finally Froze :(

Oh that sucks, Jeff. Lots of helpful tips have already been offered. I've been there for sure. I was curious/concerned to see how my daughter's plug in hybrid electric car would start for her this morning when she left for work at 5:20. Then I was worried about my chickens out in that cold all night too. No problems, fortunately.
 
Great deal on the Subaru, congrats!
 
Hello Jeff of pa,

Looks like you have a double whammy on your hands. First the thicker oil will require more energy from the battery to overcome the friction. Unfortunately, at these temperatures the batteries ability to produce the current needed is limited by the slower chemical reactions within the battery. Pepperj had a good solution; warm the engine with a blanket. I would also warm the battery this will provide a bit more “cranking power” to turn the cold engine over and hopefully start.

Good Luck

Doc
 
My 96 Ranger died last week - alternator went , power steering fluid was leaking 8 ounces a day , heater stopped heating , E-brake cable snapped , and the frame has a crack in it .
So I went on craigslist and bought a 96 Subaru Legacy Outback for $700.00 . An 85 year old woman owned it , her son had to put her in the nursing home . it is AWD , it has heated seats , cruise control , power windows , air . It only has 102,000 miles .

SWEET! A treasure hunter's dream bargain right there. AWD Command Vehicle with plenty of room to store your gear in the back. That thing will get you into the bush too! Nice "recovery" mate!:headbang:
 
My daughter was living in Alaska and always plugged in her block heater. One morning in the -20s she unplugged the heater and the heater cable just disintegrated in her hand!
 
My daughter was living in Alaska and always plugged in her block heater. One morning in the -20s she unplugged the heater and the heater cable just disintegrated in her hand!

Christmas Eve day, broke the loader bucket secure pins off the tractor, windshield wiper snapped off, metal and plastics are brittle in the extreme cold and it is a pain to do anything. I'll take 100F over a -20-40F anyday.
 
Dang Jeff ,what are you going to do when winter really arrives???:laughing7:

My truck eats batteries prematurely due to the plow. A few degrees below zero the other morning it needed the charger put on it. Means it is time for another new battery. A short charge on 10 amps she'll run though.
Usually about the second no start morning the grim reaper swoops in. If radio distortion during plow raise/ lower does not tattle first.

Not working an engine after starting can create problems with condensation too....It can take ten minutes of driving after warm up to drive out most water.
Don't want water in the oil pan.
 
I'll have to do the 2 - 30 minute warmups a day once I get it started.
Unless the Garage says it's my Battery.
The Battery looks New.
it never actually turned over.
it sounded like My engine was filed with penutbutter
it Turned part way Froze fast & the batter just Clicked after.

Of course I'll also get a Oil change while having my Battery Checked.

Right Now, I have enough Food, soda, coffee and drinking water
to last me till Mid January. after that my bread will be the first thing to go
will probably be bread in about 10 - 20 days
depending if I decide to ration to 1 slice a day.
right now I don't see reason to worry.

just disappointed 8-)
 
Last edited:
Christmas Eve day, broke the loader bucket secure pins off the tractor, windshield wiper snapped off, metal and plastics are brittle in the extreme cold and it is a pain to do anything. I'll take 100F over a -20-40F anyday.

Some of the broken axe heads recovered detecting were winter casualties ,not warmed before use when well below zero.
It was understandably important to warm horse bits too before putting them in mouths!

Busting pins is not good.....
Not having the plow on ,or winter weight oil ,my soon to be 70 year old tractor just sits with the charger on it.
Tough to get fired up in the cold anyway with 6volt system.
 
I'll have to do the 2 - 30 minute warmups a day once I get it started.
Unless the Garage says it's my Battery.
The Battery looks New.
it never actually turned over.
it sounded like My engine was filed with penutbutter
it Turned part way Froze fast & the batter just Clicked after.

Of course I'll also get a Oil change while having my Battery Checked.

Right Now, I have enough Food, soda, coffee and drinking water
to last me till Mid January. after that my bread will be the first thing to go
will probably be bread in about 10 - 20 days
depending if I decide to ration to 1 slice a day.
right now I don't see reason to worry.

just disappointed 8-)

If you do get it warmed up.Use something like this to keep the heat as long as possible.>> Insulated Moving Blanket
 
If you do get it warmed up.Use something like this to keep the heat as long as possible.>> Insulated Moving Blanket

at this time I'll wait till it goes above freezing for a Good 2 days ,
Or we get a full day of Bright Sun.

If after 2 days above freezing the Battery still doesn't turn
I'll get AAA up here to tow it to the Garage.
Let them Warm it up and Winterize the Oil & Battery.

I haven't used my AAA for awhile.
Got 3 free Tows till renewal in July 2018 available :laughing7:
 
Last edited:
New battery's will go bad, sounds like that is your trouble, im a betting.
 
I'm betting on the oil. however. with the temps I can't rule out the battery
 
Should a put that car in "D" with the compass on "S" for about 1,500 miles when you had the chance.

Some of dem yanks is slow learners.:laughing9:
Marvin
 
I'm betting on the oil. however. with the temps I can't rule out the battery

Are you not running multi-viscosity oil? What are you using that you are worried about your oil sludging from the cold?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom