What's new

Car/battery/oil finally Froze :(

Are you not running multi-viscosity oil? What are you using that you are worried about your oil sludging from the cold?

:dontknow: I just request High Mileage Oil, and add a Quart of Lucas Oil when it takes a quart.

I'm not a mechanic
 
:dontknow: I just request High Mileage Oil, and add a Quart of Lucas Oil when it takes a quart.

I'm not a mechanic

Adding an additive like Lucas Oil Treatment is ok if your engine requires a treatment, like burning oil. The stuff is way too heavy for most pumps and in the cold it thickens up even more.
Here's a link that might really help you understand what i'm referring to as the testing has been done, and I'm thinking your on the path of heavy/thick oil in the pan.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1360651
 
It is a very chilling 65 degrees in Fullerton Ca this morning. Brrrrrr What are we to do?
 
Thanks for reminding me that when you own an older vehicle with higher miles and such it pays to keep the engine running periodically in sub zero temps. I forgot to run mine yesterday but, got out and cranked her over today. No problems with the old 181,000 , mile 1995 Toyota Corolla 5 speed. She ain't much on looks but, gets me where I need to go. Ran it for about 30 minutes enough to melt the snow and ice off the glass. Winter just plain BITES! Why do folks insist on living under these harsh conditions?!? LOL!:laughing7:
 
Hey Jeff... I truly wish ya the best on your Saturn. I actually built THAT CAR! (and about 1,000,000+ others). New/good batteries can be "bad" very quickly. Keep the receipt for warranty help. And that additive your using does thicken up. Have the oil pan bolts snugged up or timing chain cover bolts also. Or... figure out if the oil is going out the exhaust. Does it have 200,000+ miles or more?
 
Last edited:
Hey Jeff... I truly wish ya the best on your Saturn. I actually built THAT CAR! (and about 1,000,000+ others). New/good batteries can be "bad" very quickly. Keep the receipt for warranty help. And that additive your using does thicken up. Have the oil pan bolts snugged up or timing chain cover bolts also. Or... figure out if the oil is going out the exhaust. Does it have 200,000+ miles or more?

I thing it's around 135 but it's been awhlie since i looked
 
I thing it's around 135 but it's been awhlie since i looked

Well damn... that ain't no mileage..IF MAINTENANCE was kept up from the get go. Maybe it overheated at some time and the pan and timing cover need snugged up only. But if the oil is blowing by the rings or from now bad valve guides because of overheating then an overhaul is needed. But those are/were great engines if maintenance was kept up. A simple battery check will tell ya if the battery is good/bad. Go to an Auto Zone or such and for free they'll check your alternator also which charges the battery. As stated above...maybe invest in a heated dip stick. But don't use a 200ft. extension cord!!!! (unless 14, 12 or 10 gauge wired).
 
Many years ago, I used to keep my battery in the house until I needed to go somewhere.
 
My 2000 Jeep Cherokee with 246.000 miles on it did Start ran it for 1/2 hr. to darn cold to go any where .
I worry cuz the hood won`t open, latch mechanism is screwed up ...might have to pry bar it open if i ever need a jump.
 
Last edited:
My 2000 Jeep Cherokee with 246.000 miles on it did Start ran it for 1/2 hr. to darn cold to go any where .
I worry cuz the hood won`t open, latch mechanism is screwed up ...might have to pry bar it open if i ever need a jump.

Winter just stinks when having vehicle issues. You'll need to get under the hood someday to check your fluids? I have had to "borrow" a friends heated garage space before to do emergency winter vehicle repairs. :BangHead: I hope your old Jeep keeps a truckin'.
 
Many years ago, I used to keep my battery in the house until I needed to go somewhere.

Been there , Done that when Battery Clamps were easy to access
top mounts , and batteries not hidden
 
My 96 Ranger died last week - alternator went , power steering fluid was leaking 8 ounces a day , heater stopped heating , E-brake cable snapped , and the frame has a crack in it .
So I went on craigslist and bought a 96 Subaru Legacy Outback for $700.00 . An 85 year old woman owned it , her son had to put her in the nursing home . it is AWD , it has heated seats , cruise control , power windows , air . It only has 102,000 miles .

you scored well on that one!!
 
Many years ago, I used to keep my battery in the house until I needed to go somewhere.

Ahh, the old days. When I was young and broke and drove a 61 Impala I used to have to start it a couple of times during the night if I wanted it to start in the morning. So at midnight and 3 am I would be sitting in the parking lot letting it run in the sub zero weather and a guy would come out of a neighboring apartment building toting his car battery. After he let the car run for a while, he would pull the battery out again and take it back in. Three hours later he and I would do the same thing again.
 
It's all about the battery, although in this case thick oil might be a contributing factor, thick oil shouldn't be a problem for a properly charged battery/charging system.

He's a few free cold start tips that apply to some automobiles:

If your auto has daytime running lights, aka DTRL's (lights on all the time), disable them with the parking brake until the car has been started. DTRL's are a big battery draw at start up.

Don't immediately start your car, turn your ignition switch to "on" and leave it there for about 15 seconds before cranking, fuel pumps and computers have a decent draw on the battery. This will allow all of the electronics in your auto to power up prior to sending power to the starter. When the starter has to compete with all of the electrical requirements, it will often lose the battle.
 
Single digits here in mo also, so cold this morning I thought I saw a yeti. you can go to your local auto parts and get a magnetic heater, stick it to you're oil pan works like a block heater. good luck

I used to have a lower radiator hose heater. Worked great! Used to go out and plug it in about an hour before firing it up. Made it start a lot easier and had instant heat. I don't have to park outside any more....that helps a lot.
 
Five degrees above here @ 7am.Last time it was this cold,The pigs ate my brother:coffee2:
 
Worth a try.........My dad use to put a light bulb by the oil pan & a heavy blanket between the Eng. & hood. His 1947 willies(left outside) in 20-30 bellow would always start up,the next morning.

I was gonna say, that used to be the "poor man's" way of keeping the oil warm....:thumbsup:
 
I was gonna say, that used to be the "poor man's" way of keeping the oil warm....:thumbsup:

As cheap as he was, he might as well be poor
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom