Carved bone? Please help

Fallguy

May 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok this was found in the Gasconade river in Missouri. A few other hunters have told me that they think I'm on the right track with fossilized carved bone but we aren't sure. I have found several points and tools in the past but never anything like this. Thanks for any input. 20160507_140838.jpg 20160518_174917.jpg 20160518_174821.jpg 20160518_174802.jpg

henniehank

May 18, 2016
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do they have any holes in them, because if they do maybe its part of some Indian jewelry. I am really not sure just throwing out some ideas.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the first picture it looks like a bird head carving.As far as the material no idea.

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNET!
Normally when bone is buried under water in mud for quite some time it becomes and looks somewhat fossilized. Your item looks like it has been through this process. It is hard to say, but your piece may have been used as an awl which has been well worn by use and weathering. This is just a possibility.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I could be wrong but I believe the piece is agatized wood and it wore down that way naturally in the river and wherever it was before ending up in the river. I have had and probably still have several specimens that are similar. I have no idea as to where they are since my oldest daughter and her 5 children moved in with me and everything got moved around and stored away.

Frank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fallguy

May 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to you all. Very helpful info for sure and i think i prefer to agree or at least want to believe that maybe it is an awl but not carved nor truly a fossil. If that's the case then still a good find I think. Thanks again everyone, great site!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread