Carved grooved ax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justintime

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2011
Central, Alabama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,Pro pointer, TRX,Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites Beachhunter ID, whites bullseye ll pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_20130519_215356.jpg IMG_20130519_214817.jpg . Found this ax walking a river bank, in two foot of water...carved out of clay, you can see the finger marks,and a finger nail imprint. Thanks Justintime8-)

Upvote 0

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this ax walking a river bank, in two foot of water...carved out of clay, you can see the finger marks,and a finger nail imprint. Thanks Justintime
cool.gif

Interesting but I've got to ask, What purpose do you think that a clay ax would serve?

OP
OP
Justintime

Justintime

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2011
Central, Alabama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,Pro pointer, TRX,Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites Beachhunter ID, whites bullseye ll pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this ax walking a river bank, in two foot of water...carved out of clay, you can see the finger marks,and a finger nail imprint. Thanks Justintime
cool.gif

Interesting but I've got to ask, What purpose do you think that a clay ax would serve?
Ceremonial purpose,ritual,for a dead loveone, There is dark stuff in the grove, mainly on one side, probably decomposed matter were it would had laid next to a body. I have found the same black stuff on other things,usually on one side.q

OP
OP
Justintime

Justintime

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2011
Central, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_20130519_220405.jpg IMG_20130519_220119.jpg here is another ax-tool. IMG_20130519_215836.jpg some pottery found that has different types of design. Thanks Justintime

OP
OP
Justintime

Justintime

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2011
Central, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
IMAG0477.jpg IMAG0482.jpg IMAG0458.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking the first is natural justintime. They did not carve clay though they did fire some funny shapes on occasion. In burials they would most times put that persons possessions with them. I have heard of clay effigies and pots but never ever an axe. I do have a spoon though 8-) I recognize your pottery from Ala as it is similar to what we find in Ala as well. You have a nice collection.

OP
OP
Justintime

Justintime

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2011
Central, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am thinking the first is natural justintime. They did not carve clay though they did fire some funny shapes on occasion. In burials they would most times put that persons possessions with them. I have heard of clay effigies and pots but never ever an axe. I do have a spoon though 8-) I recognize your pottery from Ala as it is similar to what we find in Ala as well. You have a nice collection.

Thanks Tnmountains, I have never seen a clay ax,most are hard stone,has to be rare. All the rivers, before they had them dammed up, teams of people from universities, attempted to salvage as much as possible, before they covered with water. I got all the records, everywhere they had a dot on their map, I put one on map. They described, weather the site was, paleo, archaic, woodland,ext. I found it to be productive. If I couldn't get to the spot, I would hunt all roads leading to it. Most spots are underwater, but some the water cuts right through the shellmound, I love flint layer hunting,very productive.. have a good day,, Justintime

OP
OP
Justintime

Justintime

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2011
Central, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Go ahead Larson lock this thread to. Apparently I'm a argument starter, pretty shady Larson, for locking the face rock tread.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not necessarily an argument starter- just a bit bull-headed, i.e., convinced you're right about a thing. Clay axe head? Nope. You can't fire something that thick- and that's just the physics part of it. It would explode. That's why large clay items are hollow in the middle. And there isn't any case for carved clay. Especially for a ceremony as sacred as the burial of the dead. The items buried w/ the dead would be of the highest quality- and not something which would decay/degrade over time. Sometimes when something is so 'rare' that there aren't any- anywhere-- well, the thing just isn't what you think it is... so 'rare' it actually doesn't exist. Sorry to burst your bubble on this one. I should add that those pottery pieces are excellent, and you have found quite a number of good pieces, so I know you're not some new face on the scene. And I must say, every time I read the words 'thumb print' or finger marks' or 'it's molded to the hand perfectly' I get suspicious. Yes, there are hand-axes- but they're generally very crude and not at all 'formed' to the shape of any part of the hand. The good axes are meant to be hasped- tied to a handle- not held in the hand, so a 'hand mark' wouldn't make any sense. Muchless a thumb print... and they're absolutely beautifully made. Carefully made. Polished. I think you're so gung-ho to have this thing be a real artifact that you're sidestepping reason.
Good luck hunting- and be sure to show us what you find along the way- for good or ill. We're here- and we're not trying to mess with you just for the heck of it. That would be pointless (pun intended;))
Yakker

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep looking Buddy it is possible,I've only got one item that I can think of in all my finds that has true nail prints in it.It's the pipe bowl below................
By the way the guy's here are good people & willing to help when they can but you have to accept there help not argue.Not saying believe them that's up to you make your own mind up.But if it's looking like it's going the wrong way just believe what you want & back out & post somthing else maybe.Not worth getting worked up over.Life to short to bicker over such.
Take Care,
hope you hang out & become another cool guy/or lady here on the forum,
Pete,:hello:

Attachments

• 001_1.jpg
    001_1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 002_1.jpg
    002_1.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 74
  • 003_1.jpg
    003_1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 004_1.jpg
    004_1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 005_1.jpg
    005_1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 68

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go ahead Larson lock this thread to. Apparently I'm a argument starter, pretty shady Larson, for locking the face rock tread.

:nono: I've been here a while and Larson is a fair man. That reply of yours is unwarranted! If he locked your post, it was because he did his job as a moderator. These guys / gals have my respect. - btw, if it makes you feel any better, one of my threads got locked for a period of time a while back to let folks get cooled off.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread locked. Thank you to those who reported. As per the rules you may disagree with a Mod but you may not disrespect their duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread