What's new

Carved grooved ax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justintime

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2011
Messages
1,174
Reaction score
346
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central, Alabama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,Pro pointer, TRX,Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites Beachhunter ID, whites bullseye ll pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_20130519_215356.webpIMG_20130519_214817.webp. Found this ax walking a river bank, in two foot of water...carved out of clay, you can see the finger marks,and a finger nail imprint. Thanks Justintime8-)
 
Upvote 0
Found this ax walking a river bank, in two foot of water...carved out of clay, you can see the finger marks,and a finger nail imprint. Thanks Justintime
cool.gif


Interesting but I've got to ask, What purpose do you think that a clay ax would serve?
 
Found this ax walking a river bank, in two foot of water...carved out of clay, you can see the finger marks,and a finger nail imprint. Thanks Justintime
cool.gif


Interesting but I've got to ask, What purpose do you think that a clay ax would serve?
Ceremonial purpose,ritual,for a dead loveone, There is dark stuff in the grove, mainly on one side, probably decomposed matter were it would had laid next to a body. I have found the same black stuff on other things,usually on one side.q
 
I should have guessed.
 
IMG_20130519_220405.webpIMG_20130519_220119.webphere is another ax-tool.IMG_20130519_215836.webp some pottery found that has different types of design. Thanks Justintime
 
IMAG0477.webpIMAG0482.webpIMAG0458.webp
 
I am thinking the first is natural justintime. They did not carve clay though they did fire some funny shapes on occasion. In burials they would most times put that persons possessions with them. I have heard of clay effigies and pots but never ever an axe. I do have a spoon though 8-) I recognize your pottery from Ala as it is similar to what we find in Ala as well. You have a nice collection.
 
I am thinking the first is natural justintime. They did not carve clay though they did fire some funny shapes on occasion. In burials they would most times put that persons possessions with them. I have heard of clay effigies and pots but never ever an axe. I do have a spoon though 8-) I recognize your pottery from Ala as it is similar to what we find in Ala as well. You have a nice collection.

Thanks Tnmountains, I have never seen a clay ax,most are hard stone,has to be rare. All the rivers, before they had them dammed up, teams of people from universities, attempted to salvage as much as possible, before they covered with water. I got all the records, everywhere they had a dot on their map, I put one on map. They described, weather the site was, paleo, archaic, woodland,ext. I found it to be productive. If I couldn't get to the spot, I would hunt all roads leading to it. Most spots are underwater, but some the water cuts right through the shellmound, I love flint layer hunting,very productive.. have a good day,, Justintime
 
Go ahead Larson lock this thread to. Apparently I'm a argument starter, pretty shady Larson, for locking the face rock tread.
 
Not necessarily an argument starter- just a bit bull-headed, i.e., convinced you're right about a thing. Clay axe head? Nope. You can't fire something that thick- and that's just the physics part of it. It would explode. That's why large clay items are hollow in the middle. And there isn't any case for carved clay. Especially for a ceremony as sacred as the burial of the dead. The items buried w/ the dead would be of the highest quality- and not something which would decay/degrade over time. Sometimes when something is so 'rare' that there aren't any- anywhere-- well, the thing just isn't what you think it is... so 'rare' it actually doesn't exist. Sorry to burst your bubble on this one. I should add that those pottery pieces are excellent, and you have found quite a number of good pieces, so I know you're not some new face on the scene. And I must say, every time I read the words 'thumb print' or finger marks' or 'it's molded to the hand perfectly' I get suspicious. Yes, there are hand-axes- but they're generally very crude and not at all 'formed' to the shape of any part of the hand. The good axes are meant to be hasped- tied to a handle- not held in the hand, so a 'hand mark' wouldn't make any sense. Muchless a thumb print... and they're absolutely beautifully made. Carefully made. Polished. I think you're so gung-ho to have this thing be a real artifact that you're sidestepping reason.
Good luck hunting- and be sure to show us what you find along the way- for good or ill. We're here- and we're not trying to mess with you just for the heck of it. That would be pointless (pun intended;))
Yakker
 
Keep looking Buddy it is possible,I've only got one item that I can think of in all my finds that has true nail prints in it.It's the pipe bowl below................
By the way the guy's here are good people & willing to help when they can but you have to accept there help not argue.Not saying believe them that's up to you make your own mind up.But if it's looking like it's going the wrong way just believe what you want & back out & post somthing else maybe.Not worth getting worked up over.Life to short to bicker over such.
Take Care,
hope you hang out & become another cool guy/or lady here on the forum,
Pete,:hello:
 

Attachments

  • 001_1.webp
    001_1.webp
    55.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 002_1.webp
    002_1.webp
    68.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 003_1.webp
    003_1.webp
    42.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 004_1.webp
    004_1.webp
    36.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 005_1.webp
    005_1.webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 84
Go ahead Larson lock this thread to. Apparently I'm a argument starter, pretty shady Larson, for locking the face rock tread.

:nono: I've been here a while and Larson is a fair man. That reply of yours is unwarranted! If he locked your post, it was because he did his job as a moderator. These guys / gals have my respect. - btw, if it makes you feel any better, one of my threads got locked for a period of time a while back to let folks get cooled off.
 
Last edited:
Thread locked. Thank you to those who reported. As per the rules you may disagree with a Mod but you may not disrespect their duties.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom