What's new

Casper & Gary D. An enlightening comparison?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
14,653
Reaction score
9,097
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper & Gary D. A enlightening comparison?

Both have had great success this year, however, there is a very interesting and enlightening comparison when we take a closer look at these two success stories. One of these hunters uses the CZ-21, a deep, powerful VLF machine. The other hunter uses the new CTX3030, a sensitive, precision machine. Casper found a lot of chunkier gold this year, Gary has found a lot of finer, less dense gold this year with routinely higher K’s. Both are/were regularly hunting in the saltwater environment. Both are hunting in regions with constant competition. Both are obviously doing something different then most hunters. I think there is a great deal to be learned here in this comparison.

To be honest, like a few other hunters I was beginning to question the number of finds Gary was posting recently but I am no longer questioning them. I do believe he has found every piece just as he claims. For most of us we have too easily traded sensitivity for depth. Casper is generally hunting beyond where most hunters venture, his access to chunkier gold allowed to happen more frequently simply because of the lack of competition. The CZ is deep and it is saltwater friendly, and it is a monster on chunkier, denser gold objects. Casper is also hunting over typically firmer bottoms which helps to prevent these heavier targets from sinking all the way to China. Casper has a great hunting strategy in face of the competition and it is awarding him well.

Gary, on the other hand, is unjustly facing a few skeptics right now. Why is he finding so much gold in face of the competition? Yep, it’s hard to believe, but then again, maybe not. I have a 1.5 gram gold cross that is very flat and thin. I can’t read this cross at all with my CZ, can’t read it with the Excal and WOT coil, can only barely read it with the Excal and 8” coil and only at a couple of inches, if that. The Sov. GT with the 8” coil can read it a bit deeper. Toss this cross into the sand and saltwater mixture and the Excal with 8” coil will only offer you a tic or two. People have been wondering why Gary isn’t finding a lot of typical bands and the simple answer is because everyone else can detect these. When we ask why everyone else isn’t finding the finer, higher K gold that Gary is routinely finding the answer is simply because most other hunters can’t detect them. Unfortunately, with VLF machines, depth and sensitivity are not close friends. Gary simply hunts slowly and methodically with the most sensitive setup he can. Like Casper, an excellent strategy in face of the competition. A lot to be learned from both successes and I am slowly trying to soak it all in so I can apply it all to my own hunting efforts. :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
Yes,Two Academy Award Winner's,as well as everyone else,,HH:hello:
 
Great observation, thank you very much!!
Casper and Gary are both master of detection,
i believe all finds of gary and gasper!
the problem is not the competition or metal detector used
In my opinion, i'm sure if you choose the time for hunt, especially, on ocean, there are the sand moving everytime, but the shalow water, its other situation.
In other hand i disagree with you of comparison, if you want to compare some people who must used same metal detector and same area.
This question for all members in this forum? How many gold did you find in one year?
Thank you?
 
Bigscoop, interesting observations. I have never thought a person did not find what she/he has posted. Fairly new at this (about 3 1/2 years.) Why would anyone post an item as a find she/he did not find? This makes absolutely no sense to me. If they do, God bless them, most likely a self esteem issue. Hurts me not. The comparison/observations are interesting though. Never really gave it much thought as to how one machine is could pick out larger gold while another is better at smaller/finer gold. Learning something new every day, which is not too difficult for me. Thank you for your insight.
 
Both have their ways of hunting and both could likely find gold with a stick. Gary had great success with the Xcal and DF as well. I believe we got a little more movement this month as well. Like you said.... those with skills can pick up the good stuff we leave behind. They just really know how to use a detector and when they get it to click know how to make it pay.

Dew
 
I agree two great hunters.
Like the Dew says:Those who know...... dont talk
,................................... How many Great hunters are out there and don't post?
 
Hey - you got to throw Whydah in the mix too (and there are many others) - But he uses an excal - and he hunted out in old and deep spots a little with me and got some chunky old gold -
and also did shallows and got some nice big newer diamonds -along with a lot of other jewelry and goodies
He tries to cover it all - I mostly do deep or less hunted spots or forgotten spots
Gary hunts beaches that are replenished every day and produce after blow outs with older gold - I never asked if he gets out very deep - I think he hits mostly in close
 
I hate to admit it but I've never read any of Gary's books, but I have learned a great deal from him in recent weeks just seeing his post and listening to what little he has said. The point of this post was an observation in the sharp contrast in hunting styles and the end results of each. Both are at the top of their individual games, very confident in what they are doing and why they are doing it the way they are. This is what I picked up on very early on. The other thing that stood out to me were the less obvious details in the outcomes of their individual successes. These are the things I've been trying to apply to my own efforts of late and my results are improving.....just not much fat chunky gold yet but I'm working on that. Going back to school can be so enduring sometimes. :laughing7:
 
Hey - you got to throw Whydah in the mix too (and there are many others) - But he uses an excal - and he hunted out in old and deep spots a little with me and got some chunky old gold -
and also did shallows and got some nice big newer diamonds -along with a lot of other jewelry and goodies
He tries to cover it all - I mostly do deep or less hunted spots or forgotten spots
Gary hunts beaches that are replenished every day and produce after blow outs with older gold - I never asked if he gets out very deep - I think he hits mostly in close

Yep, I hear you loud and clear. Point is, you all know what you are doing and exactly why you are doing it. :icon_thumleft:
 
I grabbed a few of the smaller gold from this year - Cz21 does great on small gold
DSC00008 (2).webp
I got 34 14k gold
4 18k
1 20k
2 22 k
rest was 10k
so far this year

I always get mostly 14k and up quality gold in Fla. waters
I got one of my 18k this yr down in Miami
and from my other Fla. trips over the yrs - I get mostly 14k but always get more 18k than 10k down there
 
I have to admit Gary is on a roll...He is putting the time in . and when you do that, you will also reap the rewards.... Like Casper said..... Gary lives in an area that gets replenished daily...and when it don't... the storms and winds help him out...wish we had such a place.... The Cz seems to love the fatty stuff, as Casper has demonstrated this year... He has also put some serious time in.The ex cal seems to like the thinner gold for some reason... I have found quite a few Gold this year, but they are thin.... but what I found was of very good quality, with many diamonds in the mix this year... it was a diamond season for me....maybe 1/3 of them were what you might considder to be a fatty... with one exception a 30.2 gram Gold ring with diamods also, that was uncovered by the recent storm... Honestly the more you use YOUR machine, the better your going to understand it... and you too will be in the Gold.... Happy Holidays to all of you....
 
Does anyone feel like they're putting in the time, but because the location isn't so great, it feels like an exercise in frustration. Gets disheartening at times.
 
Does anyone feel like they're putting in the time, but because the location isn't so great, it feels like an exercise in frustration. Gets disheartening at times.

We all feel your frustration... at times, and there are many of them, we all come home empty handed... keep plugging buddy it will happen....
 
Does anyone feel like they're putting in the time, but because the location isn't so great, it feels like an exercise in frustration. Gets disheartening at times.

I was there this summer. We had so much soft deep sand on the beaches and in the troughs anything dense and heavy was sinking out of range with the next tide change, if not sooner. Targets got so scarce I actually waved the white flag for a while and took a long break from usual hunting patterns and started exploring the beach in different ways and experimenting a lot with my machines and various targets in the wet sand and saltwater. This year, I have a different plan of attack for those tough, deep sand, summer hunts. When it just ain't working, time to do something different.
 
bigscoop,

Good analysis on your part.....I've participated in a few forums over the years and some members just seem to have an edge and do much better than the others.....

From my experience good site coverage whether land or beach and proper techniques will win out regardless of the caliber of machine used.....I've been hitting pounded sites for 20 years now and still coax a few keepers out of the ground for my efforts....

Regards + HH

Bill
 
"Does anyone feel like they're putting in the time, but because the location isn't so great, it feels like an exercise in frustration. Gets disheartening at times. " - s1u2r3f4

I had a hunt a week ago - water was rough - spent 2 hrs and found 1 nickel a few small sinkers and few pieces of junk - they are not all golden​
 
Hello every one.Casper and Gary both great hunters,but yesterday I meet a LEGEND.
The Guy was 82 years old. With 52 years of experience of treasure hunting. What a man! He was in the water with his machine and he was working harder.We stop and chat for awhile. The best hunting day with personal record for him was 53 gold rings. Now that what we talking about.Sorry guys,but no comparing.
 
Hello every one.Casper and Gary both great hunters,but yesterday I meet a LEGEND.
The Guy was 82 years old. With 52 years of experience of treasure hunting. What a man! He was in the water with his machine and he was working harder.We stop and chat for awhile. The best hunting day with personal record for him was53 gold rings. Now that what we talking about.Sorry guys,but no comparing.

If I ever found 53 gold in one day I believe I'd take most of the next detecting day off. :laughing7:

And, I'd probably throw the smallest low k back just out of guilt. :laughing7:
 
Last edited:
I would love to have seen the rings.....53? what year was that? just curious.....did he say?
 
Ill bet he didnt find 53 yesterday lol. Hes sure been at it since the beginning..... congrats to him. I run up on some of the FATHERS of our hobby out there occasionally, you have to love chatting with them especially if they have been in the area that long.

Dew
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom