prospector40 said:
I know a place in western pa, Indiana county, known as the coon hollow cemetery. I used to live within 2 miles of it. Growing up in the early 70's it was a popular party spot, lots of drug deals went on there, as well as other activity (use your imagination). Anyway, today, I could ask people that live within 5 mins of it and they have not a clue that it even exists. Even if it rains or even sprinkles out, you will need a 4X4 to get to it. Most of the head stones are broken, graves are caved in from rotting caskets, junk from years ago just dumped in back portions of the place. I have not hunted it and agree that MDing on the graves and around headstones is off limits.
I would argue that MDing around it is ok, depending on ones personal convictions. I would also argue that by virtue of the location and condition would also allow for "limited" detecting. Reason? Almost nobody knows its there, you cant even see the place in the fall when the trees are bear. This place was written off by the township its in probably in the mid 50's. I would argue that is the greater sin.
BUT!!! If someone was to do some limited detecting, it should remain between the person doing it and their detector. I would still recommend the same courtesy to that place that I would to someone elses property. Fill in holes, take out all trash, and so on.
That is the type of Place You Make Hunting with a Detecter
a Priority.
Do some research. First Find out how Old.
If Pre Civil War, Find out Who Owns it.
(Probably Catholic. Just a guess but most abandond ones around here are
Catholic or Small Family Cemetaries.)
If owned by the Church, Talk to the Preacher about having a conversation
with the Congrigation.
Explain You Love History & Feel Bad for the Condition
of the Cemetery.
Explain there are Probably Civil War Vetrans Buried there
among others & Ask How they would feel about
having the Place Restored to it's Former self
in time for the Next Veterans Day, With Flags Proudly
placed on the Graves.
Of course this would take Community Effort.
& With your Detector you would Be proud to Find
the old Gates if they were there. Alot of the Old
Stones are Probably Buried but most would
have an Iron Pipe in them to set them in the Bases.
There would Be old GAR Stars
that have been covered
over the years That the Local VFW or American Legion Would
Be happy to Accept Back & Replace with New ones.
Half way Through have a Open House to show off everyones
Progress & Possably get more Volunteers & Donations
Of Fill & Stone repair help.
and at the End another open house Again Show off all the Finds,
which of course you will Donate everyting found or at least
Everything but a few Coins to the church.
Have the Priest do a service. & Get Tons of Locals
to say. "Hey there goes that guy who
found all that cool stuff at the Cemetery.
I Wonder if he'll Search Our place.
Turn it
to this
http://www.bettinger.com/cemetery/views.htm
& Back to something like this
1907 MEMORIAL Service
