What's new

Checked out the creek today

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had 5 inches of rain the other day and I heard the creek flooded over the banks. I went and looked around a bit at the gravel bars which will be real good when the water goes down a few feet. Most of the trees that were pushed up are out of the way now. I didnt expect to find much seeing the water was high. This is what I found, HH rock
I did see a big otter and a gobbler doing the dance for a female turkey.
 

Attachments

  • SDC10780.webp
    SDC10780.webp
    418.6 KB · Views: 147
  • SDC10790.webp
    SDC10790.webp
    491.3 KB · Views: 118
  • SDC10788.webp
    SDC10788.webp
    552.5 KB · Views: 124
  • SDC10789.webp
    SDC10789.webp
    493.2 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0
...Wow rock...you've been finding a lot lately, nice! Boy...5 inches of rain, wish we could have some of that...:( You have "otters" there...hear they're cute! Kind of like that "seal" looking piece of (I guess?) wire in your last post. :)
 
Yeah I got a pic of it on my phone. I knew we had beavers, muskrats already but didnt know we had otters. They are cute but can be very mean if they have babies near by. I wish I had my camera cause it came rite up where I was standing and smiled at me. At least I hope it was smiling and not showing me its teeth.
 
...lol...yah, watch out if it's a "mother"! We actually got charged by a doe while in our truck! Really odd until we saw she had a young one in the nearby brush. Maybe one day you will get a pic. of a otter and then post it...please...:)
 
Bummer on the ''Heartbreaker''? and nice finds on the pottery shards.
 
Otters are really cool creatures.They are a lot of fun to watch.They are best when in streams rivers and lakes.On the flip side your smile will quickly fade if you have them in your privately stocked pond....Rock you better be careful around those swollen streams that waters cold....mjm
 
Bummer on the ''Heartbreaker''? and nice finds on the pottery shards.

Yes the tip was gone and was a fresh break. Probably from tumbling on the gravel and then landed on the sand where I found it. I was excited cause the base was facing up and when I pulled it, well Im sure you can hear me now when I saw the break.
 
Looks like that creek gonna be good when the water recedes. Like mainejman said if you like to pond fish you DON'T want to see otters. They will slam clean out a pond in a hurry and leave you nothing.
 
I got a big male in the freezer I found hit on the road.No damage, want to have it mounted .Don't know how long it will keep for mounting though......mjm
 
I got a big male in the freezer I found hit on the road.No damage, want to have it mounted .Don't know how long it will keep for mounting though......mjm

that would depend on how you wrapped it up when you put it in the freezer. I was a taxidermist for 25 years and I know a thing or three about freezer burn on hides. Newspaper and a wet towel is a great wrap to use to preserve your animal if you are not going to get it mounted right away.
 
Thanks for the info huntress.Sounds like I might have to bury this one.It was only wrapped in a couple garbage bags...mjm
 
I got a big male in the freezer I found hit on the road.No damage, want to have it mounted .Don't know how long it will keep for mounting though......mjm

Most hides will only keep for no more than a year is what a buddy of mine that does taxidermy work said. You need to skin it and salt it down and you are right about an Otter and a pond. Anytime I see one I try to take him for the hide, makes a great bow quiver.:laughing7:
 
Yes the tip was gone and was a fresh break. Probably from tumbling on the gravel and then landed on the sand where I found it. I was excited cause the base was facing up and when I pulled it, well Im sure you can hear me now when I saw the break.



Yeah, don't you hate it when the pointed end is hidden in the soil and your not sure if the point is complete. I guess that's the "thrill of the hunt".
 
Yeah, don't you hate it when the pointed end is hidden in the soil and your not sure if the point is complete. I guess that's the "thrill of the hunt".

Very true. It has happened many times you kinda stare at it and whisper....be whole be whole. Then you pull it out and either smile or say something you cant type on Tnet :laughing7:
 
nice looking flint rock,i like those otters i see them around here and like too watch them
 
Nice finds. I've been seeing this hen turkey all by herself and wondering if the coyotes will get her before the bobcats. There were 4 turkeys in my front yard and they flew off when I came in one day. I told the person riding with me they were wild turkeys and he asked how I could tell the difference between wild turkeys and domestic. The wild turkeys can fly and the domestic turkeys are like me, they're to fat to get off the ground. lol
 
I would see a lot of otters when I lived in Kissimmee, Florida. I would do a bunch of fishing on lake Toho and they would always try to take the fish I caught. Very cute critters.
 
Thanks and Im thinking it might of been a river otter that swam up the creek to have babies. It will probably leave after that. I will just have to be careful not to walk that area in the water.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom