Civil War Chewed Bullet!!!!!

RingMaster44

Apr 3, 2013
Lund this chewed bullet today. Do you think it's a 3 ringer or an enfield. And do those pics look like molar marks. Thanks Here are the pics image-2414486669.jpg image-976221917.jpg

Here is a 3 ringer found 5 feet away from the chewed one

image-1684929881.jpg

Upvote 6

Corlett

Jan 22, 2014
Manchester
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Special edition
Whites Dual field P.I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 3 Ringer is great, well done.. :icon_thumright:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool find! I think it has been chewed by rodents and plows, but probably not people.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found quite a few of these over the years that have apparently been dug up and chewed by squirrels, and there was one field I used to hunt where the farmer used to let his hogs out there after harvest and they would root them up and chew on them! Have no idea why! Anyways congrats on the the find!

OP
OP
RingMaster44

RingMaster44

Apr 3, 2013
I've found quite a few of these over the years that have apparently been dug up and chewed by squirrels, and there was one field I used to hunt where the farmer used to let his hogs out there after harvest and they would root them up and chew on them! Have no idea why! Anyways congrats on the the find!
Thanks man

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found them with very obvious teeth marks that leave little doubt as to them being human. Lot's of controversy over the chewed bullets, but yours doesn't look like just a rodent to me. The larger deeper gouges anyway. Just my 2 cents.:icon_thumleft:

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the teeth marks are explained by soldiers biting down on them. Not sure if that's what's on your bullet or not but I believe when field amputations and things of the sort occurred. They'd bite down on them, because they weren't administering iv pain killers or anesthetic. Pain bullet, also where the term bite the bullet supposedly comes from

OP
OP
RingMaster44

RingMaster44

Apr 3, 2013
I think the teeth marks are explained by soldiers biting down on them. Not sure if that's what's on your bullet or not but I believe when field amputations and things of the sort occurred. They'd bite down on them, because they weren't administering iv pain killers or anesthetic. Pain bullet, also where the term bite the bullet supposedly comes from
Ok cool I wonder if it is

OP
OP
RingMaster44

RingMaster44

Apr 3, 2013
I have found them with very obvious teeth marks that leave little doubt as to them being human. Lot's of controversy over the chewed bullets, but yours doesn't look like just a rodent to me. The larger deeper gouges anyway. Just my 2 cents.:icon_thumleft:
Yeah I don't think it a rodent either

chazman

Jan 21, 2014
the sticks
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like molar or side teeth marks to me.
they used bullets or leather to bite (both resistant yet soft) on when working on wounds to keep the soldiers from breaking their teeth by clenching them so hard due to the pain.
great find!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could see my dog finding something like that and chewing on it, but it would of had to of been on top. There would have to of been marks on both side if someone had bit down on it. Always fun trying to figure out finds. Looks like a good spot to hunt, nice finds.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That would certainly be a unique piece of history!

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding according to alot of historians is the reason they chewed on the bullets was for when they shot the round at someone if would tear and rip and inflict more damage upon impact . Not for pain , and thats where the saying came from bit the bullet I have seen several historic shows including diggers mentioning it. Great find !

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC151.jpg small sample of musketballs (got more) - chewed
a few said same thing to me - got to be an animal - NOPE