Civil War Payroll gold may have been found in Elk County PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.... Now that would be a kicker after all this discussion if a body or something else was discovered that had nothing to do with the treasure legend. lol

That is actually fairly common. Hunters discover bones, or bones are found while digging a well, or foundation.... then it becomes a media circus, only to be reported weeks later that testing reveals they are hundreds of years old and from a native people of the area.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya you are right, They did say NOTHING WAS FOUND but in the same statement they said they would not admit to be looking for Civil War Gold :dontknow: and the investigation was still going on. OK if no gold was found why a investigation :tongue3: . Now if gold was found, then they maybe looking into the people that dug at the site 5 yrs ago and may of took some :dontknow: or maybe they are looking into were did this gold and artifacts come from :occasion14:. If they are still doing a investigation, they can say anything they want :BangHead: until its done.

Your statement is incorrect.
"in the same statement they said they would not admit to be looking for Civil War gold"

Here is the complete FBI statement on this matter:
The FBI was conducting a court-authorized excavation last week at Dents Run, Elk County, Pennsylvania.

Nothing was found, and the excavation ended on Wednesday, March 14.

As this is related to an ongoing investigation, any additional comment would be inappropriate at this time.

Simple straight forward statement. Nothing ambiguous, no guessing necessary.

If you have facts to add they would be appreciated. So far the above statement from the FBI is the only verifiable statement in more than 70 pages of back and forth.

I'll wait until May 15th for your factual revelations.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is actually fairly common. Hunters discover bones, or bones are found while digging a well, or foundation.... then it becomes a media circus, only to be reported weeks later that testing reveals they are hundreds of years old and from a native people of the area.
Yes and they could have been searching for that or anything else. Whatever they were searching for nothing was found though and this post is a perfect example as to how something like the legend of Dents Run can get started. Wild theories and stories going back and forth and taking a life of its own. I imagine in post war saloons there must have been some good bar fights over the legitimacy of this very story just like is going on here.lol

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*******on topic*******

And this is dependant on which story you decide to follow or weather to take bits and parts of each one.Most has them either under attack or fleeing attackers when the gold is hidden.The only story I know that could possibly place the gold in this area is the one where one guy killed the rest and then he would have had time to hide it.

One story has the mules found dead another they were found alive.....alot of diffrences in the stories about this legend.The one mainstay from all the different stories is that none of the names from this gold shipment can be found anywhere in military records.

***** off topic******

Why do you sometimes use an emoji or 2 at the end and in the middle of every sentence.It seems like 2 different people are posting under this account.This could be why sometimes your posts contradict themselves.Sometimes the post has no emojis and others have so many it basically makes the post unreadable.

A dead :skullflag: mule that comes:icon_scratch:alive:angel12::angel12:could it be Frankenmule:BangHead:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A dead :skullflag: mule that comes:icon_scratch:alive:angel12::angel12:could it be Frankenmule:BangHead:

I blame most things I can't figure out on Frankenmule. It's nice to have a credible explanation when being questioned. The old "it was a dead mule, then it was alive" usually gets them laughing so hard I can slip away and hope they forget the whole incident.

Frankenmule is a good go to. It never fails to astound and distract. Try it for a while before you get too critical. :thumbsup:

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay I found it and they do say an "ongoing investigation" so we'll see what happens. Still they say nothing was found so my guess is it's just wrapping it up. The word gold is never mentioned anywhere. Here is the link for those interested: https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/fiel...atement-on-elk-county-pennsylvania-excavation Actually no one even knows if this is even dealing with the Dents run legend, that I am aware of. Just assumptions that it is. Now that would be a kicker after all this discussion if a body or something else was discovered that had nothing to do with the treasure legend. lol

This is what happens when you work with the FBI, take it all in. The FBI will not talk, DCNR will not talk , But we were on site with a major investigation reporter from Washington DC. and we will talk soon. The FBI did not tell us that the investigation was done yet so we gave them until May 15 th to give my lawyer something to hold us back or we talk. The best part is about to come, hang in there.:occasion14::hello2::headbang::icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is what happens when you work with the FBI, take it all in. The FBI will not talk, DCNR will not talk , But we were on site with a major investigation reporter from Washington DC. and we will talk soon. The FBI did not tell us that the investigation was done yet so we gave them until May 15 th to give my lawyer something to hold us back or we talk. The best part is about to come, hang in there.:occasion14::hello2::headbang::icon_thumright:
Sounds good and I'll see what you have to post, but as far as the Dents Run Confederate gold, that part of it is already answered in my opinion on this particular situation with the FBI. I am curious what you will mention and hope it's something concrete and factual (even if something else happened with the Dents Run situation) , cause if not it may get some people stirred up again on here. lol

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was fishing in Hicks and witnessed the flyover. There will be more reports on this, there were lots of people in the area today.
I saw it as well.....flew eye level with our camp.....but....ive seen everything from F18's to cargo helicopters running down that valley for the past 20 years

NewAge

Jan 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Didn't DCNR issue you with some type of document that they owned all the media rights about work being done on this site?.....if so has this been resolved?

I can't remember what the document actually stated or where I found it ....any chance you could post it.

Timbersnort

Mar 16, 2018
PA Wilds
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I saw it as well.....flew eye level with our camp.....but....ive seen everything from F18's to cargo helicopters running down that valley for the past 20 years

Ha, I knew someone else had to have seen this osprey in the valley, I've seen other military fly overs as well over the years in this valley but this one was hovering at times and seemed very unusual similar to the other unusual military-FBI guests in the general area recently. I've also noticed numerous vehicles in the Ambush site area since the FBI dig date.

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also know that the topography of the Allegheny moutians in this area resembles parts of Pakistan and Afghanistan, so training from fort Indian town gap happens all the time, the folding of the mountains here is very similar in elevation and topo, low flying this region is common.

Timbersnort

Mar 16, 2018
PA Wilds
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wanted to check out site first hand, just observation of course, is that possible, or access closed?

View attachment Dents Run Gold Bank.pdf

1941 photo of Dents Run, I'd say the road was there going back to 1860's when Miles Dent and gang would have carved it in to skid logs down. If you can stomach the sensational elements to the various legends, this valley floor would have been occupied by several dozen residents at the time of the alleged 1863 incident.

Last edited:

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weather permitting, this Saturday I take a hike with my two youngest, they still like to hike around with dad, the older ones are to (busy) ,I told them of the story, the recent news attention, and rumors of a possible show, and they are all in might get to see a elk,that would be cool, I just want to lay eyes on the site,should be a good day with younguns,a little more interesting to them than just another excursion with dad, lol

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would imagine a natural shelter that's been described, near a water source,would have at least a native (footpath) shelters were not ignored, I want to see the topography of the site, get a clearer picture of all that's been discussed, looking forward to it

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't DCNR issue you with some type of document that they owned all the media rights about work being done on this site?.....if so has this been resolved?

I can't remember what the document actually stated or where I found it ....any chance you could post it.

Ya, They said they may own the rights to any movie made but did not know what my rights were if any. Now this is with a FILM CREW on site , not our 10yrs of video we have. So if DCNR has rights and want's paid to film on site , No problem , we don't need to be on site to finish the TV series. Like I said most of the filming is done and ready to edit. A film crew can do reenactments off site or pay the hunting camp owner at Dents Run were the FBI set up camp. Its up to the Film Crew to pay who and were to film.
Scan_20180423 (7).png They want to hold on to a story that no one believes is real, and they don't even know the story, only what has been in Magazines and news papers. Ya DCNR wants it all, what else is new. They tried this trick on us before and it did not work. They gave us paper work to drill on site and have a major film company on site but we had to give up our rights to anything found , erase all complaints we filed against them, and never talk about what they did to us over the years on TV , Movie, Book , TV News ,etc. We did not take the deal. This was the last time we set down with DCNR and tried to work things out.

Attachments

• ARTIFACTS  FOUND.png
    ARTIFACTS FOUND.png
    572.1 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jeff, He is counting down the days that we plan to go public with our info. May 15

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread