What's new

Clerk didnt know what my halves were...

GlassyEyed

Full Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2009
Messages
161
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

On my return trip from Montana last week I decided to eat lunch at the airport (bad idea due to cost).

I was on a layover in Minn, MN and went into an AW to get a chili dog. So anyways one chili dog, fries and drink came out to $9.48 so I gave the clerk 19 halves I had obtained from a bank in Montana.

She had a foreign accent, Somolian i would guess from her looks and dialect...she asked me what the coins were...so I told her .50 cent pieces. Actually I said they are 50 cents each. She counts up the 19 halves and says there is only $4.50 here...so I again explained they were 50 cents each. She recounted and gave me my two cents back in change...

I had read stories on here about teens who didn't know what the halves were, but never thought I would actually run into this situation...just thought it was funny.

Happy Hunting all!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

Surprised she didn't try to give you $9.50 in change, that's usually what I end up with. Of course, I always correct them, but I still think it's funny. It's happened to me at least a half dozen times.
 
Re: Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

Funny, yet sad. Ya can't really blame those poor folk and teens. When is the last time you actually got back a fiddy cent piece in regular change. I sure can't remember when! ffd
 
Re: Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

After dealing with so many idiots im begining to think i should have been a rocket scientist. I usually carry a half dollar to show them. I am still having problems trying to explain what hand rolled coins are. I just recently taught another teller who thought she couldnt order halves that the question isnt whether or not they can but whether or not they will. Again i am always very polite.
 
Re: Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

GlassyEyed:
Just remember the current rate of conversion is two halves equal one Somolian.....
- Grizz
 
Re: Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

Have run into many adults too who count them as $'s and give me change accordingly; one lady looked at them like they might be foreign or counterfeit she was in her 40's.
 
Re: Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

quiksilver said:
After dealing with so many idiots im begining to think i should have been a rocket scientist. I usually carry a half dollar to show them. I am still having problems trying to explain what hand rolled coins are. I just recently taught another teller who thought she couldnt order halves that the question isnt whether or not they can but whether or not they will.Again i am always very polite.
See my previous reply.
 
Re: Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

It's called having fun with currency :laughing7:

It makes a boring day ton's of fun

Just for laugh's throw in a couple Ike's :wink:
 
Re: Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

Jeep said:
It's called having fun with currency :laughing7:

It makes a boring day ton's of fun

Just for laugh's throw in a couple Ike's :wink:
Ya mean "silver dollars?" lol!
 
Re: Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

Try this once the bill is $4.37 give em,3 singles 3 halfs and 7 cents. could take a while (just give me the 20 cents) huh?
 
Re: Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

I have gotten numerous people that tell me they don't take foriegn money when I try to give them a half, and others that think they are dollars. Some think they are rare, and even if clad keep them for themselves. I had one guy tell me he was buying them from someone else at $0.75 per half, since they were rare. I told him they were not, and offered to sell him whatever he wanted for $0.50 per half. he didn't take any from me, but I bet when the other guy (Scammer) came in they had a nice talk. lol.
 
Re: Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

jrf30 said:
I have gotten numerous people that tell me they don't take foriegn money when I try to give them a half, and others that think they are dollars. Some think they are rare, and even if clad keep them for themselves. I had one guy tell me he was buying them from someone else at $0.75 per half, since they were rare. I told him they were not, and offered to sell him whatever he wanted for $0.50 per half. he didn't take any from me, but I bet when the other guy (Scammer) came in they had a nice talk. lol.
Yeah, i've ran into a couple clerks who thought they were rare and collectible too. It's fun to watch peoples reactions when you pay using halves.
 
Re: Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

That time when I gave the Wendy's clerk a bunch of the 50 cent pieces I was carrying to pay for my bill she asked, What are they,Who makes um?
 
Re: Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

Try payin at McDonalds with a couple Susan B's or Sac's. Talk about a blank stare..........LOL
 
Re: Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

There are two factors to concider in this situation: 1. She's a teen and they rarely see the Halves anymore due to VERY reduced circulation 2. With that accent you described she is probably a foreigner and again, it is rare to see halves in actual circulation anymore. I think I have gone 2 years without getting a single 50 cent piece in day to day change.

That being said, one would think that in training a merchant/restaurant would at the very least ensure that their employee's at least know what a 50 cent piece or a Susan B is...
 
Re: Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

At my job all the front end girls on the registers at the market are either high school or collage age i wanted to buy a 20oz soda it cost 1.78 with tax and deposit i just happen to have a 2.00 bill nothing special i handed the girl the bill she said what is this ? i said a 2 dollar bill LOL she had to turn around and show all the other girls the bill who all came over and all said OMG!! i never saw one of those is it new ? then the girl did not know where to put the bill she had to ask the pit boss she said just put it under the 1.00 bills :laughing7: i just laughed took my change and went back to work .Dd60
 
Re: Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

Deepdiger60 said:
At my job all the front end girls on the registers at the market are either high school or collage age i wanted to buy a 20oz soda it cost 1.78 with tax and deposit i just happen to have a 2.00 bill nothing special i handed the girl the bill she said what is this ? i said a 2 dollar bill LOL she had to turn around and show all the other girls the bill who all came over and all said OMG!! i never saw one of those is it new ? i just laughed took my change and went back to work .Dd60

Lucky they didn't accuse you of trying to pass a fake bill lol.
 
Re: Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

rwb83 said:
Deepdiger60 said:
At my job all the front end girls on the registers at the market are either high school or collage age i wanted to buy a 20oz soda it cost 1.78 with tax and deposit i just happen to have a 2.00 bill nothing special i handed the girl the bill she said what is this ? i said a 2 dollar bill LOL she had to turn around and show all the other girls the bill who all came over and all said OMG!! i never saw one of those is it new ? i just laughed took my change and went back to work .Dd60

Lucky they didn't accuse you of trying to pass a fake bill lol.
Yea really lol
 
Re: Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

jrf30 said:
I have gotten numerous people that tell me they don't take foriegn money when I try to give them a half, and others that think they are dollars. Some think they are rare, and even if clad keep them for themselves. I had one guy tell me he was buying them from someone else at $0.75 per half, since they were rare. I told him they were not, and offered to sell him whatever he wanted for $0.50 per half. he didn't take any from me, but I bet when the other guy (Scammer) came in they had a nice talk. lol.


Yep...every so often I have to pay to park at work. I usually pay in halves since it's only $3. Every single time the same lady gets this look of wonder on her face and says..."Ooohh I am buying these from the register".

And last week I was in a pawn shop in Montana when I asked the owner how much for the 40% he had in a glass case...he quoted me a price and then said..."You know all of them below 1968 are silver". My reply was actually 1970 and below have silver...he just gave me a blank stare :0). You would think a pawn shop owner would know such things??
 
Re: Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

GlassyEyed said:
jrf30 said:
I have gotten numerous people that tell me they don't take foriegn money when I try to give them a half, and others that think they are dollars. Some think they are rare, and even if clad keep them for themselves. I had one guy tell me he was buying them from someone else at $0.75 per half, since they were rare. I told him they were not, and offered to sell him whatever he wanted for $0.50 per half. he didn't take any from me, but I bet when the other guy (Scammer) came in they had a nice talk. lol.


Yep...every so often I have to pay to park at work. I usually pay in halves since it's only $3. Every single time the same lady gets this look of wonder on her face and says..."Ooohh I am buying these from the register".

And last week I was in a pawn shop in Montana when I asked the owner how much for the 40% he had in a glass case...he quoted me a price and then said..."You know all of them below 1968 are silver". My reply was actually 1970 and below have silver...he just gave me a blank stare :0). You would think a pawn shop owner would know such things??

How much did he want for the 40%er? Bet he though it was rare...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom