coin cleaning

R

reds

I have two rules for cleaning coins,ect,ect,.. not all coins can be cleaned. but here is what i have luck with, use caution and check progress every few minutes. ok here goes. i use a commercial cleaning product named powerhouse shooter. time will vary and use common sense while cleaning.cover coins, ect with the liquid let set and shake around every few minutes. i never over clean them. after they are reasonably cleaned wash off with water and dry with cloth. i then placed them in a plastic container and squirk? some wd40 on them or a metal penetrant. replace lid on container to keep air tight. every month or so give another shot of wd 40. this method seems to work very well for me. always experiment with? one coin first to check results.yesterday finds in about 1/2 hr. was 5 quarter 1 dime and 1 penny in a local park. good luck..reds

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree on the Metal Penatrents. They work Great on Copper Coins. and I'v never had a coin dealer give me a dirty look, when I tell them.

DigItUp

Jun 28, 2005
louisiana
has anyone ever tried that "BAM" cleaning product on the commercial it shows it to clean a coin to look brand new in 60 seconds

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The general rule of cleaning coins is DON'T CLEAN COINS!!

These kinds of cleaning agents can strip metal from coins, that most dealers should notice!

Don't ever ever rub, scrub, or pick at a coin to clean it or dry it!!

If the coins are so dirty you can't see anything just do a oil soak and blot dry! (Soak the coin in olive oil for 60+ days rinse and blot dry)

HH!!

casei

Jul 28, 2005
OKC, OK USA
thanks jake. what do you suggest i do? i bought these pennies at a swap meet and they are blackish. i would like to shine them up without hurting them.

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Well if you dont care about ever selling them, then something called Noxon 7 Metal Polish will clean just about any metal in the world.

AKiwi

Aug 4, 2005
Hastings, NZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500
I have just read in another forum that some guys use an electrolysis machine to clean metal and coins, home made.
Seems simple enough.....anybody tried it??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions