What's new

Coin?

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Is this a coin or a blank? :icon_scratch:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0629.webp
    IMG_0629.webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_0630.webp
    IMG_0630.webp
    16 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_0631.webp
    IMG_0631.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_0632.webp
    IMG_0632.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 491
I'm thinking they are coins for sure. Buttttt they are seriously worn. Still a good find. Some call the worn ones cookies ;D Stay in that area you are bound to find more with some sort of detail.

Brian
 
Upvote 0
Now this one is a coin, the bent one, still leaning towards it being a button.

Don
 
Upvote 0
Cool. This is the area I found the 1655 Colonial Spanish Cob, 1 Real.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0626.webp
    IMG_0626.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_0624.webp
    IMG_0624.webp
    22.9 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_0624.webp
    IMG_0624.webp
    22.9 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_0626.webp
    IMG_0626.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 472
Upvote 0
Garabaldi said:
Cool. This is the area I found the 1655 Colonial Spanish Cob, 1 Real.


Looks good. I bought a labeler years ago and still haven't got around to doing my coins.

PS... You can get even a step better if you lose the staples by using the self-adhesive 2x2s.
 
Upvote 0
If it was a British coin, any idea on the date?
Good suggestion Ironpatch, didn't no they made them. :wink:
 
Upvote 0
Large coppers worn smooth, thick like that and not pitted are usually a William III Halfpenny, ther Reverses for the most part on most found will be smooth and blank and the Obverse if it has any detail left at all will have some of the GV letters showing and the telltale Ribbons and partial outline of the rear of the bust. That is just how they wear, so when a blank is found that is found in an area associated with other colonial relics, I measure the diameter and weight in grains or grams and can usually make a good assumption that it is a William III instead of a KGII or KGIII Halfpenny.

Don

I tried the self adhesive 2x2s but found that I take my coins out occasionally for photos or other reasons and you have to ruin those self adhesive ones to do so but not so with a stapled one.
 
Upvote 0
I keep looking and see nothing. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
I'm from Mass.
Don in SJ said:
Large coppers worn smooth, thick like that and not pitted are usually a William III Halfpenny, I measure the diameter and weight in grains or grams and can usually make a good assumption that it is a William III instead of a KGII or KGIII Halfpenny.

I measured the coin and it is 1 1/8" in diameter. I do not have a scale, so not sure how much it weights, :icon_scratch: Does anyone know teh diameter of a William III Halfpenny?
 
Upvote 0
Here is weight data on most of my William III Halfpence. Most measure around 27.7mm to a 28.6mm in worn condition. A 1 1/8 (roughly 28.5mm )measurement The tell all would be weight, with a copper that size and thickness my feeling is if it would fall within the parameters of the weights of mine, especially the well worn ones I have than a stronger possibility it is a William copper, but if much lighter, than a KGIII counterfeit.

125 grains =8.1 grams(low end) 155 grains = 10 grams(High end) ( a small postal scale would measure grams, there are conversion programs on the web, but if your worn out copper falls between 8-10 grams, then we could eliminate a KGIII worn out copper)

1694 William& Mary 125.9 gns
1694 William & Mary 124.2 gns
1695 William III 154.4 gns
1697 William III 132.4 gns
1699 William III 132.3 gns
ND William III 104.9 gns (counterfeit?)
ND William III 124.2 gns
ND William III 133.8 gns
ND William III 130.8 gns
ND William III 125.8 gns
ND William III 134.6 gns
ND William III 148.1 gns
ND William III 151.8 gns
ND William III 137.0 gns
ND William III 73.5 gns (Cut in Half)
ND William III 131.9 gns
ND William III 125.7 gns
ND William III 145.4 gns
ND William III 110.5 gns(counterfeit?)

Don
 
Upvote 0
I have to pick up a scale. Even though this coin is totally smooth with no marks, I still love it. If It is a King Williams III halfpenny, i would love it that much more. Does anyone know the dates of the Williams III coins were minted?
Thanks for the info Don, could you post an image of one of your worn King Williams? :icon_thumleft:
G
 
Upvote 0
1695-1701 for the Wm III Halfpenny. Here is the one I dug last year before and after cleaning.
2008_0522Image0002s.webp
P5230005.JPG
 
Upvote 0
Thank you Neil.
 
Upvote 0
Here are some of my file photos of some of my William IIIs.
 

Attachments

  • WILLIAM COINS.webp
    WILLIAM COINS.webp
    27.4 KB · Views: 276
  • William examples.webp
    William examples.webp
    84.4 KB · Views: 271
  • WILLIAM III.webp
    WILLIAM III.webp
    69.5 KB · Views: 267
  • WILLIAM III.webp
    WILLIAM III.webp
    69.5 KB · Views: 271
  • William examples.webp
    William examples.webp
    84.4 KB · Views: 274
  • WILLIAM COINS.webp
    WILLIAM COINS.webp
    27.4 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 0
Don in SJ said:
Here are some of my file photos of some of my William IIIs.


You should set your detector up a few grades. :D

I only have two I can ID as William III and both just sit in the pile mixed in with the crustys.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:
Here are some of my file photos of some of my William IIIs.


You should set your detector up a few grades. :D

I only have two I can ID as William III and both just sit in the pile mixed in with the crustys.

Since the vast majority of sites that are hunted date Rev War or later (into the early 1800's) the poor ole William coppers have been circulating for a long time and thus by far the vast majority found are almost entirely worn out. But as I have said on other posts, for the most part, the wear pattern on the coin is pretty standard. The Reverse will wear smooth first and the Obverse right side wears down and usually the last vestigage of ID left are the ribbons and or a faint outline of the back side of the bust. :wink:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom