Coins, badges and buckles

Foiled Again

Oct 30, 2006
Thunder Bay Ontario
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Explorer SE Pro
Hello fellow diggers:

Posting some more stuff I found while enjoying the great outdoors.
First is my silver coins for this year. I didn't find much this year. The bottom row of coins is only 50% silver. I am assuming they are as they don't stick to a magnet like other coins of the same year and denomination. Included an old American nickle.

silcoinhead.JPG

silcointail.JPG

Then there were a few old Canadian pennies as well. Two of them are 1936, unfortunately without the dot.

canpen08head.JPG

canpen08tail.JPG

Next is a brass badge or buckle I found near a railroad station. I could not find any information on the company after a long search. Maybe some of the experts on here can ID it.

brassbdg08f.JPG

Here is the back of it, badly crusted and the pin broken off.

brassbdg08b.JPG

Here is a picture of something I think was made out of a penny. The back is smooth, no writing.

penbadge08.JPG

Also including this old buckle. At least it looks old. It seems to be made out of copper but I haven't really tried to clean it. Some blue material in the middle of it also. No idea what it is. No markings on it anywhere.

buckle08f.JPG

buckle08bk.JPG

Last picture is of some wheats I found. The oldest is a 1935, the rest are from the 40's and 50's. We are close to the border so I find plenty of wheats and memorials. The wheats are deep. The 35 was over 5 inches down.

wheats08.JPG

Oops. Way too big. Oh well, guess you can get a better look at them this way. ::)

Happy hunting

Foiled Again

Eddie Lomax

May 10, 2008
Central South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Machines- Metal Detecting, Privy Digging, Arrowheads, Prospecting, Catfishing, Harley Riding
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. That Ontario Science Center piece is known as an elongated cent. Our zoo has one of those machines. You deposit a penny and a quarter and turn the crank. It does that to the penny and keeps the quarter. Probably more than a quarter now.

S

seger98

real nce finds, really like the belt buckle. Find much fur trade stuff up that way?

Chris

OP
OP
Foiled Again

Foiled Again

Oct 30, 2006
Thunder Bay Ontario
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Explorer SE Pro
Hey seger98:

The only thing I have found that might be from the fur trade are these things in the pic. An identical button was dug by an archaeologist at a Northwest Fur Company trading post on Big Sandy Lake in central-eastern Minnesota. They are exactly alike in every respect so I am pretty confident it is genuine. It would have to be from the late Fur Trade Era. I think they call that the American Era (1816-1850). Of course it could have been dropped there years later, who knows.
In the early days of the Fur Trade there was a fort and trading post in this city. Unfortunately the site is owned by the Canadian National Railway and is under a lot of train tracks. I may try to detect around the fringes of the site to see what I can find but most of the area has been buried under a lot of fill.
The other thing in the picture looks a lot like some of the trade items I see on the Web. Most of the ones on the Internet have a hole drilled in them rather than a loop soldered on. Somebody on here may know how to tell if it is a relic or not.

button1.JPG

Good talking to all of you

Foiled Again

Sorry man, I think you got foiled again! The Locomotive overall snap is not fur trade in anyway. It dates to the late 1800's to the early 1900's. The fact that it was found at a North West Co. post means nothing since the NWC ceased to exist by 1821 when it amalgamated with the HBC. The pendant has a more modern claw bale cap (eye) which I would say is not fur trade related either. Sorry no dice! I like your finds though, but I can't help you on the waiter/chauffeur badge. Hope you find a 1921 small nickel this year!
Dave.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've yet to dig any Canadian silver, ever. Good stuff!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread