What's new

Colonial Big Silver.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
Joined
May 1, 2010
Messages
1,183
Reaction score
1,355
Golden Thread
3
Location
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a combination of a bunch of hunts. This is just some of the finds. The big cut 1784, 8 reale was from yesterdays hunt on a new 50 acre field. A 1740s 1/2 reale was also found with lots of smalls. The little figurine was a surprise, when I cleaned the dirt off and realized that the end was near, I had a great laugh. This little novelty had to of created lots of giggles. The story as to how I received permission to hunt the 50 acres was pure luck. I was hunting with SouthJerseyJim in the fields I found three years ago. Since the deep turning of the fields many buttons and Jim's first gold coin was found. Jim was leaving early that day and we headed for the trucks. After saying are goodbys Jim pulled away and I was staying for a few more hours of hunting. I replenished my water and closed my truck door. That is when I realized I just locked myself out. After cursing out loud at myself I called Jim up and he returned with a hanger and after a little work the door was opened and he was on his way. I started for the top of the field and was about a 150 yards away from my truck when I noticed a police car pulled behind my truck. I turned off my detector and started walking back to the truck. Half way there another police car pulls up behind my truck. Right about then I was like oh crap is my truck illegally parked. When I got closer I noticed the one officer had a jimmy in his hand to open my truck. I thanked them and informed them that we had opened the door. That is when all the questions started and after showing them different styles of buttons and watch winders they were very intrigued, I figured what the heck and asked if they knew of any properties that I could possibly hunt. The officer said he had fifty acres and a neighbor with 40 acres that I could hunt. Then he went on and gave me the number and name of another farmer with 300 acres. It just so happens there were 6 homesteads in the early 1800s and most likely earlier, 1720s and up on those empty fields. I purchased two pints of shucked oysters for both farmers. I met the officer at his farm early in the morning and it was a beautiful farm. I do have to say he turned out to be the nicest family farmer guy. I will be heading back after the weekend. Still waiting for my first colonial gold.
 

Attachments

  • all.webp
    all.webp
    50.9 KB · Views: 298
  • top.webp
    top.webp
    68.3 KB · Views: 290
  • middle.webp
    middle.webp
    90.5 KB · Views: 310
  • bottom.webp
    bottom.webp
    69.7 KB · Views: 330
  • 8 1.webp
    8 1.webp
    37.3 KB · Views: 279
  • 8 2.webp
    8 2.webp
    33.2 KB · Views: 261
  • the end.webp
    the end.webp
    22.5 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
Upvote 58
If I could redirect some of the heat coming off some those coils making the good finds lately....there's hope for us!


Monday night I'll be able to show everyone what a cold coil produces! ....that's if I even get out of the frozen stage and into the finds zone.
 
Can I be your hunting buddy?! :laughing7:

Congrats on all your finds and hunts...looking forward to your hunts this summer.
 
Nice one man im still waiting for my first 8..:headbang:

~Blaze~
 
Fantastic hunt(s)! Congratulations on the very interesting relics. Thank you for sharing.
 
This is a combination of a bunch of hunts. This is just some of the finds. The big cut 1784, 8 reale was from yesterdays hunt on a new 50 acre field. A 1740s 1/2 reale was also found with lots of smalls. The little figurine was a surprise, when I cleaned the dirt off and realized that the end was near, I had a great laugh. This little novelty had to of created lots of giggles. The story as to how I received permission to hunt the 50 acres was pure luck. I was hunting with SouthJerseyJim in the fields I found three years ago. Since the deep turning of the fields many buttons and Jim's first gold coin was found. Jim was leaving early that day and we headed for the trucks. After saying are goodbys Jim pulled away and I was staying for a few more hours of hunting. I replenished my water and closed my truck door. That is when I realized I just locked myself out. After cursing out loud at myself I called Jim up and he returned with a hanger and after a little work the door was opened and he was on his way. I started for the top of the field and was about a 150 yards away from my truck when I noticed a police car pulled behind my truck. I turned off my detector and started walking back to the truck. Half way there another police car pulls up behind my truck. Right about then I was like oh crap is my truck illegally parked. When I got closer I noticed the one officer had a jimmy in his hand to open my truck. I thanked them and informed them that we had opened the door. That is when all the questions started and after showing them different styles of buttons and watch winders they were very intrigued, I figured what the heck and asked if they knew of any properties that I could possibly hunt. The officer said he had fifty acres and a neighbor with 40 acres that I could hunt. Then he went on and gave me the number and name of another farmer with 300 acres. It just so happens there were 6 homesteads in the early 1800s and most likely earlier, 1720s and up on those empty fields. I purchased two pints of shucked oysters for both farmers. I arrived at the farm and met the officer at his farm. I do have to say he turned out to be the nicest family farmer guy. I will be heading back after the weekend. Still waiting for my first colonial gold.

Your in a good area I think. That colonial gold will come when you least expect it. I would love to find some cut silver like that.
 
Killer pile of early relics and coins. Excellent recoveries
 
Wow, now that's a plate full of finds to drool over! Love the silvers and the masonic suspender buckle from the 1830s. Is the square piece in the 10 o'clock position over the mercury dimes made of silver?

-Buck
 
Great assortment of finds on the plate, liking many different pieces. Congrats on the big silver and the small ones as well. Good luck on the new permissions, hope they produce some great finds for you.
 
Dang bud.. That's a pile.. Congrats on the cut reale!
 
Man what a pile of relics and coins! Love it when a site produces like that, plus you know there's gotta be more no matter how many times you've hunted it. Good luck next time out.
 
Thank you everyone for your very nice comments. I have had a wonderful short season this year. I will keep hunting until the heat and bugs drive me to the breezy beaches at night, very fortunate to have a giant sandbox blocks away for the hot summer months. Wanted to post a few more pics of a few items. The 1 1/2 inch square low silver content block depicts a lion with mountains in the background, self explanatory. It has roman numerals cut into the back as does one of the silver buckle pieces. Missing are a 1776 1 reale, and a beautiful 1838 seated half dime. Hopefully something good turns up and I will see you here.
 

Attachments

  • 20140513_122128-crop.webp
    20140513_122128-crop.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 20140514_091705-crop.webp
    20140514_091705-crop.webp
    46.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 20140520_140040-crop.webp
    20140520_140040-crop.webp
    382.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 20140522_113939-crop.webp
    20140522_113939-crop.webp
    587.6 KB · Views: 105
  • cats-crop.webp
    cats-crop.webp
    65.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Odd Fellows Cap Badge-horz.webp
    Odd Fellows Cap Badge-horz.webp
    76.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Porcelain Novelty.webp
    Porcelain Novelty.webp
    12.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 20150502_112153-crop.webp
    20150502_112153-crop.webp
    135.5 KB · Views: 102
  • My Project.webp
    My Project.webp
    60.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Dig like there is no tomorrow ,wait looks like a helluva lot of digging already.nice assortment,vanzutphen
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom