Colonial coin sells for $430,000

This is why I will never give up MD hell even if I never find anything like that and I wish I do but if not I will still be happy just knowing I can get every morning to MD for at least an Hr or two....:laughing7:

That's good news in two ways.

One, you never know when one of us will hit it big like that. (More likely somewhere outside of Canada. lol.)

Two, despite the "Recession", some still have a lot of disposable income as that coin realized 4 times the estimated price.

Now someone go out there and find one of those puppies!:headbang:

Cheers,
Dave.

One, you never know when one of us will hit it big like that. (More likely somewhere outside of Canada. lol.)

Two, despite the "Recession", some still have a lot of disposable income as that coin realized 4 times the estimated price.

Cheers,
Dave.

I certainly wouldn't rule out Canada! Are you familiar with Alex Storm?

The Feversham, along with three supply ships had been sent to New York to pick up supplies for an invasion fleet that was sailing from Boston to Quebec. While in New York City it was recorded on September 4, 1711, that the Feversham was given £569 12s5d from the British treasury office in New York. It is not known if these funds were to be used to pay for the supplies recently acquired or if this was money to be brought to Quebec for future use. In either event it represented the coins then in circulation in New York City. On September 17, 1711 the Feversham along with the three supply ships set sail for Quebec. In the meantine, the British invasion fleet had been wrecked on August 14, 1711 in the St. Lawrence River, but news of the disaster did not reach New York until the day after the Feversham set sail. On Sunday October 7, 1711, during their journey north, the Feversham and the three supply ships sank on the rocks off the shore of Scatari Island near the coast of Nova Scotia. In 1984 the Feversham was found by a private group that conducted salvage operations over the next few years. Among the items found on board were £33 13s in coins, presumably a portion of the allocation that had been obtained in New York City. This hoard contained 8 English silver coins, 22 Dutch coins (Lion dollars), 5 coins from Spain, 504 New World Spanish coins (from one half to 8 reales coins) and 126 pieces of Massachusetts silver. According to the most recent listing by Bowers (who lists 126 items but states there were 131 coins!), the Massachuseetts silver consisted of: one NE shilling, being a Noe 3-C; four Willow Tree shillings, consisting of a Noe 1-A, 3-D, 3-E and one example too worn to classify; thirty five Oak Tree shillings; one Oak Tree sixpence; seventy five Pine Tree Shillings and one Pine Tree sixpence as well as nine cut pieces that had probably been used as small change, consisting of four half shilling pieces and five quarter shilling pieces. A portion of these coins were sold at a Christie's auction in February of 1989 while additional items were offered by the Canadian firm of Jeffrey Hoare Auctions, in February of 1993. From the Feversham find it appears that proportionally, Massachusetts silver was second only to Spanish American coinage in New York. Clearly the demand for the coinage was far greater than the General Court had anticipated!

Massachusetts Bay Silver General Introduction

Cheers,
Dave.

You got my curiosity going...appears to be some fantastically valuable Canadian coins out there....rare as hens teeth though.I think this auction happened back in 1996.
Feature Article

You got my curiosity going...appears to be some fantastically valuable Canadian coins out there....rare as hens teeth though.I think this auction happened back in 1996.
Feature Article

Canadian tokens too, and can be worth well into the thousands. Our detecting group, as well as our competition, have now found quite a list of them over the past 14 years or so. It's sort of unbelievable considering I never imagined even a single one turning up.

O.K. there's hope for Canada!
Now to break it down further......Eastern Canada!!!!
The best we could do in the West is maybe a 1921 nickle or some key date Vicky silver.
I live in fur trade country where money was useless!;D
I have found a lot of common Geo.III and other oldies but the thought of a valuable colonial coin is the same as dreaming about winning the lottery!
You never know.

Feature Article

Yeah, that's a fantastic collection, almost all of it never made it into circulation!

I'd be happy with finding something like your avatar gold coin.:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back