Colonial “plywood” detecting pays off with recovery of cob and 1652 merchant’s token

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday I returned to the new site where I’ve had a lot of success recently. I brought along my good friend Reid to hit the small 1600s spot that me and my buddies have pounded recently. But it still continues to produce if you have the patience to swing through the extremely tall and thick clover and pursue those deep, questionable signals. In an attempt to gain an advantage I decided to think outside the box a bit and try a technique that I’ve considered many times before, but just never got around to it. We got a half sheet of plywood, cut 2 small holes in one side, and attached a length of cord to it that extended out about 2-3 feet. The plywood would be placed over a patch of thick clover, and then pushed down with our feet to allow detecting much closer to the ground. Then by pulling on the cord the plywood could be quickly re-positioned and the process repeated. This turned out to be a very quick and effective way to handle the tall clover and cover ground quickly, and allowed many additional targets to be identified. Reid took a short 1 minute video of me demonstrating this technique which can be found at the link below.

https://youtu.be/75Slxi4yFZs

030217h.jpg

About halfway into the hunt Reid chased a very deep, iffy signal through the plywood and ended up recovering the first coin to come from this spot – a nice little Spanish cob. Near the end of the day I was able to dig a cool 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century merchant’s token with the initials “CL” and the date 1652 on the obverse, and “Bristoll” on the back. This is very similar to a 1670 token I dug this time last year on an adjoining property, and I’m really curious as to how these made it over to Virginia and what purpose they would have served here.

030217e.jpg 030217f.jpg 030217g.jpg

030217i.jpg 030217j.jpg

Some of my other finds included a few 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century leather ornaments including the stylized arrow, tudor rose, and high dome styles. I also found a very large bore clay pipe stem, and a few misc lead and small brass items. Reid also found some buttons and a few 1600s buckle fragments along with other period items. Right before leaving while Reid was investigating a deep iron signal, he stumbled across a trash pit although it seems to be more 18[SUP]th[/SUP] century based on some pottery and a button that were found. It had a nice use layer and was also loaded with huge bricks of various shapes and sizes, and extended down at least 2 feet. It also appeared to continue horizontally but it was getting late and we had to fill it in, but we plan to go back one day next week and finish the job. All-in-all it was a fun day as both of us were able to bring home a real nice keeper.

030217a.jpg

030217b.jpg 030217c.jpg 030217d.jpg

030217k.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 45

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
That's a great idea Bill. I've never tried that myself but I do know a couple of guys that have and had some success with that method. What a great little spot that you have found!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Glad the technique worked out. You did well for how hard that site has been hit. Token is an excellent find and likely the only 2 that made the crossing. Good hunt.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great video on the plywood technique. I might be trying that out this summer. I really like that token and its in fantastic shape. Congrats to Reid on the cob too. That pit use layer has me drooling....

Cant wait for the next post.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool token Bill. Congrats to Reid on the cob. I like your plywood trick.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds, Bill. Love your plywood technique - Very creative! Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! No history like that here - :(

I've seen where folks drilled a bunch of small holes in the sheet to stick a skewer through as a marker -

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea to use plywood!Certainly paid off! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
17th Century Farthing Token, Bristol - UK Finds Database -
Ship issuing from Castle - Cool Find, but a pretty common type. (Only in token terms, not in terms of where it was found!)

Appreciate the ID Cru. Initially I thought it was identical to the 1670 Bristol token I found nearby last year, but I believed I was seeing a "CL" and not "CB". And I later saw the 1652 date so I knew it was different. It's cool both came from the same place, but I still can't figure out how they came to be lost here in eastern Virginia.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome relic hunt! :notworthy:

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pays to think out of the box, go slow and dig some trash. You were rewarded accordingly. When I go to old parks after an initial scan over the easy spots I usually head to the hard spots to detect. Most people ignore them. After a park has been hunted for years the only way to get the good stuff is go really slow, dig some trash and hunt the hard parts. Pulled over 200 Indians and 7 seated dimes last year out of one of these hunted out parks. Would have never thought of the plywood. Great idea. Also forces you to go slow over each spot. Nice going! You deserve the great finds.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I love the plywood trick, great idea! And I'll bet you're actually covering that area far more thoroughly as a result.

And, once again your "Hobby" area became more congested! You need a museum.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate the ID Cru. Initially I thought it was identical to the 1670 Bristol token I found nearby last year, but I believed I was seeing a "CL" and not "CB". And I later saw the 1652 date so I knew it was different. It's cool both came from the same place, but I still can't figure out how they came to be lost here in eastern Virginia.
Out of all the 17th C Tokens found in the US that I have seen (small handfall) this makes the most sense because its from a major PORT.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This reminds me of something humorous. I had a friend (passed away now) who was a handyman. Him and his neighbor used to play practical jokes on each other. One winter he took a 4X8 sheet of plywood and cut the image of a hammer out of the center of the plywood. He then went to his neighbor's yard when the neighbor was gone and proceeded to seed winter rye into the silhouette and did this several times all over the yard. He said his neighbor had green hammers popping up all over his yard, and it didn't take him long to figure out who did it. :laughing7:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill slow down....I can't keep up with all of your killer hunts. Wow you have quickly hit your stride. I thought you were a marathoner not a sprinter! Keep em coming buddy. Second best thing to finding killer early stuff is watching my buddies dig em up.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds ( as usual). The token is very cool. I love your "plywood detecting" technique. What a great solution to that particular hunting dilemma. Kudos!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!