Colonial “plywood” detecting pays off with recovery of cob and 1652 merchant’s token

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday I returned to the new site where I’ve had a lot of success recently. I brought along my good friend Reid to hit the small 1600s spot that me and my buddies have pounded recently. But it still continues to produce if you have the patience to swing through the extremely tall and thick clover and pursue those deep, questionable signals. In an attempt to gain an advantage I decided to think outside the box a bit and try a technique that I’ve considered many times before, but just never got around to it. We got a half sheet of plywood, cut 2 small holes in one side, and attached a length of cord to it that extended out about 2-3 feet. The plywood would be placed over a patch of thick clover, and then pushed down with our feet to allow detecting much closer to the ground. Then by pulling on the cord the plywood could be quickly re-positioned and the process repeated. This turned out to be a very quick and effective way to handle the tall clover and cover ground quickly, and allowed many additional targets to be identified. Reid took a short 1 minute video of me demonstrating this technique which can be found at the link below.

https://youtu.be/75Slxi4yFZs

030217h.jpg

About halfway into the hunt Reid chased a very deep, iffy signal through the plywood and ended up recovering the first coin to come from this spot – a nice little Spanish cob. Near the end of the day I was able to dig a cool 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century merchant’s token with the initials “CL” and the date 1652 on the obverse, and “Bristoll” on the back. This is very similar to a 1670 token I dug this time last year on an adjoining property, and I’m really curious as to how these made it over to Virginia and what purpose they would have served here.

030217e.jpg 030217f.jpg 030217g.jpg

030217i.jpg 030217j.jpg

Some of my other finds included a few 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century leather ornaments including the stylized arrow, tudor rose, and high dome styles. I also found a very large bore clay pipe stem, and a few misc lead and small brass items. Reid also found some buttons and a few 1600s buckle fragments along with other period items. Right before leaving while Reid was investigating a deep iron signal, he stumbled across a trash pit although it seems to be more 18[SUP]th[/SUP] century based on some pottery and a button that were found. It had a nice use layer and was also loaded with huge bricks of various shapes and sizes, and extended down at least 2 feet. It also appeared to continue horizontally but it was getting late and we had to fill it in, but we plan to go back one day next week and finish the job. All-in-all it was a fun day as both of us were able to bring home a real nice keeper.

030217a.jpg

030217b.jpg 030217c.jpg 030217d.jpg

030217k.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 45

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great way of adapting to the conditions. I look forward to seeing what comes out of that deep layer of material.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great idea. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the finds!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE FINDS BILL....

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Colonial “plywood” detecting pays off with recovery of cob and 1652 merchant’...

Wow Bill. I know I replied to this one but it looks like it didn't take. The reply was all about how you're killing it, and how if I stepped on the plywood it would be much closer to the ground than you. Lol.

Keep it up bud. I know you said everything is growing in early so way to maximize your time. Nice COB and token too!

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was a great idea worked like a champ, I was impressed never even though about trying this. Here are some better cob pictures any body have an ID? 20170303_155700.jpg 20170303_155714.jpg

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea to get in there and get closer to the ground. Congrats on the excellent payoff!

Cheers,

Buck

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bill, I am going thru some of your old posts to catch up and spotted this. Thats a great idea. Great finds too.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill, I am going thru some of your old posts to catch up and spotted this. Thats a great idea. Great finds too.

Thanks Gary. Unfortunately, you won't find many posts from me for the last season due to a number of reasons including difficult field access, sites that didn't produce, weather, some strange health issues (now mostly resolved), and a death in the family. Plus I've been still working hard on the book. I was due for an off-year, but hope things will finally get back to normal starting in the fall. Good luck with your digging exploits .....

UNERTHEN

Sep 22, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics gamma 6000 with 8", nel sharp, nel sharpshooter. Garrett Ace350 with 8x11 and 4.5 sniper. Garrett at propointer, garrett zlynk
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds and genius technique of getting depth in tall vegetation. I gotta make me a metal detecting boogie board for surfing the turf. Dig on!!!!:occasion14:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We our certainly going to try out your new trick......the weeks out our way have started to get bad already!! Love the old token!!!!:icon_thumright:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That is a brilliant idea...I think I'm going to have to try that! Looks like it paid off with some great finds.

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just saw this thread and your title thread only fits on the page up to "1652". I couldn't see the rest so I thought you had MA silver lol. Great finds Bill. I would love to find a cob. Rare up here in NE - at least that's the excuse I give myself...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread