Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool Shield,Couple Injun's and another "Just My Luck" copper disc

The alarm went off at 3:45 this morning,met Ty at the 1700's house,we waited around 10 min.'s for some decent light and we were digging by 5:15.No more than 20 min.'s into and we both had a copper apiece.At least I thought I did....This thing has absolutely no detail....Notta!!! It's 1.7mm thick and 28.4mm round....Out of all my copper's this one has to be the worst,and guess what,I can't read a date on any stinking one of em'.So this is my Just My Luck copper :-\
P7040031.JPG

The Injun's were more on the "cooperative" side.....I found my first and only(1864 FATTY) last weekend,today I was fortunate to take 2 home with me ,an 1861 (FATTY) and a 1865 that's in beautiful shape....That kinda made my day right there!!
P7040012.JPG

P7040019.JPG

P7040035.JPG

P7040034.JPG

Also picked a piece of "dish" out of one my hole's,John Maddock & Son's (England) ca. 1896,pretty cool to be able to date it.
P7040028.JPG

More Pic's.....Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Re: Cool Shield,Couple Injun's and another "Just My Luck" copper disc

More Pic.'s.......

I alway's did like these...piece's or whole pewter eating utensil's....found right by the original house....
P7040024.JPG

Last but not least is this "shield/badge" If anyone can give me some information on this it would be Greatly appreciated,the number 2 on it tell's me 1700's....I couldn't even attempt to "google" it because I have no idea what I would be looking for. ;D Best 4th that I can remember in a long time.....Thank's for any input on the shield.....HH!!
P7040014.JPG

P7040020.JPG

Civil, that '65 Injun is beautiful!! Very nice find, considering you have been finding coppers that you can barely read. Thanks for showing how much more "fatter" the '61 is. I've never found a fatty before. Does it give a different VDI/tone than the non-fatties do?

That shield is very interesting. The Old American slang phrase "23 Skidoo". Never saw anyone find a badge with that phrase before.

Happy 4th to you!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

MAN OH MAN!!!
You and those injuns were killing me!
You forgot to mention that you are finding
most of your coins under the "tree of life"!!
Here's a photo of you doing what you do.

Attachments

• IMG_3879.jpg
    IMG_3879.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 819

S. C. CATFISH said:
23 skidoo (sometimes 23 skiddoo) is an American slang phrase popularized in the early twentieth century, first appearing before World War I and becoming popular in the Roaring Twenties. It generally refers to leaving quickly, being forced to leave quickly by someone else or taking advantage of a propitious opportunity to leave, that is, "getting [out] while the getting's good."

23 skidoo has been described as "perhaps the first truly national fad expression and one of the most popular fad expressions to appear in the U.S," to the extent that "Pennants and arm-bands at shore resorts, parks, and county fairs bore either [23] or the word 'Skiddoo.'"[1]

The exact origin of the phrase is uncertain.
That never crossed my mind Catfish.....The "d" looked like another "o" to me ......make's all the sense in the world now,Thank You very Much!!! Happy 4th to ya!!! :thumbsup:

Captn_SE said:
Civil, that '65 Injun is beautiful!! Very nice find, considering you have been finding coppers that you can barely read. Thanks for showing how much more "fatter" the '61 is. I've never found a fatty before. Does it give a different VDI/tone than the non-fatties do?

That shield is very interesting. The Old American slang phrase "23 Skidoo". Never saw anyone find a badge with that phrase before.

Happy 4th to you!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
Thank's Dan.....The VDI stay's pretty much the same,the MXT read's right around the penny mark at 65+/-.....23 Skidoo never hit me :icon_scratch: Thank's Again...

Looks like a c. 1920's - early 30's "23 Skidoo" novelty badge, similar to these in a late 20's Johnson Smith & Co. catalog.

As Catfish has posted, "23 Skiddoo!" was a slang phrase meaning something like, "Let's go!" or "Get the heck out of here!"

Note that most of these are "23" badges, attesting the popularity of the phrase at that time.

badges.jpg

Cool Breeze PBK....Love the pic's of the other's too....Happy 4th of July !!!!!!

That '65 Indian is smokin'! Nice looking finds.

Steve

Great stuff Joe. Love the indians. Sorry your copper is featureless. I'm sure there are many more good ones to find there. Hey, what is the jelly-goo substance you guys are putting on your finds to clean them? Is that royal jelly? BTW, I ended up not going out of town this weekend so if you wanna hunt Saturday or Sunday gimme a ring.

That's a beautiful 1865, congrats on the Fattie, and your 23 Skidoo badge has got to be pretty rare, too!

bearbqd said:
Great stuff Joe. Love the indians. Sorry your copper is featureless. I'm sure there are many more good ones to find there. Hey, what is the jelly-goo substance you guys are putting on your finds to clean them? Is that royal jelly? BTW, I ended up not going out of town this weekend so if you wanna hunt Saturday or Sunday gimme a ring.
Actually Barry they were cleaned with the creek water.....Sometime's have to use the Peroxide method but these are pretty much out of the "box find's".....I'll give you a call later !!!

Civil,
Super finds again!!! That 65' IH is a BEAUTY!!! Wonderful green patina. :thumbsup: Another great hunt guys.
As far as:
"Also picked a piece of "dish" out of one my hole's,John Maddock & Son's (England) ca. 1896,pretty cool to be able to date it."

I've never dated a dish before, but I did date a girl with DD cups. Does that count? ??? ;D :wink:

Can't wait to see what you guys score next! :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Well you had a super day, a great mixture of finds in both what they are and time frame, a time capsule place for sure. The badge is neat and glad an ID was given so quickly. Nice going on the fattie and hope the blank weighs in the 130 range or higher and keep looking to see if any feature at all can be seen.

Don

Holy cow brother...that green injun's a BLAZER :thumbsup:

Way to go. Nice finds. I like the IH pennies.
Dman

ModernMiner said:
Civil,
Super finds again!!! That 65' IH is a BEAUTY!!! Wonderful green patina. :thumbsup: Another great hunt guys.
As far as:
"Also picked a piece of "dish" out of one my hole's,John Maddock & Son's (England) ca. 1896,pretty cool to be able to date it."

I've never dated a dish before, but I did date a girl with DD cups. Does that count? ??? ;D :wink:

Can't wait to see what you guys score next! :thumbsup:
-Doug-
I had that one coming Doug ;D......DD.....Does she have a Sister ;D You can almost see eyelashe's on this puppy....came right out of thr ground looking all green...Thank's Man!!!

silverfreak said:
Holy cow brother...that green injun's a BLAZER :thumbsup:
I was telling Ty it almost looked fake,too clean but that's the way it came out.....At different angles it's not what the pic is to be honest,any other angle it's just as good :thumbsup: Thank's Bryce......

That 1865 looks great. I love that even green patination. I rarely get it in ploughed fields!

Great finds, especially that 23 skidoo badge. Seeing that Johnson Smith catalog posted by PBK was informative as well. Keep hunting and a Happy Fourth!
Carl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back