What's new

Could this be a "real" Rolex?

DirtyMike

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
898
Reaction score
106
Golden Thread
1
Location
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could this be a "real" Rolex?

Any ideas? :help:
 

Attachments

  • what are they relics 175.webp
    what are they relics 175.webp
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,283
  • what are they relics 179.webp
    what are they relics 179.webp
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,096
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

Spooky said:
DirtyMike said:
Sniffer said:
I'm hoping the same myself

Then again if it is real, I can sell it and afford to go somewhere warn now. :thumbsup:

It looks pretty good, honestly...

I hope so.....
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

It is quite heavy.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

DirtyMike said:
Sniffer said:
I'm hoping the same myself

Then again if it is real, I can sell it and afford to go somewhere warn now. :thumbsup:


...and take a few T-net friends with you. :wink: :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

Spooky said:
DirtyMike said:
Spooky said:
DirtyMike said:
Sniffer said:
I'm hoping the same myself

Then again if it is real, I can sell it and afford to go somewhere warn now. :thumbsup:

It looks pretty good, honestly...

I hope so.....

The 'cyclops' window is the first thing to look for, and it looks good, also, does it seem VERY heavy?
(NOT an expert, but I have one)


The Asians stepped up some of their fakes so the bad news is you can only a confirm a bad fake by the obvious signs, the good ones take much more scrutinizing. On the positive side a good fake can be worth a few hundred bucks. Better than nothing! (well to most of us, some hate fakes enough to probably throw it back)

PS... Just seen the lack of serial and model number on your watch isn't a deal breaker. I watched the video and probably the easiest way to tell is probably the gold plating worn away. The dude says a plated Rolex is pretty uncommon, they're almost always solid gold.

 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

C'mon DirtyMike, spill the beans and tell us how you came on to owning this?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

According to the videos, it looks good so far. The third video says to remove the bracelet near the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions to see the serial number.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

Well, I see lots of "they never do this - except" in all the posts.

Take it to a jeweler - reputable - or better yet, one who does professional appraisals. And, if they offer to buy it - even cheaply - "watch" out (pun intended).

Don't depend on anyone here.

Beth
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

mrs.oroblanco said:
Well, I see lots of "they never do this - except" in all the posts.

Take it to a jeweler - reputable - or better yet, one who does professional appraisals. And, if they offer to buy it - even cheaply - "watch" out (pun intended).

Don't depend on anyone here.

Beth

I already told him he needs a Rolex dealer, or post it on a Rolex forum. Many regular jewelers would probably be fooled by a very good fake if they don't real in Rolex.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

From what I can see the position of the Date bubble looks out of position. It raises a flag for me. The window for the Day of Week also looks out of position. Good luck. I hope it is real for you.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

Real Rolex second hand 'sweeps' rather than "ticks". Also Rolex logo shoud be on authentic band.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

Iron Patch,

I agree with you.

No expert worth their salt will give you an appraisal - or even a definite opinion, from a picture on-line.

They can offer an opinion, but it will always come with a caveat.

That's one of the reasons we all love professional graded coins - an expert looked at it, touched it, graded it, etc.

B
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

Come on folks! This is simple. Its a fake. I promise you.

The only thing you need to see are the edges where the gold plating has worn off. ANY ROLEX WITH DIAMOND FACE AND BEZEL WILL NEVER BE GOLD PLATED! I don't care if it weighs fifty pounds and the second hand sweeps like a real one. It is a fake. I l have owned more than a couple. Some good fakes have a Swiss Movement that is almost as good as the real thing. Some fakes have a real sapphire crystal.

I will say it one last time: NO REAL Rolex with a diamond face and bezel will EVER be gold plated.

Best-Mike
 

Attachments

  • what are they relics 179.webp
    what are they relics 179.webp
    43.4 KB · Views: 457
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

mrs.oroblanco said:
Iron Patch,

I agree with you.

No expert worth their salt will give you an appraisal - or even a definite opinion, from a picture on-line.

They can offer an opinion, but it will always come with a caveat.

That's one of the reasons we all love professional graded coins - an expert looked at it, touched it, graded it, etc.

B


No, actually it's very easy.... you post good pictures on a Rolex forum and you're done. Trust me, I like watches and am a member of 4 watch forums. The people there buy and own watches in the tens of thousands, and some in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, so they know what they're talking about. Mind you you won't get much of a reply posting a fake watch, but if someone is in a good mood they'll tell you several things that are wrong right off the top. So it is very easy, and I see fakes ID'ed EVERY DAY.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

gollum said:
Some good fakes have a Swiss Movement that is almost as good as the real thing. Some fakes have a real sapphire crystal.


Exactly. But when these posts come up most people still think all the fakes are the total junk from 10 or 15 years ago, and that is not the case. A good fake is actually a fairly good watch, but only worth in the hundreds and not in the thousands.

I'd rather a Breitling over a Rolex any day! 8)
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

Mike, Ironpatch,

You may be right - but then again - just how good do you know the picture is? (near someone's "circle" I see an engraving).

Actually, what ticks me off around here, is that there are alot of folks around here who just cannot wait to denounce anything someone else has found. Why do you think that is?

I could take a picture of that watch that wouldn't have a shadow of anything but gold. Then again, I could take a picture of any certified rolex and make it look like a fake. It all depends on the camera (and NOT by even a good photoshoping-just a photo and a regular scan).

Me, personally - I don't know a Rolex from a Roll-on, but, I do know, if it was important to me, (like a meteorite I found that every one said was not one, and a 96th Regiment of foot buckle that the experts on Tnet thought was a cow-tag and has since been certified by the British Museum), I would show an expert. Here's an interesting thing - the metorite AND the buckle - all had to be personally seen by the experts - even after we showed them some really good pictures. Why do you think that is????????????/

Beth
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

good video Iron Patch
if you use a paper clip round off the end carefully......burrrrrr!
and good luck on that warm up trip
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

Spooky said:
One of the easiest ways to spot a counterfeit Rolex is by its clear display, or caseback, allowing you to see the inner workings of the watch. The real McCoy does not have such a feature, with the exception of some vintage 1930s exhibition models that were never mass-produced.

Just as Rolex never manufactured clear casebacks, it did not engrave them either. Genuine models will have a smooth caseback, whilst fakes might feature engraved logos and other designs. The rare exceptions are the pre-1990s ladies' models, which had "Original Rolex Design" or a similar variation thereof, engraved on the caseback. Another exception is the Sea-Dweller display that has "Rolex Oyster Original Gas Escape Valve" engraved around the outside of the caseback.

A real Rolex has a 3D hologram encoded sticker on the caseback. For models produced after 2002, a Rolex crown can be viewed on the sticker, and it changes patterns when you see it from different angles. A replica usually has a repetitious Rolex pattern printed on it, but does not change when viewed from other angles.

Keep in mind too that Rolex has introduced a tiny crown logo etched onto the crystal at the area around the six o'clock direction after 2002, so it should not be present in earlier models. But remember that this feature may not be applicable to all Rolex watches.

Another tidbit to retain is that the crystal in authentic current date display models (with the exception of the Sea-Dweller) will have a Cyclops lens attached to the crystal, magnifying the tiny aperture 2.5 times. Fake Rolex watches, however, will offer only 1.5 magnification, though some "better" replicas now feature a larger font date to give an illusion of a bigger magnification.


Yours LOOKS to be real...
Very knowledgeable, thank you.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

mrs.oroblanco said:
Mike, Ironpatch,

You may be right - but then again - just how good do you know the picture is? (near someone's "circle" I see an engraving).

Actually, what ticks me off around here, is that there are alot of folks around here who just cannot wait to denounce anything someone else has found. Why do you think that is?

I could take a picture of that watch that wouldn't have a shadow of anything but gold. Then again, I could take a picture of any certified rolex and make it look like a fake. It all depends on the camera (and NOT by even a good photoshoping-just a photo and a regular scan).

Me, personally - I don't know a Rolex from a Roll-on, but, I do know, if it was important to me, (like a meteorite I found that every one said was not one, and a 96th Regiment of foot buckle that the experts on Tnet thought was a cow-tag and has since been certified by the British Museum), I would show an expert. Here's an interesting thing - the metorite AND the buckle - all had to be personally seen by the experts - even after we showed them some really good pictures. Why do you think that is????????????/

Beth


I know I'm right about what I posted, but don't think I said 100% one way or the other whether it's real. If you watch the video, Rolex made very few gold plated watches, and considering that, plus how many fakes are around, and how few people lose $20,000 watches.... I think it's a fair guess to feel it's probably a fake.

As for making a real Rolex look fake.... no. You can prevent someone who knows these watches from giving you an absolute answer, but you can't make a real Rolex look fake. This thread would have been over a long time ago if the watch was shown to Rolex guys and not detecting guys.... you don't see the Rolex guys posting detecting finds for ID on the watch forums, and there's a reason for that. You go to the people who don't guess, but KNOW! Believe me if I thought I had a 10k watch find I would know within 2 hours exactly what I had. (and maybe that's more evidence the poster believes it's probably fake too) :-X
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

Beth,

I would have no problem telling anybody the good news that they had found a REAL Rolex worth tens of thousands of dollars, buuuuuuuuuuuut, in this case, I am sadly not able to do that.

Like I said before Rolex has NEVER made a gold plated watch with a diamond bezel and face. What I circled was where the gold finish was rubbed off revealing the silver metal underneath.

It is not real. Don't believe me, simply take it to a jeweler. I'm done.

Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

Take it to a jeweler - exactly.

By the way, in 1977 Rolex made a watch with a 2-tone "dated" gold plated case. (stainless underneath).

Also, in 1968 - Rolex reference number 1024.

Now, I'm done here.

B
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom