What's new

Could this be a "real" Rolex?

DirtyMike

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
898
Reaction score
106
Golden Thread
1
Location
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could this be a "real" Rolex?

Any ideas? :help:
 

Attachments

  • what are they relics 175.webp
    what are they relics 175.webp
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,283
  • what are they relics 179.webp
    what are they relics 179.webp
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,096
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

Rolex hasn't (to my knowledge) made a MODERN wristwatch in gold plate, and they have NEVER made a gold plated watch with a diamond face and bezel.

Why would you put five thousand dollars worth of diamonds on a five hundred dollar watch? Not a bit of sense from the makers point of view. The people who can afford to slather their watches in diamonds would not skimp on a gold plated case.

Fake

Best-Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

Mike,

The one particular one does not have the diamonds. And it still goes for over 2 grand. (used) Frankly, I wouldn't pay that much for any watch :dontknow:


Maybe made for the Canadian market? :dontknow:

I did notice that on the Rolex site, they did make different watches. That could explain alot.

http://www.yorktime.com/search?cid=6:sku=341

http://www.yorktime.com/search?cid=6:sku=404

There are several more that say gold-filled, at a few different sites (including one of Rolex's site, but I am thinking it is a "Made for Canada" thing.



B
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

Hey Beth,

Both of those are classic watches. Not modern. But still, I stick by my earlier statement Rolex never made a gold plated watch with a diamond bezel and face.

Rolex didn't always have the reputation they enjoy now. As late as the early 1980s, they made some lower model watches that were gold filled or plated. None of the modern Rolexes are "plated" or "filled". The modern Rolexes are Stainless, 14K, 18K, or Platinum.

The funny thing is, if you talk to most people with money, they look at Rolex as an entry level high end watch. They mostly laugh at Rolex. Here is a little something about watch snobs:

A REAL high end watch acquires that status from being hand made, number of complications (alarm, moon phase, tourbillon, chronometer, etc), number of moving parts (in addition to how thin it is), etc. Rolex, on the other hand, does have a good movement, but only acquires value based on its' composition (gold, platinum, diamonds, etc).

Here is one of the classic High-End Watches (A. Lange & Sohne):

http://www.alange-soehne.com/cms/en/timepieces/index.html

Best-Mike

Best-Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

If its a fake its a damn good one. I compared mine to a fake once and the only difference I could tell was the weight. Mine was much heavier.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

gollum said:
Hey Beth,

Both of those are classic watches. Not modern. But still, I stick by my earlier statement Rolex never made a gold plated watch with a diamond bezel and face.

Rolex didn't always have the reputation they enjoy now. As late as the early 1980s, they made some lower model watches that were gold filled or plated. None of the modern Rolexes are "plated" or "filled". The modern Rolexes are Stainless, 14K, 18K, or Platinum.

The funny thing is, if you talk to most people with money, they look at Rolex as an entry level high end watch. They mostly laugh at Rolex. Here is a little something about watch snobs:

A REAL high end watch acquires that status from being hand made, number of complications (alarm, moon phase, tourbillon, chronometer, etc), number of moving parts (in addition to how thin it is), etc. Rolex, on the other hand, does have a good movement, but only acquires value based on its' composition (gold, platinum, diamonds, etc).

Here is one of the classic High-End Watches (A. Lange & Sohne):

http://www.alange-soehne.com/cms/en/timepieces/index.html

Best-Mike

Best-Mike


You made me think of a post I seen a while back on a watch forum. A member couldn't decide whether to buy a new watch or a new corvette.... and several on the forum debated the issue with most leaning towards the watch. The fact it was a dead serious post with serious replies made me laugh even more.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

Iron Patch said:
gollum said:
Hey Beth,

Both of those are classic watches. Not modern. But still, I stick by my earlier statement Rolex never made a gold plated watch with a diamond bezel and face.

Rolex didn't always have the reputation they enjoy now. As late as the early 1980s, they made some lower model watches that were gold filled or plated. None of the modern Rolexes are "plated" or "filled". The modern Rolexes are Stainless, 14K, 18K, or Platinum.

The funny thing is, if you talk to most people with money, they look at Rolex as an entry level high end watch. They mostly laugh at Rolex. Here is a little something about watch snobs:

A REAL high end watch acquires that status from being hand made, number of complications (alarm, moon phase, tourbillon, chronometer, etc), number of moving parts (in addition to how thin it is), etc. Rolex, on the other hand, does have a good movement, but only acquires value based on its' composition (gold, platinum, diamonds, etc).

Here is one of the classic High-End Watches (A. Lange & Sohne):

http://www.alange-soehne.com/cms/en/timepieces/index.html

Best-Mike

Best-Mike


You made me think of a post I seen a while back on a watch forum. A member couldn't decide whether to buy a new watch or a new corvette.... and several on the forum debated the issue with most leaning towards the watch. The fact it was a dead serious post with serious replies made me laugh even more.

HAHAHA

I guess that would depend on the watch and the Corvette. I mean if it were something like a Patek Philippe Retrograde Perpetual vs. a regular $50K Vette, I might vote for the watch as well. Not as much fun, but wouldn't lose value like the Vette. If, on the other hand, you were talking about a '67 427/435 4spd Vette, I may have to vote for the Vette.

Best-Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

Mike,

That, is an interesting site. Like I said, I am NOT, nor will I ever be, a watch collector (including Rolex) just not my thing, though my one uncle had a Rolex (but he liked and wore, lots of gold and diamonds, too). :dontknow:

But, I also know that I'm talking about older watches, too - and there are definitely gold-plated real Rolex's. It may very well be that Rolex was not always what it is today - I don't think that changes the truth, however. But, now, after looking at many sites, that it may not have been made for our discriminating US buyers, but rather for Canada. Which still is no shabby thing. You noticed that the one I showed - the one for 2500 bucks, didn't even have a gold band - it was leather.

One thing - you don't want to confuse an 18K solid gold bezel, with a solid gold everything else. Rolex has watches, with diamonds (which I found a woman's Rolex with the diamonds) with 18K solid gold bezel, but gold plated case. (again, over stainless steel). I know you are going by the Five no-s, but the Rolex company does not say the same thing as the "experts" online. And they mention the replicas made in all the countries, except Canada, and The Rolex Corp does recognize an export market - to Canada.

Well, crap, I just finished reading the ENTIRE Rolex site. All Rolex watches are stainless steel - with a coating 20-26 mm coating of 18K gold - so none of them are really "solid gold". Geesh.

Beth
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

gollum said:
Iron Patch said:
gollum said:
Hey Beth,

Both of those are classic watches. Not modern. But still, I stick by my earlier statement Rolex never made a gold plated watch with a diamond bezel and face.

Rolex didn't always have the reputation they enjoy now. As late as the early 1980s, they made some lower model watches that were gold filled or plated. None of the modern Rolexes are "plated" or "filled". The modern Rolexes are Stainless, 14K, 18K, or Platinum.

The funny thing is, if you talk to most people with money, they look at Rolex as an entry level high end watch. They mostly laugh at Rolex. Here is a little something about watch snobs:

A REAL high end watch acquires that status from being hand made, number of complications (alarm, moon phase, tourbillon, chronometer, etc), number of moving parts (in addition to how thin it is), etc. Rolex, on the other hand, does have a good movement, but only acquires value based on its' composition (gold, platinum, diamonds, etc).

Here is one of the classic High-End Watches (A. Lange & Sohne):

http://www.alange-soehne.com/cms/en/timepieces/index.html

Best-Mike

Best-Mike


You made me think of a post I seen a while back on a watch forum. A member couldn't decide whether to buy a new watch or a new corvette.... and several on the forum debated the issue with most leaning towards the watch. The fact it was a dead serious post with serious replies made me laugh even more.

HAHAHA

I guess that would depend on the watch and the Corvette. I mean if it were something like a Patek Philippe Retrograde Perpetual vs. a regular $50K Vette, I might vote for the watch as well. Not as much fun, but wouldn't lose value like the Vette. If, on the other hand, you were talking about a '67 427/435 4spd Vette, I may have to vote for the Vette.

Best-Mike


Oh yeah, it was a Patek or another super high end. The thing is I'm sure the guy wasn't hurting for cars or watches.

Seen one fellow post his collection and if it wasn't worth a million dollars I'd be surprised. But I guess it's like high end coins or certain other collectibles that it doesn't take much to add up to big bucks.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

mrs.oroblanco said:
Mike,

That, is an interesting site. Like I said, I am NOT, nor will I ever be, a watch collector (including Rolex) just not my thing, though my one uncle had a Rolex (but he liked and wore, lots of gold and diamonds, too). :dontknow:

But, I also know that I'm talking about older watches, too - and there are definitely gold-plated real Rolex's. It may very well be that Rolex was not always what it is today - I don't think that changes the truth, however. But, now, after looking at many sites, that it may not have been made for our discriminating US buyers, but rather for Canada. Which still is no shabby thing. You noticed that the one I showed - the one for 2500 bucks, didn't even have a gold band - it was leather.

One thing - you don't want to confuse an 18K solid gold bezel, with a solid gold everything else. Rolex has watches, with diamonds (which I found a woman's Rolex with the diamonds) with 18K solid gold bezel, but gold plated case. (again, over stainless steel). I know you are going by the Five no-s, but the Rolex company does not say the same thing as the "experts" online. And they mention the replicas made in all the countries, except Canada, and The Rolex Corp does recognize an export market - to Canada.

Well, crap, I just finished reading the ENTIRE Rolex site. All Rolex watches are stainless steel - with a coating 20-26 mm coating of 18K gold - so none of them are really "solid gold". Geesh.

Beth


How can a watch have a coating of 20-26mm? I don't understand how the process could arrive at such a figure.

Plus there can be a huge difference between being plated and not 100% gold. That said, I have seen too many references to solid gold Rolex watches so can't quite believe that. Maybe it just takes a certain % to count as solid... don't know.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

I just want to know if this has been taken to a jeweler or not yet?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Could this be a "real" Rolex?

mrs.oroblanco said:
Mike,

That, is an interesting site. Like I said, I am NOT, nor will I ever be, a watch collector (including Rolex) just not my thing, though my one uncle had a Rolex (but he liked and wore, lots of gold and diamonds, too). :dontknow:

But, I also know that I'm talking about older watches, too - and there are definitely gold-plated real Rolex's. It may very well be that Rolex was not always what it is today - I don't think that changes the truth, however. But, now, after looking at many sites, that it may not have been made for our discriminating US buyers, but rather for Canada. Which still is no shabby thing. You noticed that the one I showed - the one for 2500 bucks, didn't even have a gold band - it was leather.

One thing - you don't want to confuse an 18K solid gold bezel, with a solid gold everything else. Rolex has watches, with diamonds (which I found a woman's Rolex with the diamonds) with 18K solid gold bezel, but gold plated case. (again, over stainless steel). I know you are going by the Five no-s, but the Rolex company does not say the same thing as the "experts" online. And they mention the replicas made in all the countries, except Canada, and The Rolex Corp does recognize an export market - to Canada.

Well, crap, I just finished reading the ENTIRE Rolex site. All Rolex watches are stainless steel - with a coating 20-26 mm coating of 18K gold - so none of them are really "solid gold". Geesh.

Beth

Beth,

First, you should REALLY go back and reread. If a Rolex is Gold, Platinum, or Stainless Steel, it is SOLID gold, platinum, or stainless steel. NOT PLATED.

Let me explain what you saw. ROLEX has NEVER produced a gold plated/filled watch with a diamond face and/or bezel. Period! Since Rolex is probably one of the most famous names in watches, there are lots of companies producing aftermarket parts that will fit REAL Rolexes. You can buy parts that fit a Rolex that aren't made by Rolex (Band, Bezel, Face, etc). Just like you can buy a carburetor and intake manifold for your Camaro that weren't made by Chevy. And not just fake stuff. I mean real gold and diamond/jewel encrusted. You can also buy cheap fake stuff that will fit your Rolex. But then again, we are back to: If you can afford a $7K-$50K Watch, why would you put fake accessories on it? People don't! I have seen hundreds of Rolexes, and have NEVER seen anyone put cheap crap on a REAL Rolex, and conversely, have NEVER seen anyone put EXPENSIVE accessories on a cheap piece of crap.

The absolute best fakes out there are made in Italy. They buy REAL Rolex Crystals and Movements. They cut cases out of solid gold, platinum, etc (just a bit less that Rolex uses). They are undetectable. One of these fake Daytona Yatchmasters runs about $7000 (real ones are about $30K). Because the use REAL Rolex movements is why they are undetectable (even if you remove the back and look at the movement). The heart of a Rolex is the movement which moves at 28,800 VPM (vibrations per minute). This is what gives the Rolex their famous "sweep second hand." It IS ticking like a regular watch, but instead of moving one tick per second, it ticks 480 times per second. It looks like it is smoothly flowing with no ticks. There are fakes that are close, but to someone who KNOWS Rolex, they can be spotted.

I know you REALLY want this to be a REAL Rolex for the finders' sake, and so would I, but it just aint. HAHAHA

Best-Mike
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom