What's new

CSA Buckle?

Dustin V3

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Farragut, Tennessee USA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3
Is this is a CSA Buckle?
 

Attachments

  • csa.webp
    csa.webp
    17.5 KB · Views: 671
  • csa1.webp
    csa1.webp
    22.9 KB · Views: 669
Not sure? It doesnt realy look like others I have seen on T-Net. Someone will be along to tell you for sure. Hope it is for you.
 
Upvote 0
It looks like a failed attempt to make a duplicate to me? Monty
 
Upvote 0
I don't think it is a buckle because there are no hooks or evidence of hooks. Interesting piece though. I will see what I can find in my books. Was this dug up?
 
Upvote 0
But are there authentic "CSA" egg style buckles? I don't recall seeing any. Of course they would be very rare so maybe they do exist.
 
Upvote 0
I do know that it was found in a remote location and it was found by a coin hunter and an honest one at that. I don't believe it to be fake at all. It might not be a buckle, but I do believe it is from the civil war. What it is...is what I'm trying to find out.
 
Upvote 0
That's a sketchy looking one...
 
Upvote 0
Looks like an old fake to me. Sorry It would be best to get a reputable dealer to look at it in person though.
 
Upvote 0
I saw something that looked just like that at the flea market last weekend!! :headbang: :headbang:
 
Upvote 0
Hi Dustin. :hello:
I just saw this post from our Tennessee club page.
I have never seen any thing quite like it.
I believe it to be period. Fake Duplicate or not it's still a nice piece!
 
Upvote 0
OK....first off we have seen in the past soldiers make everything from love tokens to badges to cut-out coins and coin rings. Soooo...could this be from that period....definitely. Could it be a buckle or just a piece of metal from a bored soldier to take up his time and frustration out on...why not? This piece belongs in that person's personal collection because there is no way to prove it is or not period unless it was dated or tagged in some way to a particular person. All this...is just my humble opinion. Nice find and HH'ing, Kieth :headbang:
 
Upvote 0
I believe it to be an original field-crafted buckle to replace one that now probably graces BuckleBoys mantel.
 
Upvote 0
I never said it was a fake, rather a duplicate attempt. Who's to say some soldier with time on his hands didn't try his hand at making one? Being a possible duplicate attempt in no way reflects on the honesty and integrity of the finder. Just wanted to clear that up. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Years ago after I got my braces off, I had to wear a retainer. As most parents know, retainers and kids are polar opposites. True to form, I lost the top retainer in what seems like a matter of weeks just after I'd been fitted for it. Being the crafty kid I was, I fashioned a thick paper clip into the shape of the wire that extended over the front of my newly straightened pearly whites.

It worked like the proverbial charm. All I had to do was make sure I was wearing my 'retainer' when I got off the bus. Mom always checked.

(Do you see where I'm going with this?)

One spring day, many months later, I came home from school to have mom ask me if I had my retainer. "Sure mom, see?
I flash a faux grin to show her the device obediently in place.
"Then what do you call THIS?!" as she slammed the nearly warped beyond recognition and faded retainer down on the table. Apparently I'd lost it in the side yard and that's where it stayed until my mom found it.
The jig was up. "That's all I have to say about that." - Forrest Gump, c1994


Perhaps our protagonist had a demanding CO who ordered him to make a new new buckle since he carelessly lost his original.
Just a fantasy I suppose but for some reason, seeing the buckle reminded me of that dang retainer.
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • CSAFake.webp
    CSAFake.webp
    4.4 KB · Views: 441
Upvote 0
For the record, I didn't mean that Dustin V3 or the person who dug this were dishonest. Just want to make that clear. People have made repro buckles for years. There was a farm near me where the owner made repro buckles in his barn in the '50's and '60's. The farm was cleared in the 80's and we dug quite a few of his rejects plus some that were buried to age them. They all looked so good that if it had not been for the type of hooks they could have passed for good plates. I hope someone will be able to give you a definite answer on this piece
 
Upvote 0
This is the closest I could find... Im not sure how these were made.
 

Attachments

  • fake boxplate.webp
    fake boxplate.webp
    6.3 KB · Views: 398
Upvote 0
How thick is the metal?
 
Upvote 0
Looks like the "CSA" is raised on both the front side and the backside. ???

I'm thinking somebody's homemade project; could be from the early post-civil war period, somebody with loose time on their hands. Definitely not something to be passed off as authentic.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom