Curious to what yaall do!?

freqflyer4u

Dec 9, 2013
been there...done that
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious to what ya'all do!?

So I've come to a crossroads with CRHing and I'm really wondering which way to go. I know its ultimately my choice and this IS a hobby (which I do thoroughly enjoy!)....BUT a hobby with a purpose ;) Do you guys stack what you find and then trade in your 40%s for more Ag (ie 90%s or ASEs) OR do you guys stack what you find then take it into a LCS and trade them for numismatic coins? Say more "collectible" coins (obviously most are 90% Ag).

I haven't decided which way I would like to go....and would really like to know how you all go about it and what you keep or trade for! Thanks all and HH!

Upvote 1
Personally for me I just keep stacking all my silver finds as much as I can. I hold on to it and consider it an investment.

So I've come to a crossroads with CRHing and I'm really wondering which way to go. I know its ultimately my choice and this IS a hobby (which I do thoroughly enjoy!)....BUT a hobby with a purpose ;) Do you guys stack what you find and then trade in your 40%s for more Ag (ie 90%s or ASEs) OR do you guys stack what you find then take it into a LCS and trade them for numismatic coins? Say more "collectible" coins (obviously most are 90% Ag). I haven't decided which way I would like to go....and would really like to know how you all go about it and what you keep or trade for! Thanks all and HH!
I'm eminem need I say more? I coin roll hunt because I get enjoyment outta hustlin the streets and throwing rolls at tellas.

"I am a lineman for the county -
And I drive the main road -
Lookin' in the sun for another overload - "

-Glenn Campbell

Not making a job out of it fellas....cuz there isn't enough out there for that! Just curious to know on best things to do with the more "undesirable" coins that are found....but contain Ag. My thoughts were more toward trading up to rare numismatic coins like MIhunter said, but still curious to what everyone else is doing

Me personally, I just keep putting it all away for a little later in life, IMO you will loose everytime you trade out 40's for 90's, Silver is Silver 40 or 90, that's the way I look at it, when Silver goes up, 40%'s go up too just like 90's, so I would never consider trying to swap out my 40's for 90's, plus I love looking at all the 40's I've collected these past few years, it's really quite impressive I think :). HH, Maverick.

I definitely treat it as a hobby. I am a little competitive (I want an ounce a week, and find myself out driving to 8 banks on a Saturday sometimes...)

But...I keep everything. I'm a collector and a history teacher. I don't want to let anything cool slip through my fingers.

Cents, nickels, dimes, quarters, halves, I do 'em all.

I sold most of mine to buy Morgans. I still remember the days of $4/oz and would hate for my silver to drop to those levels when I could have a coin like this instead ...

Attachments

• image-1598610621.jpg
    image-1598610621.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 112
  • image-3701248174.jpg
    image-3701248174.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 97
I'm eminem need I say more? I coin roll hunt because I get enjoyment outta hustlin the streets and throwing rolls at tellas.

Oh..You dont CRH hunt to pay the bills since your albums sales have been slippin?...JK :laughing7:

I see a few options for your "undesirable" silver:

* Hold what you have - From a pure investment standpoint, this may be the best option.

* Trade "undesirable" silver for better silver or in other words, upgrade from 40% to 90%. Anytime you trade silver for silver with a dealer, however, you will probably lose some in the trade. You will get a minor space improvement and probably a very minor numismatic boost for having 90% coins instead of 40%.

* Trade "undesirable" silver for numismatic coins. Again you will probably lose value in the trade, but you "may" find a dealer willing to negoiate a reasonably fair price to move some stock as he can sell the 40% for melt and get quick cash easier than selling a numismatic coin to get quick cash even if they lower their prices.

* Trade "undesirable" silver for gold. I am not expert, but read up on how to watch the price ratios between silver and gold and swap from "undesirable" silver coins to gold coins when the ratios are best. You may lose a little initially, but if you time your swap right, you may be able to even back out when the ratio goes back to its historical norm. If you time it really well, you may even come out ahead in the long run if you sell at the right time.

Personally, I have only traded coins for cash at this point, but if I was keeping my investment in precious metals, I would probably trade my "undesirable" silver for numismatic gold coins when the silver to gold price ratios are the most in my favor.

I agree with Jav. Ive been hoarding silver for several years now. So having a hobby were I can get silver @ face is the perfect hobby for me. I've been collecting coins off and on since I was a kid many years ago and I appreciate the numismatic value they can have but for me Im mostly interested in the intrinsic value silver, copper and even nickel coins have as real money as opposed to fiat currency which is just an illusion of money. So while most people continue saving and investing their paper play money I'll continue hoarding and saving my real money.

H$H!

One time I had a super score and found about $22.00 face in halves (mixture of 40 and 90%) and I sold it at the local coin store for a little over $200...it was great quick profit but I was still new and didn't have my math right and walked away with a loss of about 1.50 per oz...

Since then I have hoarded my findings and await a day where I can get melt+ or equivalent in trade up for .999 rounds or bars.

I don't sell/trade much of anything I find at this point.

Trading up for high grade, rare numismatic coins is probably a good investment.

I've held on to all my silver so far; waiting for it to hit at least $30/tr.oz. again. May just hold it till retirement (20 years from now).

If you're going to trade, I'd recommend trading for 90% or gold. IMO, the coin collecting population is aging rapidly, with very few young collectors taking their place. For that reason alone I'm concerned that "high grade, rare numismatic coins" may NOT be a good long term investment, though I agree it's fun collecting them.

I've held most of mine so far. When silver briefly hit $24/ounce again at the end of the summer I sold 400x40% at a decent price and kept the cash. This was mainly to free up space and take some profits. That was the bulk of my 40%'ers. Since then the stack has steadily piled up again and I am waiting for silver to break the $24/ounce line again and then I'll sell some more.
I haven't sold the 90%'ers or any of my lower mintage 40%"ers (1970, bicentennial, proofs, etc). For the time being I plan on holding onto all of that stuff. The only way I plan on selling those is if silver rises above $35/ounce or if I need the money for something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back