What's new

CW Union Corps Clover Badge?

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
1
Location
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Greetings all,
A recent post showing a similar piece listed as described above.
Mine is missing stem & broken, I am wondering if it may be the remains of a 2nd corps badge.
I understand they were made by individual soldiers during camp time & would be unique in design, seems like this may be a possible.
found in same ballast pile as several CW eagle buttons & early & mid 1800s coins.
A stem break is visible. approx 13/16"
Thanks for looking & HH! :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • NC FINDS 12-9 016.webp
    NC FINDS 12-9 016.webp
    61.2 KB · Views: 390
  • NC FINDS 12-9 017.webp
    NC FINDS 12-9 017.webp
    59.6 KB · Views: 357
  • NC FINDS 12-9 018.webp
    NC FINDS 12-9 018.webp
    25.4 KB · Views: 373
Re: CW Union 2nd Corps badge?

Wow... it would be cool if it was!

I think, unless you find one that is in great shape and bump it up against it... well, hard to say.

It looks like the stem broke off at the bottom...

The only fancy brass example I fund looked much more like a real clover, and not a "rounded" stylized clover. Then I found one close to yours that had the number "2" on it...

Untitled.webp
 
Upvote 0
Re: CW Union 2nd Corps Clover Badge?

Thanks MontanaJim!
I know we don't have a lot to work with here, Many thanks for your research!
Given that each is an individual production, and the plentiful CW artifacts found here,
I believe it is a 'Clover Badge'.
good Day & Best digs to You! :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: CW Union 2nd Corps Clover Badge?

I seen this in your post the other day and the corp badge is exactly what came to my mind, but I didn't see a break for a stem. I think now with the added pic it is very possible for it to be. The badges are very rare to find, so it would be very cool, if it was proven to be part of one.

The corp badges were not goverment issued but could be bought from sutlers or personally made out of cloth, tin, brass, lead and silver.
The second corp badge would have been white in color when worn as the 1st corp would have been red and the third being blue.
The second corp badge was made as a trefoil or shamrock because of alot of the troops in that corp were Irish.
The corp badges were worn on the hat and at the last couple of the years when the Confederate prisoners were brought into Bristol Station they would see the 2nd corp badge and curse them as the Damn white clubs from when they fought with them at Gettysburg.

Nova Treasure
 
Upvote 0
Re: CW Union 2nd Corps Clover Badge?

Thanks for all the great info!
I am currently reading 'The Irish Brigade in the Civil War' by Joseph G. Bilby
Rather dry but informative book about the Regiments.
Good day & Great Digs to you :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: CW Union 2nd Corps Clover Badge?

It very well could be......I found this one in Culpeper, VA :headbang: Made by a soldier out of lead, probably a 3 ringer. Gotta tell ya.....this one made my day! :laughing7:
 

Attachments

  • 2nd Corp badge.webp
    2nd Corp badge.webp
    28.5 KB · Views: 412
Upvote 0
Re: CW Union 2nd Corps Clover Badge?

Tony (NC) said:
It very well could be......I found this one in Culpeper, VA :headbang: Made by a soldier out of lead, probably a 3 ringer. Gotta tell ya.....this one made my day! :laughing7:
That is a beauty!
The Greatest thing about these badges is their uniqueness, most were made by the soldier himself,
Considering the evident age of this item, and the many other CW era finds from this site, I am convinced that it is a Clover Badge.
Thanks to All who posted! HH :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: CW Union 2nd Corps Clover Badge?

steelheadwill said:
Tony (NC) said:
It very well could be......I found this one in Culpeper, VA :headbang: Made by a soldier out of lead, probably a 3 ringer. Gotta tell ya.....this one made my day! :laughing7:
That is a beauty!
The Greatest thing about these badges is their uniqueness, most were made by the soldier himself,
Considering the evident age of this item, and the many other CW era finds from this site, I am convinced that it is a Clover Badge.
Thanks to All who posted! HH :thumbsup:
Is yours lead also? Are the copper and brass clovers also homemade? Interesting find.

ADDED: I found this homemade clover online. It appears they came in all shapes, sizes and metals.
 

Attachments

  • clover 2nd corps.webp
    clover 2nd corps.webp
    80.3 KB · Views: 311
Upvote 0
Re: CW Union 2nd Corps Clover Badge?

bigcypresshunter said:
steelheadwill said:
Tony (NC) said:
It very well could be......I found this one in Culpeper, VA :headbang: Made by a soldier out of lead, probably a 3 ringer. Gotta tell ya.....this one made my day! :laughing7:
That is a beauty!
The Greatest thing about these badges is their uniqueness, most were made by the soldier himself,
Considering the evident age of this item, and the many other CW era finds from this site, I am convinced that it is a Clover Badge.
Thanks to All who posted! HH :thumbsup:
Is yours lead also? Are the copper and brass clovers also homemade? Interesting find.

ADDED: I found this homemade clover online. It appears they came in all shapes, sizes and metals.
Thanks for posting the new photo!
intrigueing how crudely made some of them are.
The piece I found is copper I believe, :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom