What's new

Cynics, anyone?

spartacus53 said:
The Beep Goes On said:
That's the point: "BELIEF NOT REQUIRED"

You can still enjoy the subject matter if you so choose. It is not necessary to exhibit belief or disbelief concerning any topic; there is a middle ground that simply awaits further information...no decision is required. Some think it has to be one way or another.

Like beep said above.. I answered this early on by saying keeping an open mind... An open mind is a definitive answer, even if it's open ended.

We do this all the time when we say "I don't know".

Like they say, keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out. :laughing7:
 
And why do we think it is that mankind has this hunger, or need to believe in something? Who do we think put that need there? Animals don't have it...just humans. We all have the need to believe in something, whether or not we recognize it as such. Think about it. We all DO believe in something. We all have something that fills that hunger, whether it be science, or something else.
 
Do i believe? the answer is yes & no! I picture my brain as having 3 sections.
Section 1 contains all the things that I have seen or know to have been proven proven. Section 2 contains all the probables,speculation and suppositions that I have heard. This section is open to positive proof or disproof. It is kind of the maybe section. Section 3 is the disproven section. It contains all the bunk that floats around that I have seen positively disproven.
Where does that leave me?
God- Something sets the pace of life weather you believe in god or science, there is something bigger than us.
Aliens- I have personally spoken to people that were at Roswell in '47. All I can say is they were gray not green.
Bigfoot- Still in the middle section.

Decartes said, " I think therefore I am." What he meant was that because he was able to logically think about things that surrounded him, he himself existed.
​
 
Kentucky Kache said:
And why do we think it is that mankind has this hunger, or need to believe in something? Who do we think put that need there? Animals don't have it...just humans. We all have the need to believe in something, whether or not we recognize it as such. Think about it. We all DO believe in something. We all have something that fills that hunger, whether it be science, or something else.

The last link in the OP could point out some physiological reasons for belief. Some of the other articles may pertain as well...

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=352793.msg2528007
 
The Beep Goes On said:
Kentucky Kache said:
And why do we think it is that mankind has this hunger, or need to believe in something? Who do we think put that need there? Animals don't have it...just humans. We all have the need to believe in something, whether or not we recognize it as such. Think about it. We all DO believe in something. We all have something that fills that hunger, whether it be science, or something else.

The last link in the OP could point out some physiological reasons for belief. Some of the other articles may pertain as well...

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=352793.msg2528007

And what is the root of all that? You can call anything physiological, but what is behind that? Our physiology came from somewhere. There is a design, no matter how you look at it. Even if you believe we crawled out of the ocean, where did the crawlers come from? Where did the ocean come from? What determined that the human animal would have a hunger that no other animal would have?
 
Kentucky Kache said:
The Beep Goes On said:
Kentucky Kache said:
And why do we think it is that mankind has this hunger, or need to believe in something? Who do we think put that need there? Animals don't have it...just humans. We all have the need to believe in something, whether or not we recognize it as such. Think about it. We all DO believe in something. We all have something that fills that hunger, whether it be science, or something else.

The last link in the OP could point out some physiological reasons for belief. Some of the other articles may pertain as well...

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=352793.msg2528007

And what is the root of all that? You can call anything physiological, but what is behind that? Our physiology came from somewhere. There is a design, no matter how you look at it. Even if you believe we crawled out of the ocean, where did the crawlers come from? Where did the ocean come from? What determined that the human animal would have a hunger that no other animal would have?

Aren't all these questions great?! Our curiosity is partially responsible for what brought us up on two feet and caused our brain to grow and develop new functionality, in my opinion. Some Einstein quotes...

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love."

"I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

"The only real valuable thing is intuition."

"A person starts to live when he can live outside himself."

"God is subtle but he is not malicious."

"The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility."

"Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing."

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking."

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."
 
KKashe, you and most others keep assuming all person's wonder about how it all began and why we humans are different from the lower animals. I might bring this topic up in conversation for sake of killing time but I honestly never think about it or have any need to know the answers.

Man invents religion to answer these questions. I was raised in a family of non-believers who never, ever spoke of god or spirits or anything sentimental like that. So I was not indoctrinated young to think in terms of god. Now I do not worry or concern myself with "The Big Questions". The need to know this is not in me. Not one little bit. I don't turn to god for answers because I don't ask the questions in the first place.

There are probably many who feel as I do but are afraid to speak up on public forums and admit they do not believe in god. It does not bother me at all to make such statements because I have no such previous training that makes such statements (or even thoughts) shameful activities. I'm like the naked islander before the useless missionary showed up and told me to put some clothes on. God be watching and he does not approve of naked islanders.


OT
 
There is nothing wrong with that OT. Sounds liberating, but confining. I do understand that it is a non-issue for you. In my case, curiosity trumps all and I will always be looking for answers and adjusting my framework of belief, and the beliefs or non-beliefs therein, until I die.
 
I don't believe in aliens, bigfoot, the loch ness monster, esp, majic, and mediums.

I am willing to consider any info supporting or disproving their existence though. A few of these things I am not sure about, since so many claim them to be true, but I don't believe in them at this time. I don't depend on science to tell me what to believe. I can form my own beliefs based on what I see, experience, or consider to be likely based on other known information.

Divining rods used to be in this category, but a man proved it to me beyond reasonable doubt, and I have accomplished it myself (finding water), however I struggle with it in my mind anyway because it doesn't make sense. This is one of those things I believe in that doesn't make sense and science can't (or rather "hasn't yet") explain. I still don't believe it will find anything other than water at this point.

I believe in and love God because of a series of things that have happened in my life that prove to me that he exists. I could try to explain it all, but it wouldn't be proof to you (Just like someone's account of having a premonition isn't proof to me although it is sufficient proof for them to believe), and it would come across as preaching anyway and I don't try to force what I believe on anyone else. I can't prove the stuff in the Bible, but that is one thing I do put faith in, because enough of it has been proven to me to be true that context gives it merit.

So I guess my answer is no, I don't generally believe in things that can't be explained, seen, or otherwise validated and have pretty much always considered myself cynical or skeptical. I do, however, believe in some things you mentioned in your list.
 
Did anyone ever consider that some questions have no answer?
​
 
OT - I don't mean this as a confrontational question nor am I leading you into anything but genuinely am interested in your answer based upon what you have revealed about yourself on this thread.

What would you do if you were with a friend and you both experienced something? This something was the same for both of you and completely unexplainable, suppose it fit into one of those categories you list above.
 
Heck, I take it on a big dose of faith that I will find anything valuable, anything at all, when I go detecting. :laughing7: If I lose that faith or passion for pursuing that which is not certain, then I don't get much hunting done.
 
The Beep Goes On said:
There is nothing wrong with that OT. Sounds liberating, but confining. I do understand that it is a non-issue for you. In my case, curiosity trumps all and I will always be looking for answers and adjusting my framework of belief, and the beliefs or non-beliefs therein, until I die.

Beep, honest to somebody's god, I'm a pretty simple guy who does not spend much time thinking esoteric thoughts. I'd rather kiss a girl or drive a boat fast. Maybe kill a big fish and have friends over to eat it. Beyond that? not a hell of a lot goes on in my mind. I know my limitations. Just look around at some of the people you know expounding on complicated issues they have not the intellect or vocabulary to handle. These soles look and sound like fools to me. I'm not that smart, but I'm bright enough not to be one of them.

Drunk and stupid in Key West,

Old Town
 
DigginThePast said:
OT - I don't mean this as a confrontational question nor am I leading you into anything but genuinely am interested in your answer based upon what you have revealed about yourself on this thread.

What would you do if you were with a friend and you both experienced something? This something was the same for both of you and completely unexplainable, suppose it fit into one of those categories you list above.

Diggin, nice of you to feel you have to be polite in addressing such issues but it's not needed with me. I don't insult very easily. And no person on a forum can really effect anyone like me. Remember, as has been pointed out, I have no soul.

Now let's say you and me are 20 miles off shore on my sailboat and the drunken ladies we picked up on Duval Street have fallen asleep, or passed out. So there we are, still sober because we're manly men, watching the night sky and wondering what the hell to do with the broads.

A purple orb with rotating green lights lifts off over the horizon and does all kinds of unnatural things in the air. Nothing obscene but stuff no conventional aircraft is supposed to be able to do. We look at each other and then back at the spectacle. Both of us are amazed. I'm making you a pilot in this story and you tell me no vehicle with wings can do what that thing just did. And our purple orb made no sound and left no vapor trail.

You might attribute it to aliens but I'd assume it was a secret military aircraft of some kind I could not imagine. I'd look upon it with wonder but not wonder about it later. To me it was a man-made craft I happen to not know the origin of. This is the only way I'm capable of reacting.

I cannot even imagine for this academic exercise a situation where you and me see something that is beyond some plausible explanation. Like if you and me watched a man walk through a brick wall or fly naked through the air. I can't tell you how I'd react to that because it's too foolish to contemplate in my mind to begin with. Needless to say, I've not witnessed naked flying men who can walk through brick walls and neither has any other human on earth. No matter what some nut might tell you.

Does this help?

Old Town
 
Old Town
I feel sorry for you not believing in Bigfoot, UFOs and aliens, alternative universes, magic, miracles, divining rods, mediums, Davy Jones, the human race, crop circles or the government.
you must live in a boring world with no imagination, but you do write a good story
 
Old Town said:
DigginThePast said:
OT - I don't mean this as a confrontational question nor am I leading you into anything but genuinely am interested in your answer based upon what you have revealed about yourself on this thread.

What would you do if you were with a friend and you both experienced something? This something was the same for both of you and completely unexplainable, suppose it fit into one of those categories you list above.

Diggin, nice of you to feel you have to be polite in addressing such issues but it's not needed with me. I don't insult very easily. And no person on a forum can really effect anyone like me. Remember, as has been pointed out, I have no soul.

Now let's say you and me are 20 miles off shore on my sailboat and the drunken ladies we picked up on Duval Street have fallen asleep, or passed out. So there we are, still sober because we're manly men, watching the night sky and wondering what the hell to do with the broads.

A purple orb with rotating green lights lifts off over the horizon and does all kinds of unnatural things in the air. Nothing obscene but stuff no conventional aircraft is supposed to be able to do. We look at each other and then back at the spectacle. Both of us are amazed. I'm making you a pilot in this story and you tell me no vehicle with wings can do what that thing just did. And our purple orb made no sound and left no vapor trail.

You might attribute it to aliens but I'd assume it was a secret military aircraft of some kind I could not imagine. I'd look upon it with wonder but not wonder about it later. To me it was a man-made craft I happen to not know the origin of. This is the only way I'm capable of reacting.

I cannot even imagine for this academic exercise a situation where you and me see something that is beyond some plausible explanation. Like if you and me watched a man walk through a brick wall or fly naked through the air. I can't tell you how I'd react to that because it's too foolish to contemplate in my mind to begin with. Needless to say, I've not witnessed naked flying men who can walk through brick walls and neither has any other human on earth. No matter what some nut might tell you.

Does this help?

Old Town

I should have been a little more specific in my question. In the case of the UFO (that is technically what it is) I would not presume it to be of alien origin either, actually I more likely assume it was some covert aircraft.

The scenario of watching a man walk through a brick wall is a little more intriguing and more to the point. An apparition of a deceased person presents itself to you and your friend without provocation. Thoughts?
 
Old Town said:
The Beep Goes On said:
There is nothing wrong with that OT. Sounds liberating, but confining. I do understand that it is a non-issue for you. In my case, curiosity trumps all and I will always be looking for answers and adjusting my framework of belief, and the beliefs or non-beliefs therein, until I die.

Beep, honest to somebody's god, I'm a pretty simple guy who does not spend much time thinking esoteric thoughts. I'd rather kiss a girl or drive a boat fast. Maybe kill a big fish and have friends over to eat it. Beyond that? not a hell of a lot goes on in my mind. I know my limitations. Just look around at some of the people you know expounding on complicated issues they have not the intellect or vocabulary to handle. These soles look and sound like fools to me. I'm not that smart, but I'm bright enough not to be one of them.

Drunk and stupid in Key West,

Old Town

Sounds good.
 

Attachments

  • kw.webp
    kw.webp
    66.1 KB · Views: 359
The Beep Goes On said:
Old Town said:
The Beep Goes On said:
There is nothing wrong with that OT. Sounds liberating, but confining. I do understand that it is a non-issue for you. In my case, curiosity trumps all and I will always be looking for answers and adjusting my framework of belief, and the beliefs or non-beliefs therein, until I die.

Beep, honest to somebody's god, I'm a pretty simple guy who does not spend much time thinking esoteric thoughts. I'd rather kiss a girl or drive a boat fast. Maybe kill a big fish and have friends over to eat it. Beyond that? not a hell of a lot goes on in my mind. I know my limitations. Just look around at some of the people you know expounding on complicated issues they have not the intellect or vocabulary to handle. These soles look and sound like fools to me. I'm not that smart, but I'm bright enough not to be one of them.

Drunk and stupid in Key West,

Old Town

Sounds good.



Beep, the boat is glass and sloop-rigged. Both are not for me. But the chick? She's rigged nicely and has the correct bottom shape. Bet she goes to windward really good. Really, really, good.

OT
 
Old Town said:
KKashe, you and most others keep assuming all person's wonder about how it all began and why we humans are different from the lower animals. I might bring this topic up in conversation for sake of killing time but I honestly never think about it or have any need to know the answers.

Man invents religion to answer these questions. I was raised in a family of non-believers who never, ever spoke of god or spirits or anything sentimental like that. So I was not indoctrinated young to think in terms of god. Now I do not worry or concern myself with "The Big Questions". The need to know this is not in me. Not one little bit. I don't turn to god for answers because I don't ask the questions in the first place.

There are probably many who feel as I do but are afraid to speak up on public forums and admit they do not believe in god. It does not bother me at all to make such statements because I have no such previous training that makes such statements (or even thoughts) shameful activities. I'm like the naked islander before the useless missionary showed up and told me to put some clothes on. God be watching and he does not approve of naked islanders.


OT

Mankind was created with a hunger. That includes you. Whether you know it or not, you seek to fill that hunger with something.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom