What's new

Davis Zirkle lumber Co. token today

GatorBoy

Gold Member
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
14,812
Reaction score
6,156
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was a surprise and a cool find today any info on this token as far as rarity and so forth would be a big help all I know right now is the company closed its doors in 1926

ForumRunner_20141022_191640.webp



ForumRunner_20141022_191659.webp



ForumRunner_20141022_191714.webp
 
Some history: ZIRKLE, Pierce County (Georgia) Originally (1904-05) known as DIXON SIDING, it was located six miles southeast of Patterson. A depot was erected about 1910, named Zirkle in honor of local lumberman, L.A. Zirkle. The town declined after the Davis-Zirkle Lumber Co. mill closed down in 1926.
Don......
PS:
Zirkle, Georgia does not exist today. Before 1926, Zirkle was the second largest town in Pierce County. It had a sawmill and more than 300 workers who processed lumber every day. There were stores and homes. In 1926 the saw mill closed production and the town was no more. Zirkle’s population went to zero. Slowly the community went back to nature as the vegetation took over the buildings and evidence of the town disappeard.
 
Last edited:
Thank you Don
 
Last edited:
Partin's GA Trade Tokens book (from 1990) lists tokens from this business in 5¢ and 50¢ only, so the 10¢ denomination was unknown to the authors at that time. It is also not on tokencatalog.com - I'd encourage you to post your pictures there.
John in the Great 208
 
I went to tokencatalog .com and noticed that I might check into putting the photo there not sure how to go about it
 
It definitely does it sounds like it would be right up my alley I'm in the southern third of Florida though.
 
With permission, I can post your pics there. What is the diameter?
John
I went to tokencatalog .com and noticed that I might check into putting the photo there not sure how to go about it
 
I appreciate that I even appreciate you asking ...still I think it would be better for me to do personally.
 
Great! To post your own tokens on tokencatalog, you first must log on to the site - register if you haven't already. Then prepare the pics by cropping them as well as you can. On the site, there is a tab "contribute" which is where you then select the obverse and reverse pics from your computer, then hit upload image. Then, your next step is to fill in the obverse, reverse, size, material, shape, etc. Then when that is all filled in, hit submit image and you are done.

John

I appreciate that I even appreciate you asking ...still I think it would be better for me to do personally.
 
Big help... Thanks
 
It should be listed on the website now
 
Great! I did a bit of editing to put it in the format that the site wants (i.e. / between the lines). Still needs diameter in mm - let me know and I'll add it.
John
[TABLE="align: left"]
[TR]
[TD]


[TD="width: 100"] [TABLE="align: left"]
[TR]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] [TABLE="width: 100"]
[TR]
[TD] [TABLE="width: 100"]
[TR]
[TD]B[/TD]
[TD]R[/TD]
[TD]?[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] [CA1] [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[TD]
DAVIS ZIRKLE LUMBER CO. / ZIRKLE, / GA.
GOOD FOR / 10¢ / IN MERCHANDISE
TC-400494

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"]Contributed by: GatorBoy[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[TABLE="align: left"]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="align: left"]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
[TABLE="width: 100"]
[TR]
[TD] [TABLE="width: 100"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/TD]
[TD]


[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
 
Last edited:
It's seven eighths of an inch I think that equals 22. 23 millimeters
Thanks John
 
I've been to that site. We found a few wheat cents best I recall. But seeing that token, I think we will visit it again.
 
Good luck
 
Yeah I couldn't find it listed anywhere I did add it on token catalog.com
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom