What's new

Decent Saturday Hunt

georgia flatlander

Full Member
Joined
May 21, 2017
Messages
175
Reaction score
412
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southeastern U.S. (Georgia)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a pretty good hunt on Saturday despite the less-than-expected rainfall.

Found the Big Sandy's and Dalton type in a transitional Paleo/early Archaic site and the others in a late Archaic site.
If anyone can help me identify the Dalton type to the right of the Big Sandy's I would appreciate it. I'm at a loss!

IMG_3065.webp
 
Upvote 0
Bottom left could possibly be a Kinney...? Or a Plainview...?
 
Man some killers in their any chance of getting some close up pics of a few of them .... looks like some great points in there..... is that a drill too? That’s a great hunt
 
Georgia - that bottom left point doesn't look like a Dalton to me. Wrong form, flaking, etc... At first glance it looks pre-Dalton and a nice Paleo example. On second glance I think it's been rebased meaning it once was a broken tip that someone reworked to make into a usable point again. The basic outline is still paleo and it could have been reworked in that time. Of course it could have been reworked later as well. Close up of that point would be very interesting. As would details on the basal treatment - is it ground, is it basally thinned, is it fluted. Is there any outre-passe flaking on the piece? Very interesting and congrats on the nice finds.
 
Last edited:
You are on an old site for sure. Stay with that area.It is where you want to be if you like going way back in time.
 
Georgia - that bottom left point doesn't look like a Dalton to me. Wrong form, flaking, etc... At first glance it looks pre-Dalton and a nice Paleo example. On second glance I think it's been rebased meaning it once was a broken tip that someone reworked to make into a usable point again. The basic outline is still paleo and it could have been reworked in that time. Of course it could have been reworked later as well. Close up of that point would be very interesting. As would details on the basal treatment - is it ground, is it basally thinned, is it fluted. Is there any outre-passe flaking on the piece? Very interesting and congrats on the nice finds.

IMG_3068.webp

IMG_3069.webp
 
I see it was chipped at the base so probably a nice Camp Creek, Woodland period. But still a nice one. Here is what I think you have.
Nicest one I have ever found and it to had me thinking early.
 

Attachments

  • SDC12464.webp
    SDC12464.webp
    981.4 KB · Views: 104
You had a good day for finds man
 
I have some transitional wheelers. They have a good auricle.
 
You think it’s woodland ? I thought for sure at least archaic but than again I’m just guessing and don’t have a clue about his area ,
 
Those are great pieces rock and Ga Fl! Rock's is quite a bit smaller? Can I loan you a nickel to take a pic of your piece beside it?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom