DEFINITELY A SEVERED BONE... but what kind? Need guidance

Knsomers

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this bone on a beach in New Jersey yesterday. It was clearly cut by a tool so I can see the spongy bone part that looks like little canals. So definitely a bone. No question about that. My question is...WHAT could this bone have belonged to. It looks to me like the socket end of a ball and socket joint. But do fish or dolphins even have those joints? Is it even that type of joint? Am I crazy for thinking this could be a human bone? It’s just weird to me how it’s cut like that. Is this something I should report just in case? Or do these kinds of bones often pop up on beaches? Any advice or thoughts are appreciated! Also, in the pictures where I’m holding it, the bone is darker because it was wet.
D3DAD42A-BD1B-468C-A9D9-01C6352D0CF2.jpeg
D2C57349-DD27-4502-9823-1A37052B2D85.jpeg
CD8A0CA9-87EC-4148-BE5D-36437BD7439D.jpeg
C8D08DDA-94C6-4B8F-8BE5-9B7A3A00B387.jpeg

OP
OP
K

Knsomers

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! After looking at some pics, I’m definitely thinking along those lines. Small cow or maybe sheep scapula. Definitely the end of a shoulder blade of some type of animal.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Just in case it is human, it might be the right thing in turning it over to Law Enforcement along with showing them the location where it was found. IMHO, it appears to be the upper portion of the human tibia bone, the larger leg bone below the knee.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Knsomers

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking more at some scapula pictures of animals, and I’m just not as sure anymore. The circular concavity looks right, and the profile looks right, but there’s something off about the shape.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Knsomers

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does resemble the one end of a human tibia from a side view, but that circular concave portion of the bone I found doesn’t quite match the end view of a human tibia.

Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a cut vertebrae, probably from a cow

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread