I don't see Garrett424s, Osages or my detectors becoming obsolete any time soon.
Can I get another "Amen to that brother" ??
Seriously, I haven't even touched any of my BH machines yet this year. Although they're good machines the Delta is doing what I need it to do so far.
My ONE and ONLY complaint about the BH's has always been the lack of depth. They're great for shallower targets and I have found gold, silver, jewelry and very old coins with all of them.
My Rat Shack Land Star clone is definitely the best out my BH's. It hits pretty deep, especially in AM mode but after going over most of my spots with the Delta after having hunted them with the BH's, there was just no comparison.
Otoh, I have a hunt planned in about 3 weeks where I'm taking a lady friend's two young kids. The little one is only 7 and the Tracker IV is PERFECT for her. The older boy is 12 and he'll be using the Land Star clone.
I haven't touched the 202 since I got the LS clone. I'm converting it (the 202) to a submersible unit VERY soon. If it gets fried (not that I'll let it) that's the one I would miss the least. It's a great machine for what it is but I've definitely outgrown it.
But at the end of the day all of those BH units found treasure and taught me SO much. I'll always respect them. They were the PERFECT starter units for me because I knew basically nothing (although I thought I did).
But, once I started swinging the Delta; forget about it. The performance of that machine still surprises me at times. When I dig a miniscule nail, pull tab pieces or tiny piece of foil at 7-8 inches, I'm more than impressed.
I dug my 1807 Draped Bust LC at over 9 inches a few weeks ago. The signal was loud and clear. Granted it's a larger copper coin but for a machine I bought used at not much over half price, I'm absolutely tickled. When I eventually upgrade again I'm sticking with the Tek brand, either the Omega or the T2 SE if a good deal presents itself. I've heard wonderful things about both of them.
But, I'll NEVER let that Delta go. I feel like I'm playing with the big boys since I got it and the targets I've been digging have me even more convinced. They hit a home run with that one, there's no doubt.
If a good deal should come my way on one of the new BH units I would gladly get one as well. They've come a long way from the old muffler on a stick days and I'm very glad they did. I can't recall hearing anything negative about them at all (from anyone who has actually USED one).
And it's absolutely true, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a very well performing, DEEP hitting machine anymore. I figured this time would come and I have to say I'm extremely happy that it has.
I know you guys aren't too worried about depth but for my hunting style I needed more depth than I was getting. I don't particularly enjoy digging 10-12" holes all day either but once in a while you do find some nice deep targets. Coins do sink over time and imo, an inch CAN make be the difference between digging that old LC at 9 inches or passing over it, thus leaving it for someone else to find. I feel that I work too hard to knowingly allow that if I don't have to.
Had the BH's had the depth I was looking for I would still be swinging them. I just really hate that feeling of knowing I'm missing targets that are right under my feet. I'm sure I still am at times but not nearly as much as I once did.